Oil change help on my FatBoy. : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

rideaholic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil change help on my FatBoy.

I have been wrenching on bikes since I was 11 and this is my first Harley to wrench on. I plan on buying the service manual but just haven't had the chance yet. The owners manual is junk for any useful info on oil change and other things. I did a search and was unable to locate the general directions on an oil change for my Harley.

I see the drain for the oil tank and two drains on the bottom of the engine with one being higher than the other. I would assume that I warm the engine then shut down and remove the oil tank plug. Then remove and replace filter. I read that someone said I don't need to drain the sump. I again assume that is located in the bottom of the engine where the two plugs are located. That would be fine with me since I am not sure if there is a priming procedure after changing oil. Which brings me to my next question, do I need to do a priming procedure? Lastly, if you read this far, thank you, are there any other tips I should know? I really appreciate any and all help and thank you all in advance.

lower sump plug:???

upper sump plug behind braided line:??

rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

minivan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have never removed the crankcase plug on my softails.. Heard more problems than good with doing that..

As you said, warm it up well and remove the tank plug.. Only thing I can add is to remove the add/dipstick plug when draining.. Helps to drain it faster.. Rick
minivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome!! Thanks for the fast reply. Thanks for the dip stick tip too. I probably would have done that anyway, but I definitely will now.

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Its not usual practice to pull the case plug. i would leave it alone unless you have a problem you are trying to solve. Pull the dipstick, drain tank, remove oil filter. Fill new oil filter 3/4 of the way with new oil and install. Install new drain plug with new oring or sealent(whichever you prefer.) fill tank to spec. Let the bike run for a couple minute and then check as per manual...
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP
Its not usual practice to pull the case plug. i would leave it alone unless you have a problem you are trying to solve. Pull the dipstick, drain tank, remove oil filter. Fill new oil filter 3/4 of the way with new oil and install. Install new drain plug with new oring or sealent(whichever you prefer.) fill tank to spec. Let the bike run for a couple minute and then check as per manual...

Thanks for the response. I would not have replaced the drain plug or o-ring unless I saw damage or it leaked. I hope the shop carries them. I am also thinking of how I will fill the filter 3/4 way and then turning that sucker sideways to install without spilling it all over the place. Any tips on that would be helpful.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium octane member

If the o ring is o.k. than no worries, just leave it, they are reuseable if not torn/messed up. As for filling the filter, just sit it mouth up on the bench. Pour in a couple ounces and watch it fill up the sides of the filter. dont put too much in or you will spill....Just a habit i picked up a long time ago that an old timer(dad) taught me.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks again for the reply. I think I am ready to change the oil now. Next comes the other two holes and then the rear tire. I always liked doing my own work and so do my friends like me to do their maintenance too. lol
Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium octane member

Other 2 holes, much eaisier.....You will get it no problem....
Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
fatbillscustoms

FatBill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Owners manuals are just a crutch for those that (fill in the blank)!
SERT - SE A/C
204 CAM
84 hp / 100.6 torque

'04 Fatboy
518 Chubby Wild 1's
Nacelle w/ passing lights
LePera Solo seat
V&H BS Staggered
SE A/C
remap
Progressive airtail
Z Pads (Lyndall Racing Brakes)
FatBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
ovanay elinquentday

GPO03FatBoy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBill
Owners manuals are just a crutch for those that (fill in the blank)!

(fill in the blank) ==> can read

09 XR1200
A few gewgaws - no chrome
Tune by Phaedrus

Quote:
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
John Bernard Books
43+ HP / 43+ Ft-lbs
GPO03FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
On the right hand side of this page is an ad for www.fixmyhog.com They sell a how to video for the Softail.

Was tired of those $250 service fees. Bought the DVD and never paid another dime for any type of service. I highly recommend it!

BTW, your oil drains from under the swingarm.
"Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you?" - Fanny Brice, American actress and singer (1891-1951)
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Retrax wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check out the Scavenger total oil change system. For the twin cam B motor, it is the best $69.95 I have spent (twin cam A kit is a little more expensive because the system uses additional parts). Watch the video, the set up is easy and straight forward. Gets all the old dirty oil out.

www.roguechopper.com
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
You don't need to get every last drop of oil out of the bike. So you don't need to get some scavenging thingy or pull the case plug. Also, the case plug should have red loctite on it, so that sucker won't budge without some heat. Buddy of mine twisted, like a twizler, an allen head socket when he tried to unscrew his crank case plug. Dumb-azz even tried using a breaker bar to get added leverage and it still wouldn't budge.

A couple tips: get the bike nice and hot before draining. Makes it drain alot faster and ensures more oil is in the oil tank when you drain it. When you fill it, add about .5 quarts less then what the manual states. Ride it around a bit to get the fresh oil hot and circulating, check the level and add more oil till its at the proper level (about half way between empty/full).

My last, yet most important, tip is to buy the service manual for your year/model bike.

Good luck...
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Tuffcreek wants to know Dino or Syn?
is the 2001 the same??

I just bought the wife a 2001 classic and it did not have the owners manual. I am going to change oil / filter. I already had plenty of revtec oil and filters for my bagger and was wondering the same as the person above as to where the drain plug is on the tank? Do you need any special tools to get to it , ratchet, socket, and extentsion? Can you get to it ok if it is on a bike lift?? I was told by a old wrench it is just as easy to use a suction gun to get the oil out but I would rather not go that route if I don't have to. thanks for any help..

Tuffcreek

www.patriotguard.org
Tuffcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffcreek
I just bought the wife a 2001 classic and it did not have the owners manual.
Contact your local dealer. They can order you one, as well as a service manual, for that year/model. Or check ebay.

Quote:
I am going to change oil / filter. I already had plenty of revtec oil and filters for my bagger and was wondering the same as the person above as to where the drain plug is on the tank?
Its on the right side of the bike, on the bottom frame rale, underneath the big nut for the swing arm pivot (underneath the seat).

Quote:
Do you need any special tools to get to it , ratchet, socket, and extentsion?
I use an allen head socket on a ratchet wrench, but you can use a regular allen wrench, or a socket on an ratchet wrench. The engine oil, and tranny plugs is a dual fitting type plugs. They can be removed with either a socket or allen wrench No extension needed.

Quote:
Can you get to it ok if it is on a bike lift??
Yes, but you don't need to use a lift if you have a short enough pan to fit underneath the bike. A lift does make it easier though. If you use a lift, make sure the lift isn't hitting the shocks under the frame and alsp make sure to strap it down.

Quote:
I was told by a old wrench it is just as easy to use a suction gun to get the oil out but I would rather not go that route if I don't have to. thanks for any help..
A suction gun would work, but would not get as much oil out as just pulling the drain plug.
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement