help with softail deuce windshield : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

swansong04 wants to know Dino or Syn?
help with softail deuce windshield

well , i think i a gonna break down and purchase a windshield for my 2005 softail deuce .. i hate windshields so much , but the wife and wanna take our first fairly big trip so i think it might be a necessary evil .. anyway i think i have narrowed it down (not much narrowing to do ) to a Memphis shade sport shield .. the problem is i can't seem to find quick release mounting anywhere .. well nobody seems to list them .. i was in the Harley dealership today and the sport shield they mentioned i can't even find on goggle grrrr. and they said they got a email from their Memphis shade distributor and they said that Memphis shade is coming out with a brand new quick release that is even better than the one they already have .. anyway i am rambling on here but i just want a nice discreet windshield for my deuce...anybody have any suggestions ??? thanks
oh yeah the windshield they mentioned was a sport shield Tucson ?huh ??!????
Gary
swansong04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
05 Deuce

garchele wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got the HD quick-release detachable compact windshield 58779-05. I ride a lot with it off but use it for longer trips and bug filled night rides. Its a little pricey at $420 but it comes on and off in less than a minute and doesn't leave any docking hardware.
garchele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

George C wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with a 14x14 Windvest.
I do not like the looks of a big windshield on an FX, but the Windvest actually looks pretty darn good on the bike.
It's little, but it also knocks out the bugs and most of the fatigue.

Pics of my 06' Harley FX Softail
George C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

tommydorsey wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm with George - Windvest is nicer looking IMHO. That's what I want for my Deuce. Jim
tommydorsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think that you hate the look or the idea of a windshield, but you tell us that after your first 1500mi trip.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

ThunderBueller is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have a Windvest also and it works pretty good. It's not a quick detach but it's only 4 bolts for the clamps on the bars and only takes a few short minutes to install or remove. I got the tallest one but have it in the middle of it's adjustment. I'm running Deuce bars, risers and SE Deuce tach mount.

2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold but miss it.
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2005 FXSTB--Sold. Gonna miss it!
2010 FLTRX--Love it!!

ThunderBueller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

2001deuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a windvest for my Deuce as well. Looked decent, worked well, made the highway tolerable.

"Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. But it Rocks Absolutely, Too."
2001deuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Deuce Bigelow wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the HD quick release windshield, like posted above, it's on and off in about 15sec and NO hardware left on the bike!

I hate the look of the Deuce with a windshield on it, but it's a MUST for riding in cold weather, when I say cold, I mean below 60* and above 40*, I'm not riding in anything colder than that!
Deuce Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

swansong04 wants to know Dino or Syn?
thanks for all the replies guys !! i will look into the wind vest .. the Harley one is just too much $$$$$$ for the amount of time i will have it on my bike ..

thanks again
Gary
swansong04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

minivan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Once you have taken a trip with a WS, you will never go without one again.. The real test is when you take it off after riding behind it after a 500 mile trip or so...
minivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the HD quick release windshield put on when I bought my Deuce. I don't particularly care for the looks of a windshield, but I sure can't argue with the usefullness of one. lol Every spring I try riding without it, and last about a week before I decide being comfortable is more important than
looking cool. lol
The windshield comes off in about 6 seconds, and goes on in about 10. If I'm going to be riding off hiway I don't use it, but any hiway riding and it goes back on.

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

hollowpoint wants to know Dino or Syn?
Today my Memphis Shade Del Rio was delivered w/quick release hardware. It came in 4 days from J&P Cycles. The mounts are hidden in their catalog-- go to "windshields" & then in the upper right corner click "show all Memphis Shades products".
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Bart Pickett wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a windvest on my Deuce, the clear windshield 14x16. I didn't want a windshield at first but a rock to the forehead changed all that. I am 6' 2" and with it adjusted all the way up it made my skid lid vibrate. I called windvest and they have a shield made for the v-rod that will fit the duce hardware that is 14x18 and it worked great. The lip at the top of the shield flips bugs and stuff right up over my head. I took it off after a few months and put it right back on and its been there ever since.
Bart Pickett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
05 Deuce

Gooms wants to know Dino or Syn?
I sometimes put the HD detachable windshield on my Deuce. I shaved mine down about 21/2" and square off the top a bit. It works great with a half helmet and full face. I like the SST frame that the HD windshields have along with the logo on the front. On long rides, I run with it along with Fox Creek saddle bags and sissy bar w/rack. Around town and bar hopping, everything comes off and the Deuce looks nice.
I've heard positive comments on the Windvest on the wide and narrow glides. I just think they look like the Pope or the President should be givin a speech behind them...LOL.
Gooms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

tireater wants to know where he is and how he got here
Saw a fancy deuce that had a tinted Wind Vest..guy liked it...LOOKED GOOD...
I like mine on the St Bob..the chrome does suck though...Powdercoated hardware satin black...
tireater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.