opinions needed - 113" S&S swap : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

dammoday wants to know Dino or Syn?
opinions needed - 113" S&S swap

so I have a chance to buy an S&S 113" engine out of a wrecked 2003 Bourget chopper. Supposedly runs great and only has 7k miles. I think the transmission is a Jims 6 speed. The frame is rigid so obviously the transmission isn't plug and play. I can get the entire wrecked bike for $2500...

the idea is to swap this engine into my 88 fxr. wondering if the 6 speed gearset would fit into my existing case? my old tapered 5 speed is leaking from the mainshaft seal and needs some TLC so it's coming apart anyway. I also have a 90 only splined mainshaft that I've been saving, just in case.

I think that the price on this is fair, I've always wanted a big inch engine. Looking for opinions!

dammoday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S is still riding a stock bike Alan S is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammoday View Post
Looking for opinions!
Color me green with envy. How's that?

The engine will be fine. Therm or Terry will have to help ya on the gearset.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If the 6 speed is in a 5 speed case I would say yes, trap door may be different if you use mids.

If the clutch basket has a 66 tooth ring gear, you should be able to use it too in your 88 case.
ecir45 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne just installed tassels Thermodyne just installed tassels Thermodyne just installed tassels
The motor fits. The trans is a softy, but you can use the guts.

And being as you have an 88, now would be the time to buy a 91-93 primary and trans case, move up to the the stronger starter.

Not sure what sort of primary that chopper has, but if it's a belt drive, and unharmed, it would cover the cost.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is still riding a stock bike tall terry is still riding a stock bike
Take the cam out of the 113 and verify it's an S&S 600...every one of the 113 bourgets i have worked on, had starting problems caused by the 520 cams installed... why, I have no idea, ccp goes up to the 250psi neighborhood, and makes starting near impossible..
Most 6 speeds add the extra gear in a thicker door, and add the 4th shift fork in the door as well...it should slide right in to your case.... it probably ly has a Rivera pro clutch as well keep that too... and like therm said, go to the later primary....
A 113 in an fxr is a great combo... I love mine.... don't forget to check and replace the cam if it is not a 600.... the engine goes from a nightmare to an all around rider...
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

thanks for the input, guys!

i'm going to go tomorrow to take a look at it. For 2500, I dont think I can go wrong. I could sell my 80" and recoup some of the cost

by the way, 6 speed Jim's gearset with OD any good for an fxr?

Last edited by dammoday; 09-16-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Most are just plug and play in the 5 speed case...it would be perfect if it has a 2:94 1st gear and a .80 6th..
A 113 costs near $6k new, most bourgets are polished so add another $1k to that....its a steal..
Old 09-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall terry View Post
Most are just plug and play in the 5 speed case...it would be perfect if it has a 2:94 1st gear and a .80 6th..
A 113 costs near $6k new, most bourgets are polished so add another $1k to that....its a steal..
Yes it's 2:94 and .86 6th. I plan on coming home with the bike

What's the advantage to switching to the later trans case? Is it just to fit the later starter? The delkron case is not cheap. Old starter sucks as it is though so it might be worth the upgrade. Can't you just enlarge the hole?

We're these motors built by s&s or bourget? I'll make sure to swap the cam.

Currently running an hsr42, twin tec dual fire, bassani road rage. Assuming this will work well with this new motor.

Last edited by dammoday; 09-17-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne just installed tassels Thermodyne just installed tassels Thermodyne just installed tassels
Better starter is the main thing. And yes, some people just hog out the hole, with varying degrees of success.

If you plan on running it hard, then you'll most likely have to address the primary eventually.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Better starter, and now replacement parts, if needed may now be available whereas, the older parts stand a good chance of being obsolete... a delkron primary is stronger, a huge benefit on a 113 fxr.. if the stock primary was available it's cost would be similar to the delkron..
The 294 first with a 113 is a good combo, the larger engine can pull the gears easily...I can break 55mph in 1st gear before I hit the Rev limiter...
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall terry View Post
That motors not polished but still way worth the deal.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

ok here's the deal. first off, I asked him if I could turn the bike over and he got a little weird, like he was afraid it was going to catch his garage on fire. second, he doesn't have any paperwork. Like, any. it was his brother's bike.. brother died on it when an 18y/o kid pulled out in front of him.

motor is in good shape. a small little ding in the front head and cone. speedo shows 7k miles. front end took most of the damage. primo primary is in great condition. controls, brakes, gas tank, seat, speedo, etc. are salvagable. Looks like a 5-speed softy case. S&S super e with a busted backing plate.... hoping that none of those cast pieces fell into the motor... because I found one in the throat of the carb as it was sitting in the garage.

won't take any less than 2,500. Which is still a deal to me honestly. Thinking I can sell my existing motor and 88 trans, inner primary, starter, etc. they have to be worth SOMETHING.

Last edited by dammoday; 09-17-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

That trans will be plug and play in your case..m definitely turn the motor either by hand or starter...you can turn it with the crankshaft nut...yeah if something went inside, it may be hurt, but maybe not the pistons are forged and the head material is hard as well....
That carb has had some work done on it, the bomb sight main jet discharge....an E carb is too small for that engine, it could have damage from overheating duty to insufficient fuel above 5000 rpms...
I think I would still buy it...
Old 09-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

roman_FXRS wants to know Dino or Syn?
This is very good price, when you'll sell all remaining parts, you'll be with profit.

fxrs'89 fxrs'90
roman_FXRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
awesome deal but what about not having any paperwork.
ecir45 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.