Fuel leaking : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

67duce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fuel leaking

Nice day here in Ia , was planning to get a ride in today.
Went into the garage pulled my bike out of it's spot and turned the switch on and got a nice little fuel shower on the left side

My disconnect is leaking , pulled it out , cleaned off a little corrosion on the line connector and put it back together , leaks worse.

I'm wondering if it's the line side or the tank connector ? ( FXSTDI ) I'm guessing the only fix is to replace one or the other , is one more common to fail ?

Thanks in advance for any help .

Last edited by 67duce; 11-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.
67duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dont know what type or make of quick-dissconnect your using but in most cases there is usually an '0 Ring' in the female end of the coupler. This could be your problem child.
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

I did go back out and found some "O" rings I had ,one fit just right over the male end ,pushed it in and it worked for today.

I suspect your right , I'll look at it better tomorrow. It's the OEM connector , maybe run by Harley and see if the parts manual has an exploded view. It would nice if thats all I needed.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
your wonderfull HD dealer don't sell just that o-ring they want you to buy the whole fuel line,nice of them huh.do a search on here there is someone who has the part number for an o-ring at advanced auto and another a place where you can order one. good luck
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

if you can't find the part number let me know i have it written down somewhere
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67duce View Post
I did go back out and found some "O" rings I had ,one fit just right over the male end ,pushed it in and it worked for today.

I suspect your right , I'll look at it better tomorrow. It's the OEM connector , maybe run by Harley and see if the parts manual has an exploded view. It would nice if thats all I needed.
I would just get a pick & pull out the 0 Ring & take it to a local transmission shop if ya have one around or go to Napa, O Reilly or any parts store, they usually have a vast assortment.

The stealer will only bendyaover.

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

i will tell you this that is not a standard or metric o-ring,it's an odd ball we went though a big selection of both and ones to little and the other to big.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

I think the ones I have are a variety pack for automotive A/C lines , the center was big enough to allow flow through and the OD was slightly smaller than the OD of the male end, so it's sandwiched in there , but it ain't sealing tight, it was already starting to leak when I got home, not like it was but that was just a temporary fix to ride today.

I'm off tomorrow so I'll pull it out and try to match it up , got plenty of tranny shops and parts stores around to check with.

If you do have a part # that would be great if it's not too much trouble. Save some hunting.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Did a search and found the "O" ring part # , it's a John Deere # R26286 , got a dealer just up the road .
Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

that's pretty nice of HD to use something like that is't it? these things fail regularly they should make the part easy to get.harley is just trying to up sell us.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

I was out and about so I stopped by the dealer , the parts fiche only shows the line & valve /connector as one part that they would gladly sell me for $125.00 that did include a new fuel filter , but hey it's the updated one Ha Ha , it will take a few $1.30 O rings before I see the need for that.

JD should have 3 O-rings for me today yet.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
that's pretty nice of HD to use something like that is't it? these things fail regularly they should make the part easy to get.harley is just trying to up sell us.
Check the posts already made, 0 Rings come in .03125 sizes all the way up to .125 & that is for intrecate sizing, I suggested a Trans Shop because of past experience. Assortments that are explicit to size have every size available in increments of 1/32". If you had the top size 0 ring (oversized) & the bottom size 0 ring (undersized) 0 ring ... including the original OEM ring there is no reason why ..you cant get an 0 ring which is of the proper size to match.
Seriously no one could care less if its IMP or METRIC. When ya get down to a .03125 it a matter of finding the one ya need.

A/c 0 rings are green, hydraulic 0 rings are black. Keep in mind one 0 ring is to contain oil & the other is to contain freon..as we used to call it.

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Old 11-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67duce View Post
I was out and about so I stopped by the dealer , the parts fiche only shows the line & valve /connector as one part that they would gladly sell me for $125.00 that did include a new fuel filter , but hey it's the updated one Ha Ha , it will take a few $1.30 O rings before I see the need for that.

JD should have 3 O-rings for me today yet.
Smart Choice Duece.... I would never give in to anyone who is trying to eagle in on your vulnerbility as I call it.

They (HD) never have been or ever will be the only supplier/provider of an 0 ring, Maybe once you find the fit you could turn around & become a supplier to them (HD) @ 1/10th of the cost. Its a bendoverbackwards approach made by a fancy retailer selling shirts & bikes. Remember this 88% of all shoppers are women, so what % is left to buy a ride. Thats right 12%

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Well that part # ended up being too big for the connector , must be for the bung so I'll hit a trans shop or the parts stores and match it up.

Oh I forgot to thank you both for your tip's , I was almost certain I was going to be dealer's next parts counter victim.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

it's not the O.D. or I.D. of the ring it's the actual size the ring is made of.go to advanced auto and ask for part 64492.1 and see what they come up with.tranny o-rings is a very good idea also.let us know about that part number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement