H.O.G. ride planner : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > Harley-Davidson Owners Group (MOCO Friendly)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tugboat wants to know Dino or Syn?
H.O.G. ride planner

Has anyone here used this? I cant seem to get it to go on the Blue Ridge Parkway? Any thoughts or direction would be most appreciated.
tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Use Goggle maps, it faster and more user friendly.

One word of caution, if you are riding back roads in an area you have never been to, call the local sheriff's department and ask them about that road first. Main times with google or mapquest, they will show a road that is either not a PAVED road or one that has been proposed and not built yet.

The more rural the area, the less accurate the maps become. The local sheriffs drive these roads daily, they will know if a road is or isn't one to use, and many times they can suggest a alternative road that is a great motorcycle road.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.

Last edited by Jeffytune; 09-19-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

lawman1841 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm trying to use the Road Planner with a recently purchased Road Tech Zumo 660. The Road Planner won't let me save routes much less synch them to the 660.

Does anyone know if Garmin's other computer-based programs will synch with the Road Tech?
lawman1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dmead12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have never been able to use the Road Planner always use something else like MapQuest.
Dmead12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just Wanna Ride

kingsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not trying to be a wise guy, but have you downloaded and installed the Garmin Communicator plug-in? I believe it's required with the HD Ride Planner. Go the the Garmin website, click on support/software. Hope this helps.
kingsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ibc
IronButt

Ibc wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have used it, but it is difficult.
To get an accurate trip, I have to zoom into nearly street level, mark as a waypoint, then expand the map and go to the next part of the route I wamt, zoom back in, drop another waypoint...... a pain, but it can work.
If you don't check the options for the types of roads you want to travel on, the Ride Planner will take the settings you have and map with them.
If tou try to do long stretches of road between waypoints, you may get loop backs or false exits. that's why I zoom in.
As far as the GPS, I don't have any problem with the ride planner identifying my gps. I use the manual mode alot.
Best thing is to play with it until you get a system that works for you.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sorry, I've not used the HOG ride planner but a year ago I used MapQuest to plan a route to the BRP. I then uploaded it to my Nuvi. It worked with no problems for me.

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

UncleLaffey wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had limited luck working with the Harley Ride Planner. it's sad that they are so bad at this aspect of motorcycle touring. I use Garmin MapSource City navigator North America software to build my routes before a ride and then synch to my Nuvi 855. I've done the same thing with my older Nuvi 255. As I understand that the Zumo has a USB port and that should be all you need to connect to your PC and synch a route to your Zumo.
UncleLaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Eccool wants to know Dino or Syn?
Since they 'updated' the Ride Planner, I haven't been able to get it to launch.
Eccool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Gator454 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some days it is good and some days I have had lots of problems with it. I think that it needs to be on a faster server personally.

Gator
Gator454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

MMRanch wants to know Dino or Syn?
DueceDog

I swithched from Magelan to garmin Nuvi just so I could download from mapquest but it wouldn't work for me ...

Did you get a lucky "Key-stroke" or was it just tore-up the day I tried it ?
MMRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Gator454 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have used it several times over the past few years. It seems that they keep fixing little bugs that keep happening in the program. It does seem to be getting a little better as of this last summer.

Gator
Gator454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

VTer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just used it today. I usually work out a route on google maps first for planning purposes as its much quicker than ride planner. Then i'll recreate it on ride planner. I do a lot of dragging waypoints to get the route I want as their suggested routes are usually boring. I can then transfer it too my garmin
VTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement