HOG Mileage Program - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > Harley-Davidson Owners Group (MOCO Friendly)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
Having not seen the issue you refer to I can only take your word for it. Perhaps the rules have changed or perhaps your dealer bent the rules.

Okay, I just checked on the H.O.G. website. Unless you can show where it says the rules have changed you are wrong. Perhaps your dealer did bend the rules for you. Looking at the website there is no mention of a rule change but there is the following,"Important note: Each motorcycle must be enrolled prior to accumulating miles in the program." Evidently the salesman evidently did know what he was talking about! A log in is required so in addition to posting a link, I have copied and pasted the requirements below.
I wish I could find that copy of HOG magazine which mentioned being able to get credit for all miles ridden provided you bought the bike new and still owned that bike. It was from sometime last year as I received my mileage program packet in the mail postmarked 27 October 2011.

The dealer did not bend any rules; all they did was verify the mileage on the form I brought in for him to fill out. I was the one who mailed the form into HOG. I believe I referenced the HOG magazine statement about getting credit for all miles as, you are correct, the application states in bold red letters that you have to be enrolled before you can begin getting credit for miles ridden.

My salesman did not think I would receive credit for all the miles. He even asked me to let him know if I get all the miles so he can encourage others to do the same.

You'll see on the letter HOG sent me that it states I achieved the 1000 thru 60,000 mile award level(s). But in the next paragraph it states "Please be sure to enroll each motorcycle in the program prior to adding miles, so you can obtain credit of all miles you ride."

Did I somehow stumble on a good for one time opportunity? Maybe, I really don't know for sure. What I do know is that I'm going to enroll my next bike at the very beginning just in case.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

gusotto wants to know Dino or Syn?
I didn't find out about the mileage program with my Sportster until I had over 20,000 miles. Made me mad.

This free program should be an automatic enrollment from the dealer when you get the bike.
All part of the sales experience.

When I got the Ultra, I had it enrolled before it went out the door.

The last time I extended my HOG membership, I gripped about lost miles with the Sportster (over 40K).

They did add my Sportster miles to my Ultra miles.
Over 80K total so far, looking for the 100K patch.....

Still... this should be an automatic feature when buying a bike.
gusotto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusotto View Post
I didn't find out about the mileage program with my Sportster until I had over 20,000 miles. Made me mad.

This free program should be an automatic enrollment from the dealer when you get the bike.
All part of the sales experience.

When I got the Ultra, I had it enrolled before it went out the door.

The last time I extended my HOG membership, I gripped about lost miles with the Sportster (over 40K).

They did add my Sportster miles to my Ultra miles.
Over 80K total so far, looking for the 100K patch.....

Still... this should be an automatic feature when buying a bike.
The reason enrollment is not automatic is it creates a lot of records on people who don't even participate in the program. The percentage of HOG members who participate in the mileage program is fairly low. Probably around 35% at best. A rider who finds this program something they want to participate in should take the initiative and join him or herself. Harley has been publicizing this program for years. It is in every issue of HOG Tales, on the website, in the dealership, in the information packet you should have gotten when you bought the bike. Even if you have never seen or been told about it at any of those sources it is hard to believe you have never seen anyone with the patch and rockers. Even based on a 35% average participation, that would mean if you were at an event with only 20 HOG members, 7 of them would have the mileage patch and rockers. Kind of hard to miss.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
FNG :)

dangerousdan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
The reason enrollment is not automatic is it creates a lot of records on people who don't even participate in the program. The percentage of HOG members who participate in the mileage program is fairly low. Probably around 35% at best. A rider who finds this program something they want to participate in should take the initiative and join him or herself. Harley has been publicizing this program for years. It is in every issue of HOG Tales, on the website, in the dealership, in the information packet you should have gotten when you bought the bike. Even if you have never seen or been told about it at any of those sources it is hard to believe you have never seen anyone with the patch and rockers. Even based on a 35% average participation, that would mean if you were at an event with only 20 HOG members, 7 of them would have the mileage patch and rockers. Kind of hard to miss.
When I bought my FLHR as a previously owned bike I took it to the local Harley dealer and financed it through Harley. I haven't gone to meets and don't pay attention to patches and this is the first I have heard of it. I have ridden other brands well over 100,000 and have added about 15,000 to what my Road King had on it when I got it.

Patches, I don't need no stinken patches.

I ride for the enjoyment I get out of it. My wife likes patches though so maybe I will look into it.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan View Post
When I bought my FLHR as a previously owned bike I took it to the local Harley dealer and financed it through Harley. I haven't gone to meets and don't pay attention to patches and this is the first I have heard of it. I have ridden other brands well over 100,000 and have added about 15,000 to what my Road King had on it when I got it.

Patches, I don't need no stinken patches.

I ride for the enjoyment I get out of it. My wife likes patches though so maybe I will look into it.
Then this would not apply to you. First off you have to be a member of the National HOG to participate in the mileage program. Since you only financed at a Harley dealer and bought used, unless you joined HOG on your own or were already a member you couldn't participate anyway. One year membership in HOG comes with a new Harley unless you decline it. All the information on the mileage program is included in your membership package and in every HOG Tales magazine.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wow, how about this? How about you go back to the dealership that you bought your bikes from, get someone to fill out the paperwork and fax it. they can verify the miles, you said. If HOG sends patches and pins then your wife gets happy, if not you are not out anything. Doesn't sound to me to be anything for folks to get wound up about. Some people get lucky and get patches and pins, and others don't. That is how all of life works, right.. You had the fun riding, then what is the big deal. Heck I've put 1/4 mil combined on 5 bikes over the last 30 years, the first and the current were HD's, I had a blast. A patch or a pin could never express the fun I had, and it doesn't make me a motorcycle superhero. Anyway, enjoy the ride and I hope you get all the patches that you deserve for the 100,000 miles, good luck.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Then this would not apply to you. First off you have to be a member of the National HOG to participate in the mileage program. Since you only financed at a Harley dealer and bought used, unless you joined HOG on your own or were already a member you couldn't participate anyway. One year membership in HOG comes with a new Harley unless you decline it. All the information on the mileage program is included in your membership package and in every HOG Tales magazine.
I bought my 07 Road King Barely used (7,200 miles on it) for $9200 and it came with 4 years of warranty left that was transferred to me, V&H True Duals with monster's and a lot of Chrome options.
I was offered $14,000 for it a couple weeks ago.
I really don't need a patch of any kind.
I don't see it as a big deal!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan View Post
I bought my 07 Road King Barely used (7,200 miles on it) for $9200 and it came with 4 years of warranty left that was transferred to me, V&H True Duals with monster's and a lot of Chrome options.
I was offered $14,000 for it a couple weeks ago.
I really don't need a patch of any kind.
I don't see it as a big deal!
My point was unless you are already a HOG member it does not matter. Whether your wife wants the patches or not you're not eligible and any miles accumulated prior to joining HOG and registering in the mileage program don't count so what's the confusion?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

paultfxdboy wants to know Dino or Syn?

Hello all,
I got my FXD in Dec. of "98,
I remember how happy i was riding it home through
the snow flurries of New York from Moroney's HD in New Windsor to Rockland county

I enrolled in the HOG milage program and loved to display all the miles and everywhere I went on my club jacket.
I rode a lot until 4 years ago I had my Beautiful Baby Daughter
I have slowed down on the milage accumulation since but still love to ride my RED FXD
I'm a single dad now and had to stop my hog membership because of lack of funds.
all my extra cash goes to my daughter.

I have over 50,000 miles on my bike to date,
I would love to get the 40,000 or the 50,000 hog miles patch to update my jacket,
If anyone has them just sitting some where not doing anything, i would love to get them from you.
i will find something to scrape up to pay for them.
If not then it was cool just to be able to talk about it and remember riding
Pault
99fxd
paultfxdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
My point was unless you are already a HOG member it does not matter. Whether your wife wants the patches or not you're not eligible and any miles accumulated prior to joining HOG and registering in the mileage program don't count so what's the confusion?
My only point of confusion is I can't/don't understand anybody who has a want or need for a patch of any kind. To me patches are just unneeded unwanted shows that clutter up any vest or jacket.
My guess is, my internal peace and satisfaction with my life and all things pertaining to it are what makes external shows of accomplishments unnecessary for me. Also for some, I think it is kind of a fashion statement, and for me I decide my likes and dislikes apart from fashion. I am fairly independent and opinionated and all my miles count for me without a patch. I have gotten to ride them, that’s what that matters to me.

To each his own!

Last edited by dangerousdan; 11-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.
dangerousdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.