logical put it pretty damn well for you.
Personally, if that's the two you are trying to decide between, I think you're better off starting with a FatBoy... the $2500 or so difference is well worth the black/chrome motor... you wouldn't want to split the case on an FXST to get them black. Don't bother looking at the pies, they suck on both bikes.
I really wanted a Softail Custom like they stopped selling in '99, but they "replaced" it with the Deuce, which I don't particularly care for at all. I really didn't like the grey motor, bars, laced rear wheel, and seat of the Standard, nor did I like the wheels, styling, and FL front end of the FatBoy or Heritage, so I bought a Night Train!
- drag bars = perfect
- badlander seat = perfect
- solid 16" rear wheel = cool, but didn't care for the black finish in the center
- spoked 21" front wheel = cool, but spokes suck to clean
- all black motor = cool, but needed a slight touch of chrome for me. the FXST has no chrome on the motor either, just grey, so if I wanted to chrome out the motor, I'd be spending the same but would have black cases and cylinders (I don't like the grey)
- FX front end = perfect
- bobtail rear fender = ok... I'll probably end up losing that one of these days.
- blacked out look = cool, but needed a touch of chrome to break it up.
I also swapped out my wrinkle black oil tank for a vivid (gloss) black tank that matches my paint... I don't care for the chrome tanks, I think the oil tank should match the gas tank and fenders.
I'm in love