upgrading front end opinions..race tech? 41mm? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

800screws wants to know Dino or Syn?
upgrading front end opinions..race tech? 41mm?

looking to tighten up the front end on my 88 fxr.....it has a single caliper....whats gives the best results for aggressive riding? just upgrading the 39mm forks with race tech valves and springs and a fork brace?
or
going to a 41mm front end kit...I would go with a dual caliper front system if I went this route...

looking for some opinions...
800screws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Just rebuild what you have with emulators and new springs.

If you want it to stop better, then you'll need a right lower with caliper bosses. And the parts to put brakes on the right.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cbellamore wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800screws View Post
looking to tighten up the front end on my 88 fxr.....it has a single caliper....whats gives the best results for aggressive riding? just upgrading the 39mm forks with race tech valves and springs and a fork brace?
or
going to a 41mm front end kit...I would go with a dual caliper front system if I went this route...

looking for some opinions...
I just went through this with an FXR I re did, if you really know how to ride and you ride aggressive
dont even bother with the 39mm, even with the cartridge type fxdx 39mm with tricked up internals etc and adjustable everything, the forks still are weak,

look at some of the inverted front ends out there on the market, fab kevin makes a nice one and so does gigastatt,

by the time you drop all the money on setting up a 39mm your not too far off from what a set of drop trees from those guys and a pair of sport bike tubes would cost, plus you get the bolt on radial mount brakes with bigger rotors etc.

Thats the direction Im going when I do my next FXR over which I just started on this week
cbellamore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

compressor#v wants to know Dino or Syn?
I upgraded with my 39mm (dual disc) with Racetech springs and gold valve emulators for $321.00. With sticky tires, aggressive riding in the switchbacks very good IME. A 41 mm front end from a late Dyna is still gonna need a upgrade. A inverted front end with the correct trail and ride height and brakes will cost 3 grand. Well worth it if you have $$$.
compressor#v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbellamore View Post
I just went through this with an FXR I re did, if you really know how to ride and you ride aggressive
dont even bother with the 39mm, even with the cartridge type fxdx 39mm with tricked up internals etc and adjustable everything, the forks still are weak,

look at some of the inverted front ends out there on the market, fab kevin makes a nice one and so does gigastatt,

by the time you drop all the money on setting up a 39mm your not too far off from what a set of drop trees from those guys and a pair of sport bike tubes would cost, plus you get the bolt on radial mount brakes with bigger rotors etc.

Thats the direction Im going when I do my next FXR over which I just started on this week
Are you saying you ran gold valve emulators in regular front end and a fxdx tricked out front end and wasn't satisfied?
ecir45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir45 View Post
Are you saying you ran gold valve emulators in regular front end and a fxdx tricked out front end and wasn't satisfied?
they certainly are an improvement over stock setups theres no debating that

but the 39mm front ends still kinda suck
figure new for tubes and a racetech kit with speed merchant pre load adjusters and your around $700-$800ish

at that point sell your 39mm front end and invest in something better if you really want to improve the front end as best you can

now if you just ride the bike normally than keep the 39mm

again just my opinion
the next fxr im starting on now i will be keeping for myself and im definitely not putting a 39mm front end on it
Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
they certainly are an improvement over stock setups theres no debating that

but the 39mm front ends still kinda suck
figure new for tubes and a racetech kit with speed merchant pre load adjusters and your around $700-$800ish

at that point sell your 39mm front end and invest in something better if you really want to improve the front end as best you can

now if you just ride the bike normally than keep the 39mm

again just my opinion
the next fxr im starting on now i will be keeping for myself and im definitely not putting a 39mm front end on it
Other than the look, I fail to see why people are willing to drop thousands of dollars for inverted forks and different calipers that go with them. Then put it on an FXR.

It a rubber mounted drive train, with frame angles more in tune with cruising than running corners. It also has a poor lean angle unless you jack it up, which makes the cg less manageable with each additional inch. You'll never lean an FXR enough to make use of that inverted front end. And the brakes are just overkill for the weak of hand.

But it does look cool. And some posers feel the need to ride scooters that look fast.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Other than the look, I fail to see why people are willing to drop thousands of dollars for inverted forks and different calipers that go with them. Then put it on an FXR.

It a rubber mounted drive train, with frame angles more in tune with cruising than running corners. It also has a poor lean angle unless you jack it up, which makes the cg less manageable with each additional inch. You'll never lean an FXR enough to make use of that inverted front end. And the brakes are just overkill for the weak of hand.

But it does look cool. And some posers feel the need to ride scooters that look fast.
I would agree with that also,
but like I said if your really looking to ride the bike as hard as possible the 39mm front end is still a little flimsy and not all that ideal,

I agree the FXR will never be a replacement for a sport bike,
I have owned Ducati Superbikes and also Honda RC51's
you will never get an FXR to handle like one of those

the factory 39mm front end with the internal upgrades and a set of HD touring brembos will get the job done for 90% of the people out there, most people can not ride their own bikes to their full potential,

but there are certainly better options out there in the front end dept. for the other 10% that are capable riders
Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Quote:
I would agree with that also,
but like I said if your really looking to ride the bike as hard as possible the 39mm front end is still a little flimsy and not all that ideal,

I agree the FXR will never be a replacement for a sport bike,
I have owned Ducati Superbikes and also Honda RC51's
you will never get an FXR to handle like one of those

the factory 39mm front end with the internal upgrades and a set of HD touring brembos will get the job done for 90% of the people out there, most people can not ride their own bikes to their full potential,

but there are certainly better options out there in the front end dept. for the other 10% that are capable riders
Those guys, the 10%, they laugh at Harley's with inverted forks.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

051 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Just trying to clarify this, I couldn't tell from your response if you personally did or did not?

051 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Van_Kerr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got a 1992 FXR, changed the front forks (43mm) for a combination of Kawasaki Zx9 (bottoms) and Yamaha XJR 1300 (tubes). I've now have tubeless tyres with fitting the Kawasaki wheels and a REAL benefit of having six pot calipers each side up front .................. went this route after fitting an S &S 113" motor, worth EVERY penny (cent), of which there were lots. Not for purists !
Van_Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 051 View Post
Just trying to clarify this, I couldn't tell from your response if you personally did or did not?

I did run them

I wouldnt say that i wasnt satisfied
like i mentioned they are an improvement over stock
but still leave a lot to be desired and if you price the stuff out your not far off from buying a much better front end and brake setup

figure a 39mm fxdx front end used sells for around $900-$1200 depending on what you find out there

racetech internals add another $400 ish

radial brake caliper adapters i think are $250
and you will spend another $150 for a good pair of radial mount brakes
another $200 for floating rotors minimum
brake hoses, hardware etc and your just about at $2k

so my point is if your are going to start from scratch dont bother with the 39mm
at $2k you can buy some drop trees and a sport bike front end and put a nice front end together yourself if you know how to measure for an axle and wheel spacers and shims etc
even less if you can make those pieces

if you have an fxdx front end
dont buy the parts to upgrade it
sell it and use the money you get to buy a better front end

thats what i meant in the above response

again to each his own
im not a fan of the 39mm front end when compared to what else is out there
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post

Have to agree.

I did all of the above to my 39mm forks + added the second disk, a fork brace and Works on the rear. It's a night and day difference from stock. But the FXD is still a 650#-ish lump with a rubber mounted motor and rear end. Kinda like putting stiffer shocks on a 70s-era Cadillac boat and expecting a Corvette. That the FXD ain't no sportbike is driven home to me every time I hop on my pretty much bone-stock Buell tuber. That mofo is on rails at 90 MPH and turns by thought and with zero drama or instability.

Again, it's a substantial upgrade from the pig-like handling of the stocker and worth the cost. But doing more is a waste IMO. Gotta manage the expectation.
Black, chrome & loud.

Last edited by FXDRYDR; 02-15-2017 at 07:21 PM.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

pwmorris is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Buell XB-
A ton lighter.
8 X Horsepower Shootout Winner
NHRA #SP781
pwmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's what I was thinking inverted fork equals lighter bike = well .
ecir45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.