Tell me about the vests or jackets H.O.G. members wear : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > Harley-Davidson Owners Group (MOCO Friendly)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

zartoff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Red face Tell me about the vests or jackets H.O.G. members wear

Come on people. I'm serious about this. I've seen long time H.O.G. chapter members wearing vests or jackets with all kinds of patches and pins on them. Tell me about them.

How does a new chapter member set up his patch/pin vest or jacket. Can anybody post some pictures of their vests/jackets? Would love to see how you place the different patches and pins. How do you attach them? Looks to me like if you tried sewing them onto leather it would ruin the leather. Am I wrong in thinking this? ...or maybe you use some kind of fabric glue to apply them? Another thing I'd like to ask is if it's alright to put other non H.O.G. related patches mixed in with the H.O.G. stuff. I mean things like "Save The Whale," or such. You get the idea. If a person put other patches on his chapter vest that had nothing to do with chapter stuff or motorcycles would the other members object. For example, say if you're a peacenik, would it be all right for you to have a patch on your chapter vest announcing "End The War Now"?

This post will probably languish in this seldom used forum for weeks before anybody answers but I hope not. Please everyone, tell me about your chapter vest (and include a pic if you can.)
zartoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

8-Ball wants to know Dino or Syn?
hey zartoff,

Well, I am a HOG member and go to meetings and rides occasionally but don't live and breathe it like some and don't have all the patches and pins, etc., but I can tell you what I have seen.

There are all sorts of variations. Some keep it pretty HOGish while others put whatever they want along with the HOG stuff. They do seem to have a pattern as to how they arrange their yearly patches, but I haven't looked close enough to be of any help. Mostly I didn't want you to lanquish here.

I thought the same thing about ruining the leather, but it doesn't... even thought about the glue. Usually the HOG chapter has someone who sews patches on the side. A real nice gal sewed an emblem on my jacket. It looks great. I was worried that the edges would curl up since it wasn't embroidered directly on the jacket originally, but I don't think you could tell the difference... nice and flat. Your dealer will know someone or a local tailor that does it.

Basically the vest is a vehicle to express yourself as far as I can tell, but I'll tell you one thing... I don't think I would be sporting anything that might be construed as anti-American, or anti-Troops to my chapter meetings and your "End The War Now" qualifies in that category IMHO. Do what you want and what makes you feel comfortable. I guarantee the members will let you know if you have made them feel uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.

discarded CREW

My Scoot
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball
Basically the vest is a vehicle to express yourself as far as I can tell, but I'll tell you one thing... I don't think I would be sporting anything that might be construed as anti-American, or anti-Troops to my chapter meetings and your "End The War Now" qualifies in that category IMHO.
Hey thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I think you're right. The chapter "vest" should probably be limited to H.O.G. stuff and leave the possibly inflamatory stuff off.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jonas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartoff
Come on people. I'm serious about this. I've seen long time H.O.G. chapter members wearing vests or jackets with all kinds of patches and pins on them. Tell me about them.

How does a new chapter member set up his patch/pin vest or jacket. Can anybody post some pictures of their vests/jackets? Would love to see how you place the different patches and pins. How do you attach them? Looks to me like if you tried sewing them onto leather it would ruin the leather. Am I wrong in thinking this? ...or maybe you use some kind of fabric glue to apply them? Another thing I'd like to ask is if it's alright to put other non H.O.G. related patches mixed in with the H.O.G. stuff. I mean things like "Save The Whale," or such. You get the idea. If a person put other patches on his chapter vest that had nothing to do with chapter stuff or motorcycles would the other members object. For example, say if you're a peacenik, would it be all right for you to have a patch on your chapter vest announcing "End The War Now"?

This post will probably languish in this seldom used forum for weeks before anybody answers but I hope not. Please everyone, tell me about your chapter vest (and include a pic if you can.)
I don't know anything about HOG Chapters. But I have seen setups at swap meets, bikes shows, etc. Where they will sew a patch on your jacket for about five bucks. Takes a heavy duty sewing machine, they are experts and will put it on in a couple minutes.

Sherlyn Popelka, DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
anti war symbols and something as american as harley just dont mix.
unless you are onew of the people her that like to lure us in for the kill!

pun intended
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jonas wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was thinking about a rainbow flanked by a p.e.t.a. patch both arranged above a "Impeach Bush" patch. with a embrordered picture of Cindy Sheehan as a shoulder patch. That would really make a statement

Sherlyn Popelka, DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ratt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
I don't know anything about HOG Chapters. But I have seen setups at swap meets, bikes shows, etc. Where they will sew a patch on your jacket for about five bucks. Takes a heavy duty sewing machine, they are experts and will put it on in a couple minutes.

The guys that really know what they are doing ,, will use a glue then sew the patch on with a walking foot industrial machine .....It makes for a real nice job..... rat
ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

tarathatcher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Zartoff, I am also wondering how to place the HOG patches. I'm glad you asked the question, it's been an interesting thread so far. I have ten years of patches and pins, and wasn't sure how to arrange them on my vest. I hope someone posts pics for us. I've been out of the riding scene for a few years, so I don't remember what the vests looked like.

Tara
tarathatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Harris

The only thing that seems at all standardized is the placement of the large HOG patch on the upper back, with the chapter rocker above that. The annual patches I've seen in all sorts of configurations. Since I have a jacket, rather than a vest, I ran mine down the sleeve (next year I'll have to start the other sleeve).

Harris

Last edited by Harris; 01-06-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

rangle44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
the Sergeant at Arms of your local HOG chapter should be able to help you, although to the best of my knowledge there is no strict order as to the placement of the various patches.
rangle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Mike514 wants to know Dino or Syn?
As for putting on the patches some shoe repair shops will sew your patches on. Around here its a set amount like 5 bucks for the first one and if several are put on, it comes out to less than that. And the guy seems to know where they belong, at least according to what the local chapter/ clubs want.
Harris what is the patch on your lower back, can't see it all.
Mike514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Harris

It's one of those outlines of the lower 48, then as you ride in a state you fill it in.

Ditto on the shoe repair shops, or the vendors at rallies. They usually have what they call a "shoepatch" sewing machine, which allows them to get into sleeves, and to sew any direction.

Harris
Old 01-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

nidan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have my HOG pin on top and the rocker pins by year going down underneath
same with mu HOG mileage pins. On the other side I put all the Rally pins . Out back there is the Big chapter/HOG patch and the mileage patch going down the sides in order . To each there own

2009 FJR 1300
nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

A picture would be very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidan
I have my HOG pin on top and the rocker pins by year going down underneath
same with mu HOG mileage pins. On the other side I put all the Rally pins . Out back there is the Big chapter/HOG patch and the mileage patch going down the sides in order . To each there own
Old 01-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harris, thank you much for posting pics of your jacket. It looks great and it gives me an idea of how to set one up. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
The only thing that seems at all standardized is the placement of the large HOG patch on the upper back, with the chapter rocker above that. The annual patches I've seen in all sorts of configurations. Since I have a jacket, rather than a vest, I ran mine down the sleeve (next year I'll have to start the ther sleeve).

Harris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement