V-Twin Forum banner

Time for the cream to rise

15K views 136 replies 27 participants last post by  Homesick 
#1 ·
We all know that FXR rules. Let's teach everyone else. Submit our FXRs every month.

If we do it right, VTF will have a Ride of the Month and an Everything Else of the Month. :)

joe

#36 ·
I want to say they only made 64 of the blue flame FXR3's, and along with the 1999 FXR2 the FXR3's were the first CVO's made.

If you're planning on getting a FXR, I'd say buying one of these would be a very nice way to do it, especially if you're trying to keep it original

#38 ·
These are Craigs list adds. You can sometimes get em for book trade value if you have cash and the right bargaining style. Helps to show up near the end of the month too.
You guys have really got me thinking about that blue flame bike. I would definitely show up with cash. My wife would kill me though. :eek:

#41 ·
Gotta agree with this one lol, but seriously G Man, you can count on a few things:
1) FXR's aren't getting any newer or cheaper.
2) The longer you wait, the harder it will be to find one that hasn't been seriously molested.
3) Your wife will get over it.

Go get that beauty, you only live once!

#48 ·
Im trying real hard not to get two projects going at once, as I have the shovel on the lift right now. Now that the weather is cooling off, maybe I can make more progress.

BTW, my fxr has CCW wide trees and for brace that I will be selling soon. If any interest is out there, let me know. Thanks.

#56 ·
This is the scooter that the FXR frame was inspired by. That triangulated frame was all the rage in Europe circa 1960ish. Then the Nips copied it, and later the MoCo used it as a starting point for the FXR.

You cant really blame the MoCo for going with the flow. They won more than a few races with those re-badged Aermacchi scooters. And it damn sure wasn't from all the power they made.

#58 · (Edited)
This is the scooter that the FXR frame was inspired by. That triangulated frame was all the rage in Europe circa 1960ish. Then the Nips copied it, and later the MoCo used it as a starting point for the FXR.

You cant really blame the MoCo for going with the flow. They won more than a few races with those re-badged Aermacchi scooters. And it damn sure wasn't from all the power they made.

:redrolf: I blame them for NOT going with the flow. I've never heard E.K credit the Aermacchi, but whatever, who knows? I would hope he had a better source than that.

As far as "inspiration", as I said earlier, some engineering aspects are absolutes, and all good engineering ends up in the same place sometimes. I don't know who or what Erik Buell was truly inspired by or when, I just know he was sh!t on pretty heavily when he rolled that, and I quote "Jaap looking frame" out on the showroom floors. It was mutiny at it's finest. The FXR was the Sportster of that day, the V-Rod of that day, an outcast. Keep in mind, Buell had a racing background, so this shape was no stranger.

"I think that sales for the original FXR slipped pretty quickly," said LeRoy, "So we kept the volume going by adding models. But by the late '80s the company realized that the FXR was not what the market wanted. Maybe it felt too much like the import competition. That's when we went to work on the Dyna."

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/bikes/separating-men-boys-history-fxr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.