Why join HOG? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > Harley-Davidson Owners Group (MOCO Friendly)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Clem wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Why join HOG?

This is not an anti-anything message, but I was just beginning to wonder if I should join up. The SC state HOG rally will be here in Columbia this September and it got me thinking. 1. I'll probably attend the rally and 2. What are the benefits to me if I join and also to motorcycling by my joining, that sort of thing. Not stuck on myself, but do my membership fees go to any organization that benefit bikers as a whole? I'd like to hear from new and veteran members if you'll please respond. Thanks, Clem.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Road Captain

hogg831 wants to know Dino or Syn?
...some of the others may respond, while you wait, check out some of the comments that's been made before.

http://www.harleydavidsonforum.com/f...threadid=12287

http://www.harleydavidsonforum.com/f...threadid=10769

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer are purely coincidental. Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.

Fun is a good thing, whining sucks!
hogg831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

logical wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a secret to getting free HOG memberships...or at least cheap ones. I join and then sell the patch, pin and atlas on Ebay. This year i got all my money back plus a few bucks.
V & H Monster Ovals
V & H FP3 FuelPak
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

pasadenajim wants to know Dino or Syn?
National HOG events are generally worthwhile. The "quality" of State events can and do vary greatly. You usually get a t-shirt and ride pin with the registration and that "pays" for the cost of pre-registration. Just do it.
pasadenajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

BigG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like riding a Harley, joining HOG is a personal decision. Just joining HOG probably isn't going to do much for you - a patch, pin and the occasional magazine.
Joining a Chapter is what most people belong to HOG for.
Our chapter is great, we have 150 members, and had 40 turn out for a ride yesterday that lasted 6 hours. We hold safety seminars, toy drives, the LOH are holding a bike wash and bbq next weekend, we do camping trips etc. and last year 40 of us took a 2 week trip to the east coast.
All this cost me $30 for the annual dues.
Then again, lots of people join and don't participate - that's life.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

toohuman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here is a question for you more "senior" guys/gals. As many of you know I am new to the HD thing and even more unexperienced about HOG. So, since I am a member of HOG, can my fiance' go to and attend HOG functions with me. For example during Sturgis this year they have a big HOG function in Rapid City. Will she be able to get in even though she is not a "member?"

I won't attend if I have to buy her a membership just to walk into the same building as I get to go in.

Thanks in advance.
2001 Bullitt Mustang #1853
Fairly Seasoned Rider :-)
toohuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

BigG wants to know Dino or Syn?
toohuman - you need to apply for an associate membership for her -if she doesn't have her own card, they won't let her into a hog area.
Sometimes they sell them right there, but you can do it by calling or maybe via email.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

jlbait wants to know Dino or Syn?
The associate membership is only $20.00 per year. Don't leave your Fiance' stand outside at a biker event! She may be gone when you come out! LOL!

2002 V-ROD
2002 FLHTC
RIDE FREE! RIDE SAFE!
jlbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

toohuman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks guys!! I just took care of it. Hopefully they don't have the same problems getting her membership to her as they did mine to me.
2001 Bullitt Mustang #1853
Fairly Seasoned Rider :-)
toohuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mavrick1903 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You'll get back out of your chapter what you put into it. Many before me have said this but it is true. We joined the local chapter and it was somewhat clickish at first but everyone seems to open up. Most of them have known each other for years so it's understandable. I took an MSF advanced saftey course recently, Hog pays back the cost of the course in "hog dollars" and I'm getting 10% off of my premimums. That alone is worth it. In additon when I help out at the dealership I get a discount cert for purchase. That saved me sooooooo much when I purchased the extras for my RK I would have paid ALOT more without it.
Regards

Mav.
mavrick1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Rottdoggie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mav...

well put! I noticed people were a little "standoffish"when I joined about a year ago...there were and I guess to some extent still are little cliques...but hell, You'll meet MORE people and actually find some new riding partners!

Now...the only beef I have with HOG is - it seems California gets dicked out of a lot... from HOG Tours to CA or the HOG Premium Roadside Assistance Package (Not available in CA)...other than that.....HOG is worth it!

T-Bone
Rottdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

nummy wants to know Dino or Syn?
AMA

I belong to H.O.G.

I also belong to the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA). I have for 27 years.....and I'm only 45-years old.

I am aware of the rift between the AMA and some "Harley" groups that also belong to H.O.G. In my opinion, H.O.G. is more of a "social" group that focuses on marketing "the product." I really enjoy being a H.O.G. member, and will continue to do so.

But if you really care about your motorcycling rights, and your "right-to-ride," you should be supporting the AMA. Even if you disagree with the AMA's stand on helmet laws, or loud pipes, or its affiliation with motorcycle racing, or whatever, the AMA continually works in Washington D.C. to protect your overall right to ride a motorcycle.

You need to look at the big picture here everyone. The $39 yearly AMA dues can be a financial bite for some of us, and sometimes I wonder how much of my yearly AMA dues are wasted, but I really try to look at the big picture.

Just by the fact that YOU are reading this thread, on a website totally devoted to motorcycling, tells me that your "right to ride" is important to you.

How would you feel if your "right to ride" was taken away from you? Either by knee-jerk government regulation, insurance rape, or lack of employer health insurance due to discrimination against motorcycle riders.

Look at it this way - while H.O.G. does a great job of creating motorcycle comradery by way of social activities and events - the AMA works diligently in Washington D.C. to allow it all to happen.

I wonder why there is not more of a push by H.O.G. management to encourage its members to look at becoming AMA members.....in addition to remaining a H.O.G. member.

After all, if the "right-to-ride" goes away, what will happen to H.O.G. ?

Sorry....that was kinda' long.

nummy

Last edited by nummy; 05-18-2003 at 09:02 AM.
nummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

Clem wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the replies everyone. Frank, I'll have to learn to search for the older threads. nummy, thanks for a little perspective on the situation. I know the local dealer doesn't give any HOG discount, so that is no incentive there. Since I am a long term member of the NRA, I understand the right to ride is protected by political action, even if I don't feel particularly political myself. I'll look into the AMA further. Thanks again all. Clem.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Lightnin wants to know where he is and how he got here
Here in Indiana, they stopped giving the discount on parts and merchandise to HOG members. Basically, my only perk. I don't belong to any clubs because I prefer to ride in a small pack or alone.....though I do charity runs from time to time. I got my first year free for buying a bike but insurance covers towing, etc. and now no discount on parts. If I join anything, it'll most likely be ABATE.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Markcuda wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile

Hi Lightnin, we was at Indy West a few months back and they gave us a discount because we were Hog members

Will be there today also It will be a good ride for us :p
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement