the big differences between a standard softatil and a Fatboy? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

antgriff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unhappy the big differences between a standard softatil and a Fatboy?

I know this sounds really stupid, but I am really not too knowledgeable about the differences between the styles in softtails.

I am wanting a Halrey softtail that I can customize. But I am confused about the differences of a standard softtail and a Fatboy.

Could any one please help me out with these differences?

Thanks,
antgriff
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

logical wants to know Dino or Syn?
I assume you have looked at Harley's site?

Fat Boy has the fat FL front end w/16 inch tire........... Standard the 21 inch front tire and skinny front forks

Fat Boy- solid alluminum wheels................ Standard- laced wheels

Fat Boy- chrome and black engine, chrome oil tank .............Standard- grey engine, less chrome, black oil tank

Each has different fenders, handlebars, seats, exhaust and head/tail lamps

Both have same engine internals, frame, gas tank and dash.

Fat Boy is 35 pounds heavier and $2500 more

They are of course both in the softail family so they are still more alike than different. For something to customize it comes down to which front end and which rear fender you like. Most everything else can be easily changed. The standard will cost a fair amount to chrome up the engine and oil tank if you want it chrome like the Fat Boy. The oil tank alone is over $300 and a pain to get at. The chrome engine kits are $900 and who knows for the trans.

Last edited by logical; 04-09-2003 at 06:59 PM.
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

JFScheck wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also think the rake is a little steeper on the Standard vice the Fatboy...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

Both have 32 degrees rake in the steering head. There may be a little rake within the triple tree in the Standard but I am not sure....more likely is that there is just a slightly different offset in the different trees. They do have slightly different amounts of trail but I think that is just due to tire diameter and/or tree offset......could also be the raked tree if it exists. Either way...the frame itself is the same.

Last edited by logical; 04-10-2003 at 03:35 PM.
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

Both have 32 degrees rake in the steering head. There may be a little rake within the triple tree in the Standard but I am not sure. They do have slightly different amounts of trail but I think that is just due to tire diameter......could also be the raked tree if it exists. either way...the frame itself is the same.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

94c4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Standard has +2 rake in the triple tree.
My opinion is that if you want customise is better to start from the Standard.
That's what I did.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Viken Wellman wants to know Dino or Syn?
my wife wants the fat boy foot boards on her standard so dont frget about the cost of changing them. i found out and decided to go with aftermkt boards. they dont sell a kit to do this you have to peice it together.
Viken Wellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

chops wants to know Dino or Syn?
You forgot one important, crucial comparison:

Fatboy- beautiful, phat, Harley on steroids, sled of sleds
Standard- bea 3T^7har le - f44))" sle

...so sory, havig keyboard problemms have to contin ue lat er
Old 04-21-2003, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

Friar wants to know Dino or Syn?
I join antgriff in my lack of knowledge, not complete novice but pretty close. I am wanting to obtain another swingarm to have chromed - will any soft tail fit or does it have to be more specific? Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

DrHeathenScum wants to know Dino or Syn?
logical put it pretty damn well for you.

Personally, if that's the two you are trying to decide between, I think you're better off starting with a FatBoy... the $2500 or so difference is well worth the black/chrome motor... you wouldn't want to split the case on an FXST to get them black. Don't bother looking at the pies, they suck on both bikes.

I really wanted a Softail Custom like they stopped selling in '99, but they "replaced" it with the Deuce, which I don't particularly care for at all. I really didn't like the grey motor, bars, laced rear wheel, and seat of the Standard, nor did I like the wheels, styling, and FL front end of the FatBoy or Heritage, so I bought a Night Train!

Night Train:
- drag bars = perfect
- badlander seat = perfect
- solid 16" rear wheel = cool, but didn't care for the black finish in the center
- spoked 21" front wheel = cool, but spokes suck to clean
- all black motor = cool, but needed a slight touch of chrome for me. the FXST has no chrome on the motor either, just grey, so if I wanted to chrome out the motor, I'd be spending the same but would have black cases and cylinders (I don't like the grey)
- FX front end = perfect
- bobtail rear fender = ok... I'll probably end up losing that one of these days.
- blacked out look = cool, but needed a touch of chrome to break it up.

I also swapped out my wrinkle black oil tank for a vivid (gloss) black tank that matches my paint... I don't care for the chrome tanks, I think the oil tank should match the gas tank and fenders.

I'm in love

"43" Pantless Assclown
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

DrHeathenScum wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by Friar
I join antgriff in my lack of knowledge, not complete novice but pretty close. I am wanting to obtain another swingarm to have chromed - will any soft tail fit or does it have to be more specific? Thanks
same swingarm on all the new softails.

what year is yours?

"43" Pantless Assclown
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement