V-Twin Forum banner

Need edumacation

4K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Caveman85 
#1 ·
What can you tell me about this bike.

1983 Harley Davidson FXR With A Very Very Powerful Full S&S 93" Stroker Motor, Shovel Head, Including A S&S Super E Carb For Wicked Big Power, True Dual Chrome Bub Pipes For Real Loud Noise, Fat Bob Gas Tank, Wide Glide Front End, This Bike Is By No Means Stock, Beautiful Custom Orange Paint With Ghost Flames!!! BRAND NEW REAR TIRE AND FRONT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION!!! Also BRAND NEW CLUTCH

#8 ·
Regarding 1983 FXRs in general, there's a lot to like. Well thought out, excellent handling, very good vibration control, and (to those in this forum at least) one of the best looking Harleys ever made.

However, from the description you've offered it sounds like there's not a whole lot of the original FXR left. The original 80 cubic inch Shovelhead has been replaced with a big aftermarket S&S engine, set up with a long stroke. As described, the engine has the potential of making big power, maybe more than the clutch and transmission are comfortably able to handle. The handling will be affected by the wide glide front end, which was never meant to be on an FXR and will always be a compromise. If you're interested in style more than handling maybe you don't care. Many Harley riders don't. I'd wager the bike has forward controls and a lowered rear end as well. The fat bob tanks, loud pipes, and bright paint job are subjective and a matter of personal preference.

So basically its a customized FXR. There's a lot of them out there. Whether it's worth owning depends upon what you want, what you're willing to pay, and whether the guy who put it in this condition knew what he was doing or not.

#12 · (Edited)
For an FXR purist it's a bastardized bike but for under $4K it would be a no brainer around here and I'd be all over it.
You just can't touch any running big twin for that in these parts.
I'd buy it and be on the search for some stock parts,no problem selling off the wide glide and stuff if you convert it back.

#13 ·
OK--I'd like to learn more about how that more powerful motor may mess with the tranny and such.
Thank you.

I'm a carpenter and not a mechanic although I've rebuilt a couple top ends and some basic stuff years ago. Haven't touch a vehicle in decades and never a motorcycle.
Just thinking it may be fun to give it a whirl one day. Have lots of tools in the shop that have accumulated over the years. When I say I know nothing and want to learn--I'm being truthful. Why I joined the forum. I ride a Vulcan and its a fun bike to ride after bikeless for 28 years, but the Harley thing calls.

#14 ·
I'm a carpenter and not a mechanic although I've rebuilt a couple top ends and some basic stuff years ago. Haven't touch a vehicle in decades and never a motorcycle.
Just thinking it may be fun to give it a whirl one day. Have lots of tools in the shop that have accumulated over the years. When I say I know nothing and want to learn--I'm being truthful. Why I joined the forum. I ride a Vulcan and its a fun bike to ride after bikeless for 28 years, but the Harley thing calls.
No matter WHAT you buy, be sure to get a service manual for it. Makes working on it a lot easier.

#16 ·
Well you'd get lots of looks with a Shovel FXR, Shovel = old school cool factor, FXR = best handling big twin Harley frame and a cult favorite.
(There's a reason the H-A has a lot of FXR club bikes)
It's an unusual bike so it will get interest everywhere it goes and start conversations no doubt.
And of course it's Harley ,I wouldn't worry too much about a 93" motor overstressing the clutch and trans ,maybe if you do a lot of burnouts or drag race a bunch but otherwise they're pretty tough.
I had a somewhat hotted up 80" Evo in an Early '84 FXR (same clutch and trans) and I pounded that bike a lot for well over 100,000 miles.
Had to replace the clutch once at about 60K and used some upgraded parts, never went through the trans.

#17 ·
OH? Not Same Clutch and Trans at all!!!!
Go find an Inner primary for an '82-'83 FXR
In fact I'm needing one just now..but, No! Not from Elvis.
The Tranny is different also...but, the mainshaft and clutch can be updated to newer style.
While the Shovel OOzes Cool...I don't think much of "me too" type engines...S&S included. May as well put a Crate MoCo Motor in it...
The Evo Motor and a Replacement inner primary, and a new set of tranny "guts" as well as a new style clutch....Hell...I can buy an EVO FXR, pretty soon Huh??

Be careful.

#24 ·
Wicked Big Pow'a
NH huh? Fixed it for ya :)
Just kidding of course, my wifes from MA.

Price is right on the bike, but there's a long way to go to get it handling like it should, also looks like about the only things left from a FXR are the frame and side covers, so you're looking at some bucks changing her back.
I say if you like it, go for it. If you want a FXR keep looking.

#29 ·
I gotta say, some stuff with the MoCo doesn't inspire confidence.
Was reading about the 2012 Switchback, cause like someone said--makes sense because lots of us use our bikes like that, just as I do with my Vulcan 900 Classic LT.
The MoCo let that thing out the door with a bad vibration problem and from what I've read, don't own up to it proper like. A new bike with an issue like that and they don't make it good at no charge?
I dunno, man.

#32 ·
#33 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.