Carb vs. Fuel Injection : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

garyad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Carb vs. Fuel Injection

I have been looking at a stock 2002 Heritage, 2600 miles w/carb. My question is what are the pros and cons of FI and carb. Should I be looking for something a little newer w/FI? All opinions welcome.
garyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
I haven't seen your bird.

MadCity is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I suggest you read through some of the threads discussing carbs and EFI in the Fuel Systems Forum.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCity View Post
I suggest you read through some of the threads discussing carbs and EFI in the Fuel Systems Forum.
I did. There is alot of good info on each but I am just looking for some opinions one vs. the other. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

fxr4mikey wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyad View Post
I did. There is alot of good info on each but I am just looking for some opinions one vs. the other. Thanks.

I didn't go over there and read the post in that forum, but are you saying that there's NO OPINIONS posted over there? So you're asking here ?

fxr4mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ride Free

BoomerBob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pro's and Con's to both. EFI can be fine tuned to a gnat's butt but it cost a lot of money to do it right. I just spent $800 doing that very thing. The carb is simple, direct, and almost anyone can rejet a carb with a few jets and a little patience.

Start up and warm up is brainless with EFI. With a carb you have to turn open the pet rooster and pull the choke knob and remember to push it back in before fouling the plugs. No biggie if you know your way around bikes at all.

EFI is in existence to appease the EPA otherwise the models besides the FLHT(C)(U)'s would still be carbed in my humble opinion. In my experience the EFI doesn't get much better gas milieage. A little maybe but not much.
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Dave63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Carb = Controlled fuel leak. Will never be accurate throughout the entire rev-range.

EFI = Computer controlled fuel delivery. Also programable. Will deliver more HPs by consistancy alone.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

BrianK wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 06 Deuce with EFI (which I was at pains to order specifically) and a PCB III. No real "problems" to date, but if I had to do it over, I'd get a carb. I do my own service, and could handle a carb but I wouldn't be able to handle an EFI problem. As I say, no problems so far, but I'm a carb fan.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr4mikey View Post
I didn't go over there and read the post in that forum, but are you saying that there's NO OPINIONS posted over there? So you're asking here ?

Plenty of OPINIONS there. Doesn't hurt to ask for fresh opinions, does it?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
--Doof 43--

Serg06 wants to know Dino or Syn?
As I am finding out, this EFI is turning out to be a pain in my a$$. I can't get it tuned right at all. I just started working with a guy that works with or at PC headquarters. I paid $600 to come and find this thing is still pinging. I'm not sure what the heck the prob is but the guy's that tuned it were new at tunning. So it was my fault to think it was as easy as plug and play. Hopefully with the help of the feller from dynoresearch it will be taken care of. Carbs have always been much easier to work with.

Serg

06 Street Glide (Sheala) 124" S&S
Super sucker A/C
True Duals.

THE SCORE:

Asphalt=1
Me=0
Serg06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nothing wrong with a carb. Especially if no major engine modifications have been made, and they're much easier to repair for a backyard mechanic or indy.

I have an FI bike, but wouldn't be a bit concerned about owning a carb. I wrenched for 4 years, and a properly setup carb rode just fine.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

fxr4mikey wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyad View Post
Plenty of OPINIONS there. Doesn't hurt to ask for fresh opinions, does it?
no man, not at all, getting opinions is 'good stuff'

Best of luck to you in your decision !
fxr4mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Big-G wants to know Dino or Syn?
My bike has a carb. Many times I wish I had a FI.

Cold starts are fine, but after its been shut down a while it's always a guessing game...choke a little...choke all the way...no choke...

A person does get used to what the bike needs, but FI would seem to be goof proof.

2009 Ultra 103
Big-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 02 has the Timken bearings, I would rather have them and a carb than not have them and have efi. If the price is right, there are aftermarket units that are said to be self programmable and that have wide band sensors.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

dickey wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have both, carb & EFI, with race tuner (SERT). The ride with the carbed bike is more "relaxed" and less hurried, and also much smoother as far as surge & jerkiness at slow speeds. Also sounds better at idle. But ya gotta really let it warm up before it will run well, with the EFI it's "hit the starter & go". Both have their pros & cons. But if I had to sell one bike, I would keep the carb, mainly because of that smooth,relaxed loping ride.
dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BK Meyers wants to know Dino or Syn?
carb vs efi

In the past year I've been lucky enough to own a carbed bike (my '96 Road King with an S&S Super E carb) and a 2006 Heritage with fuel injection. I took the Heritage in on a trade for a race car I was selling.

Was able to ride both bikes back to back during cold weather. A "pro" for the fuel injected bike was instant cold start up. No throttle twist, just turn the ignition on, wait for the pump to prime and hit the start button. A "con" on the fuel injected bike was that the idle never seemed "right" and always seemed to be too high, even after warming up to operating temp. Throttle response was good and ride was smooth.

On the carb bike cold weather start up is a little more involved, especially if it has been sitting a while. Even so all I have to do is pull the choke lever, twist the throttle a couple of times and hit the switch. Let it run for 15-30 seconds, push choke back in to close and go. Very rarely do I leave the driveway with the choke on. If the weather is above 50F then it's usually pull choke, 1 twist on throttle and hit the button. Hot start is usually simpy turn it on and hit the button.

Keep in mind, neither system (carb or FI) does away with the fact that you are running an air-cooled engine and that it needs to have some heat in it before you get even mildly aggressive on the throttle. *****My driveway is 1/4 mile from the main road so I have a little time for warm up before I have to accelerate thru all the gears*****

Nothing wrong with a carbed bike. On the same hand nothing wrong with an FI bike. I like both but tend to prefer a carbed unit due to costs related to performance upgrades and tuning ease/availability.

IMHO, you are not going to go wrong with puchasing the carbed 2002 Heritage.

Good luck with your decision and ride safe,
BK
BK Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement