Wide Glide vs. Deuce? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

oaksmith wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wide Glide vs. Deuce?

This is a cross post, but I wanted to make sure I got views from both sides.

I've been looking at Wide Glide's and then stumbled onto a Soft Deuce and can buy it at a good price. Both are 2003's with under 1500 miles on them.
Whats the differance between the bikes ie: Ride, handleling, dependabilty, resale and etc.
oaksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

breeliz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Suspension - Dyna has better suspension than Deuce

Powertrain - 2003 Dyna is carb, Deuce is probably going to be EFI. Some would consider this an advantage Deuce... others not. Deuce is TC-88b which is counterbalanced. Dyna has TC-88 which is not counterbalanced but is shock mounted on rubber mounts. At speed, Dyna has slight vibration advantage.

Accessories - Deuce is a softail and you can do a lot more with accessories. Dyna limits you for various reasons. Deuce has chrome front forks... gotta pay extra for that on Dyna. Dyna has Apehangers versus pullback risers on Deuce.

Comfort - About equal

Handling - About equal

Reliability - About equal

All things equal... the two bikes are very similar. You will love either one. Pick the one you like and get it. Don't worry about the technical stuff. In that arena it is too close to call.
What a long strange trip it's been! UNFCKNBLVBLE!

breeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

bikertrashdude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Suspension- Dyna is better, a softail is for looks, though, there is still nothing wrong with it.

Powertrain- what he said

Accessories- while there is alot out there for a softail, more than a dyna. alot of the stuff, is for "all softails, except duece"

my biggest problem with the duece is the rear fender, now I am not talking about if it looks good or not, that subject has been beaten to death. what I am saying is the fact there is not alot of things you can do with it back there, compared to the wide glide. examples, you are limited on what seats you can put on a duece. you are limited on what kind of sissy bar you can put back there. you are also limited on what kind of bags you want to put back there, because of clean struts back there.

because a wide glide is such an old model, there is much more out there. if you are like me and you just want saddle bags, every once and a while, then you can throw them over a glide and use brackets easier, and cheaper than a duece.
before you buy ether bike, figure out what your final look that you want on the bike. ie, bars, seat, pipes, backrest, etc then open a catalog, and see what bike can get there, easier.

but that is just my two cents.
BTW, I am squarely in the Carb side of the house in the Carb vs efi debate.

BTD

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
WOW What a Ride!!!".
bikertrashdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Joek86 wants to know Dino or Syn?
A friend of mine has a '02 WG. He is in love with it. I gotta say, that I really don't care for it's look, but thats my personal opinion. Another friend has an '02 Deuce and is also in love. He has it lowered, and when lowered, the rear fender isn't bad. The bike looks cool!
When I bought my bike, I was vasilating between a King Classic and the Fat Boy. One Of the desiding factors was the lack of idle and low speed vibes........ I guess you can see which one won!!

www.CruiserCustomizing.com/joek

Joek86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ol Rob wants to know Dino or Syn?
I guess I am biased. I like the deuce. But I think the dyna is faster. I don't think you can make a bad choice here. ENJOY!!!

2006 Street Bob--mine
2001 XL883---hers
Ol Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Ranger413 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't even own a Harley yet, but I've narrowed my choices down to the Wide Glide, Deuce, and Softail Standard. I'll pass along some info. given to me by a seasoned Harley owner I know.

He really likes the softail for the ride and looks. He ended up with a Softail Springer but the Wide Glide was his 2nd choice. He hates the Deuce's rear fender.

I like the Deuce, but I'm starting to not like the rear fender. I like the Wide Glide for the apes, chrome, and "chopper" look. The Standard has the same "chopper" look with not so high apes and it's cheaper.

One thing I got from a recent dealer visit was to first have a seat and see if the bike fits. I guess you can always change the seat, controls, and bars to make it fit but I want a bike that fits when I buy it w/o a huge investment. The final straw in the decision process (again, as recomended by the dealership) is to rent the bikes you're interested in. That's my plan. May cost me a buck or two, but I'll be making a well informed decision. Not to mention all the good tips from this site.

Ranger413
Ranger413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ol Rob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't let the handle bars choose the bike for you. For almost every model HArley sells a better fitting replacement bar for just a little $$. Usually get another 1.5-2" of pullback. I know I changes the bars on my deuce for $35 and it made all the difference in the world. I have a friend with a roadking who did the same thing. Both bikes got new "HArley" bars.

2006 Street Bob--mine
2001 XL883---hers
Ol Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Cowboy Carson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Boy did I stumble onto the right questin. I'm in pretty much the same situation.

I plan to purchase my 1st HD shortly after this racing season is over (I run around in circles in the dirt). And I've narrowed my decision down to either: Dyna Wide Glide, Deuce, or Softail standard.

About month ago, took a day off during the week (beautiful weather) and rented a couple of bikes for the day. In the morning, I rode a Deuce, in the afternoon, the Dyna. Spent around 2 hours or more in the seat of each.

My conclusion: very similiar feel, too little of a difference to notice (at least for me). The most glaring difference: vibration of one vs the other at speed. I dunno, maybe I didn't spend enough time on them, but once again, I noticed little difference.

So anyway, I'm leaning towards the softail, mainly based on appearance.

So my choice is now: Standard vs. Deuce and I'm trying to decide which one. And I was hoping someone on here might be able to tell me approximately how many $s worth of parts are added to the Standard to make it a Deuce. I'm not too worried about the labor costs, 'cuz I'll supply the wrenching.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2003, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

valhalla wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with the Deuce because the wife said get what you want . The FXST was by far cheaper off the floor but the motor was flat silver instead of black (which is ugly no matter how much chrome you put on), plus the extra chrome one would put on anyway would total about the 2500 extra. Accessories are scarce for the Deuce but I think part of it is to keep it clean. I love my Deuce till death but it's not a long haul machine when stock, working on mine to get some long distance comfort out of it till I break down and get an UClassic in addition to the FXSTDI
valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Forgot about the WG part of the post. The WG seems to have more leg room, but other than that it's a close call ride and price w/Deuce
Old 11-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

The Deuce
Old 11-11-2003, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

AustinFXDWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got the 2003 WG. One thing you learn when you start looking through the parts catalog is that is seems as if 90% of the parts will fit a "Dyna - Except FXDWG". There is a greater availability of aftermarket exhaust, fenders, tanks, forward controls, and dashes for the standards and softails versus the Dynas, and especially the Wide Glide. Try to find a new full fender tail light for a late model WG, good luck. Plenty of options for the older ones though. That said, it is a great bike. With the windshield, it is good for 4-6 hrs of comfortable cruising at a time. It is surpisingly nimble for a cruiser and carves corners nicely. I like it a lot, but there is still things I would like to do that can't be done with off the shelf parts because it is a Wide Glide. If I was going to to it again, I would start with a softail standard and put the price difference into custom parts. Darn catalogs are worse than crack.
AustinFXDWG

2003 Dyna Wide-Glide' SE203 Cam, Mikuni HSR42 Carb, SE AC, SE-II Slipons, S&S Intelligent Spark Ignition, Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators / Springs, HB125 Tensioner, Passing Lamps, Mustang Touring Solo, Passing lamps
2013 FLTRU Road Glide - Gutless Cat and MadStad windshield
2012 Triumph Tiger800XC, too many farkles to list.
AustinFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cruisin' Deuce

Yard dog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Back in March of this year, I had narrowed my choices to the Deuce and the Wide Glide. The dealer called one day to inform me of a silver/black Deuce just became available from someone backing out of the deal, and I took it.

After 7000 miles in the saddle:

It handles the twisties very well but I can't imagine going on a long trip with it as it comes straight outta the showroom.

The stock seat basically sucks (for me, anyway) and I need to extend the forward controls further out for my comfort level.

But, it all depends on what kind of riding you do most. At first, I didn't envision doing long trips, just going to work and cruising around town and ripping through the local country side. Now, I would like to do some cross country riding and the Deuce (for me) wouldn't be my first choice. I should've gone with the Road King because that would've filled the bill nicely for both kinds of riding.
Yard dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rmsari wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yard Dog you should look at the heritage - Great confort for longer trips 6 or less hrs. Great softail looks w/o the bags. I was originally going to get a Deuce but decided on the Heritage for the comfort factor and it's versatility.
rmsari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Zora wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like both....if they did not make the Deuce(spelled right) I would have bought the WG.

good luck
Zora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement