Replacing turn signals : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

bullitt53 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Replacing turn signals

I have just bought the replacement HD Bullet turn signals and went to install them on my 09 Heritage Classic. It looks like I have to install the lights and run the connected wires right back to the panel. Is there an easier way to connect them to the old wiring. I hate the thought of having to rewire all 4 lights.
Thanks
bullitt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are you doing front and back? Just front, just back?

Anyway, you don't have to run them "to the panel".

For the front, there is a connector on the right side of the gas tank.

For the rear, the wires go through the fender from the sides, then are routed to the back of the fender near the tail light. The wires go BACK through the fender, and plug into the "base" of the tail light. Remove the tail light lens (easy, just two screws), and you will see where they plug in.

I left the dealership in late 2007, worked on 08s but never any 09s, but I *think* this info is still good.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, yes I am doing front & back. Not too mechanically inclined, so this is a big help, nothing on the directions with the lights. They say to refer to the service manual, but not everyone has one.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

ThunderBueller wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperDude View Post
Are you doing front and back? Just front, just back?

Anyway, you don't have to run them "to the panel".

For the front, there is a connector on the right side of the gas tank.

For the rear, the wires go through the fender from the sides, then are routed to the back of the fender near the tail light. The wires go BACK through the fender, and plug into the "base" of the tail light. Remove the tail light lens (easy, just two screws), and you will see where they plug in.

I left the dealership in late 2007, worked on 08s but never any 09s, but I *think* this info is still good.
Yeah, the connector on the right side is under the tank along the frame. Nearly impossible to get to without removing the tank. PITA!

2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold but miss it.
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2005 FXSTB--Sold. Gonna miss it!
2010 FLTRX--Love it!!

ThunderBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt53 View Post
Thanks, yes I am doing front & back. Not too mechanically inclined, so this is a big help, nothing on the directions with the lights. They say to refer to the service manual, but not everyone has one.
The part you might not know, is that you're going to need the "pins" that go on the end of the wires, as well as the connector "case" they go into. I don't think they come with the signals themselves. The tool used to crimp the pins onto the wires is super expensive, you might be able to get it done with some small needle nosed pliers.

As Cop_Stanger says, accessing the front is going to be tough. You will probably have to unbolt and slightly lift the tank (disconnect the fuel line at the tank, it uses a "quick connect" fitting). Place a piece of something on top of the forward rocker box, as the clamp on the crossover line will try and scratch it.

ChopperDude
Old 05-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

The lighs have the connectors on the wires. Seems like a job that may be a little out of my league. Is it possible to cut & splice the wires without doing all the rewiring on the front?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
The lighs have the connectors on the wires. Seems like a job that may be a little out of my league. Is it possible to cut & splice the wires without doing all the rewiring on the front?
Certainly possible. The two wires are in a separate piece of insulation. Just cut the wires where you want the joint to be made, then run a razor blade down the *middle* of that outer insulation... you can then peel the two separate wires apart and do your soldering on the wires there.

ChopperDude
Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Beauty, sounds like a plan. Will post how this works out.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

anubisss wants to know Dino or Syn?
Disassembling the connectors is not too much of a hassle as long as you have the right tools. I used a small jeweler's screwdriver. You can also just slide the tank back as opposed to removing completely to gain access to the front signal plug. Be careful you do not break the fuel crossover line.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for everything, got it all sorted out. It was a pinched wire giving me all the trouble. By the way, don't by fuses at the dealer, 3 - 15amp fuses $10.00, 5 at the local auto supply $4.99
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Thanks for everything, got it all sorted out. It was a pinched wire giving me all the trouble.
Hey man... was that pinched wire up front or in the back? Glad to hear you got it whipped.

ChopperDude
Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Pinched in the front, one side was the new turn signal, then the other had a pinched spot light wire. 5 hours, 5 fuses and a lot of cursing on Sunday morning rectified the problem. Heading to Laconia next Wed., needed everything in running order.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

wjsmithjr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am impressed. I just replaced the light bar on my Heritage with the passing lamps and turn signals along with a new headlight. I would put a candle in a mason jar before I would do that again. Holy cow what a headache.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rears were so simple, unplug old, plug in new. Fronts could have been the same, but noooooooo, gotta be a friggin' mechanic to do them the "correct" way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement