HandleBars/Pain Between Shoulder Blades : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

ramnj wants to know Dino or Syn?
Exclamation HandleBars/Pain Between Shoulder Blades

I'm using the stock handlebars on my 05 Fatboy (FLSTF) and after riding for about an hour, I start having a burning pain between my shoulder blades...gets real bad after several hoiurs.

Any of you guys had the same problem? Did changing handlebars fix the problem, and if it did, what handle bars did you go with?

Thanks,

Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have a Road King. Same problem. I changed bars. I also carry a supply of Ibuprofen. If I know its going to be a long ride, I take one an hour before I go.

Some have gone to apes and swear by them.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

What type of bars did you get and did they help?

I don't really like the apes.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this? luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
WARNING!! THE FOLLOWING OPINION IS MINE, AND MINE ALONE!!

I switched to drag bars with a 6" straight riser, and have never felt more comfortable on my 06 FXSTI. I think the slight forward lean takes the pressure off points that don't need pressure on them.
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.
Stop feeding the trolls!
luvstoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnj View Post
What type of bars did you get and did they help?

I don't really like the apes.
I switched to stock Road King Custom bars which are a "beach" bar. They helped but did not completely eliminate the problem. I find the more I ride, the less of an issue it is.

I never liked apes either. But, after riding a bike with them, I am rethinking it for mine. I am more for comfort. Even if I don't care for the looks.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

2kflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try relaxing your hold on the grips. I used to have the same problem when riding the twisties on a long road and read somewhere (probably here) that too tight of a grip can cause it. I relaxed my grip and problem went away.

"Significant problems cannot be resolved with the same level of intelligence that created them"

"My Glock is my American Express, I never leave home without it"
2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

sportchuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used to have this problem. I went riding with a chiropractor. At a stop he asked, "Do you have pain between your shoulder blades?" I said I did. He asked why I shrugged when I ride. It seems lots of riders with stock type bars shrug when they ride. Ape hangers elinate this problem cuz with your arms higher you can't shrug as much. Drag eliminate this problem because you can't shrug as much. But with stock position you can shrug more and tend to hold this shrug position you get that pain. I didn't believe him until I sat on my bike grabbed the stock bars and could to a full shrug. Then I sat on my bros v-rod and tried to shrug and it hurt to do it. Then sat on my bike put my hands in an ape hanger postion tried to shrug and it hurt to do it. Seems because it hurts to shrug in in ape hanger and drag bar position we don't. But because we can in the stock position we do the shrugging gives us les strain on the forearms ad makes it seem like we are more comfortable and we are for a while then the shrugging kicks in. It makes sense. I still have my stock bars but since the doc has mentioned it now I stay concious of the shrugging and relax my shoulder no more pain. I still like drag bars and may get them for looks though.
sportchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

I ride with a very lose grip on the handlebars. Not sure what is causing the pain but I'm going to look into different handlebars.

thanks,
Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Discarded Crew Member

ktwillys wants to know Dino or Syn?
while you are riding have someone take a picture of you on your bike..
you will find that you are leaning forward and that is pushing your shoulders together (shrugging) causing the muscles to spasm...

what you need to do is change the handle bars and use risers if needed to put the arch in your lower back again, that will greatly reduce the muscle strain on your back and help keep you from shrugging your shoulders.

then you can also use a back rest to help support your lower back..

600 to 700 miles a day no problem...

To be old and wise,
you must first be young and stupid......
Here's to old and stupid....

Orthopedic Motto
Screw it, Glue it, or Nail it..

DisCarded Crew

04 FLTRI
SE Welded/Balanced Flywheel
103 CI
CP Hi-Comp Pistons
Andrews 54G Gear Drive Cams
S&S Hi-Lift Valve Springs
Timken Conversion
Baisley SuperSTock Heads
V&H True Dual Headers
Bassani Slip-on Mufflers
T-Max Ignition System
Feuling Oil Pump
Custom Feuling Cam Plate
ktwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

peterf wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same problem with my road king.The first thing I did was **** can the stock seat,Ive always had a mustang seat on my other harleys,so I put that on then got new bars with more pullback from wild1(chubbybars),you can give them a call there great to deal with.This should make the bike fit you.hope this helps, ride safe ,Pasta
peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterf View Post
I had the same problem with my road king.The first thing I did was **** can the stock seat,Ive always had a mustang seat on my other harleys,so I put that on then got new bars with more pullback from wild1(chubbybars),you can give them a call there great to deal with.This should make the bike fit you.hope this helps, ride safe ,Pasta
Thanks...just looked at their site and will call them tomorrow morning.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tyuditsky wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same problem, went to apes. Change the bars to anything else and it'll either go away or hurt somewhere else.
tyuditsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

LexKing wants to know Dino or Syn?
ramnj;

I am sure that you are on the right track with changing your handle bars. If your current bars will alllow; try riding the bike with very good or correct posture. You will be surprised at the change this makes on the pain in the neck and shoulders.

Lex
LexKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

06 flstfise wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had the same problem. Went to mini apes and took all the pain away. Also redid my seat at the same time. Never really liked the apes but did a demo ride on a dyna with some and found them to be really comfortable. You can also try taller risers. Good luck.
06 flstfise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

ssbuckle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnj View Post
I'm using the stock handlebars on my 05 Fatboy (FLSTF) and after riding for about an hour, I start having a burning pain between my shoulder blades...gets real bad after several hoiurs.

Any of you guys had the same problem? Did changing handlebars fix the problem, and if it did, what handle bars did you go with?

Thanks,
I had the same problem. I switched to White Bros. Bikini Beach Bars and H-D Nostalgia Grips. Now I can ride 500 miles a day with no pain.
ssbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement