Cam chain tensioner : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

apgronlund wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Cam chain tensioner

Brought my 2010 softail custom in for a 25,000 service. Having heard about problems with the "plastic" guide on the cam chain tensioner wearing out I asked them to check it out for me. They called me back and said it would take them about 2 hours to just check it out. If it was worn well then it would be an additional couple hours to fix it. Well with them charging $88 bucks an hour I told them not to do it. Don't I just take the the 10 screws off and look at it? Like to hear from anyone who's done this before. If that's all there is to it I can surely do it. Got some wrenching skills was a tank mechanic in the Army in the early 80's. Can't be to much of a differance than wrenching on a tank?
apgronlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

spdrcr137 wants to know Dino or Syn?
its a simple inspection, i watched a few videos on youtube and did it myself, You will need a small dental mirror to get a look at the inner one.
spdrcr137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Easy on the muscle. You're used to sledge hammers and a torch working on that tank. Now you're playing with aluminum. You'll pull those threads quicker than a stripper gets off your lap when the money's gone. Get a service manual and pay strict attention to the torque specs.

Enjoy but beware, working on these scoots is addictive.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

apgronlund wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yea, You tube is a great idea. Thanks. When you checked yours did they need replacing?
apgronlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

jonny oz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unless I'm missing something, the problem you're referring to was with the pre 07 spring loaded tensioners. The newer hydraulic ones were supposed to address the premature wear issue. Don't quote me, but I THINK the service life is well over 25,000 miles or kilometers.

Once the cam cover is off, it's easy to see the 1st tensioner, but it is tricky to get a mirror at the right angle to get a good view of the back one, and VERY tricky to make
a good call on how worn it is.
Big Boyz street heads
V&H Hi Lo Straightshots, black heat wrapped
Ness Big Sucker
PC3
07 style camplate and oil pump
Andrews 26N conversion cams
Hippo VPC
Progressive fork springs
SE quick install adjustables
Homemade paint (flat/gloss flame job)
100 TQ, 89 HP, tuned by R&L Motorcycles
jonny oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by apgronlund View Post
Brought my 2010 softail custom in for a 25,000 service. Having heard about problems with the "plastic" guide on the cam chain tensioner wearing out I asked them to check it out for me. They called me back and said it would take them about 2 hours to just check it out. If it was worn well then it would be an additional couple hours to fix it. Well with them charging $88 bucks an hour I told them not to do it. Don't I just take the the 10 screws off and look at it? Like to hear from anyone who's done this before. If that's all there is to it I can surely do it. Got some wrenching skills was a tank mechanic in the Army in the early 80's. Can't be to much of a differance than wrenching on a tank?
You have the " new and improved" style. Don't worry about it untill you reach about 50,000 miles.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Tynker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
You have the " new and improved" style. Don't worry about it untill you reach about 50,000 miles.

I just replaced my cams with Andrews 48H's. My plastic tensioners looked like they had 10 miles on them. I have a 2010 Heritage with 41,000 miles on the clock.... My advise is don't worry about yours for another 50 K miles.
Tynker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jack ***

mikedc3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depending on the model, you may have to remove the exhaust to get the timing cover off. It's not a 10 minute job.

I donít know of one Muslim or Hindu who came over on The Mayflower or fought in The Revolutionary War and I donít believe that we should have to change the customs of our country to accommodate their ways.

I believe that the official language of America is English and that the people who come here should be required to learn how to speak and write it and not the other way around.

Charlie Daniels
mikedc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

jonny oz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oh, another reason that helped me justify the swap is the 07-up oil pumps have more capacity than the previous version. Probably not a game changer but it sure doesn't hurt
Big Boyz street heads
V&H Hi Lo Straightshots, black heat wrapped
Ness Big Sucker
PC3
07 style camplate and oil pump
Andrews 26N conversion cams
Hippo VPC
Progressive fork springs
SE quick install adjustables
Homemade paint (flat/gloss flame job)
100 TQ, 89 HP, tuned by R&L Motorcycles
jonny oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

07heri wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

My inner on the 07 was toast at 19,000 miles. Pieces of it were broke off and in the bottom of the chest. They still need to be inspected.
07heri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07heri View Post
My inner on the 07 was toast at 19,000 miles. Pieces of it were broke off and in the bottom of the chest. They still need to be inspected.
He was asking about a 2010 model motor.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired

rkt88403 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

2007 and 2010 have the same style of tensioners.
I wanna die young at a very old age.
rkt88403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bigdog1949 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ya got a longway to go !!,i have 75.000 on my 07 103 ,204 cams and mcr heads,your wasting your time pullin it apart !!
bigdog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

07heri wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

2007...2010...what's your point? They still need to be inspected. Anyone that thinks they're bulletproof and can neglect inspecting them is in for a big surprise.

I think too many folks read the forums and think it's gospel. I really don't care what people do or don't do with their bikes. My point is these tensioners are no different than any other maintenance item and need to be inspected. If someone believes everything they read on a forum and choose to neglect things it's on them.

Again, I had an inner bad at 19,000 miles. It is in everyone's best interest to inspect them. Enough said....
07heri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07heri View Post
2007...2010...what's your point? They still need to be inspected. Anyone that thinks they're bulletproof and can neglect inspecting them is in for a big surprise.

I think too many folks read the forums and think it's gospel. I really don't care what people do or don't do with their bikes. My point is these tensioners are no different than any other maintenance item and need to be inspected. If someone believes everything they read on a forum and choose to neglect things it's on them.

Again, I had an inner bad at 19,000 miles. It is in everyone's best interest to inspect them. Enough said....
"There is always the one exception that makes the rule."

The inner chain on the '09 and up are from different suppliers my local MoCo dealer said.

Last edited by webco2; 02-03-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement