Beating a dead horse: Elvis FXR parts : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Beating a dead horse: Elvis FXR parts

I was surfing E-bay looking for stuff I want but really don't need. I have a search saved for Eagle Iron products. They did make a couple of things I like,well I ran across one of Mr. Elvis the FXR master. And he had a Eagle Iron FXR gas tank chrome center console listed for Buy it now for $ 800.00. You and I know he did pay but $50.00 to $75.00 for the piece. He has another one listed at I think its $675.00. Well I kind of lost my common sense for 10 min. and wrote him a note. He wrote back a really stupid reply that made no sense. And threatened to block me. Good Rant over. I know its a dead horse
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I don't get it. If you don't want to pay his prices you don't have to. Why would you care how he prices them? As an ebay seller myself I know I have to be somewhat realistic in my pricing in order to not continue paying listing fees so maybe he'll eventually sell it to someone who REALLY wants it and is happy to have found it at any price.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I look at like this. I love working, riding my bikes. I have loads of fun in everything that is bikes. His way of business sure take's the fun out of it for me. I'm glad I won't need him. I'll go with out. There is nothing wrong with making a profit. But lets get real. I sell on E-bay and make a little extra cash. But I know I have been fare. It OK to disagree with me. I done with this. enough said on my part. Ken
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

johnjzjz wants to know Dino or Syn?
when he looks in the mirror he sees a god like figure so if i am selling the same thing he is my best advertisement - the RIP guy or mine - it does $uck when you are a stand up guy and see that go on -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
I don't get it. If you don't want to pay his prices you don't have to. Why would you care how he prices them? As an ebay seller myself I know I have to be somewhat realistic in my pricing in order to not continue paying listing fees so maybe he'll eventually sell it to someone who REALLY wants it and is happy to have found it at any price.
You are all right, of course. He has been in business for a long time now, so someone is buying his stuff.

Right now, on ebay, he has a set of Arlen Ness side covers, used, for $250. You can buy them brand new for $87! So I guess the chump would be the guy that pays $250.

You are right, you don't have to pay his prices. But you ask why would you care how he prices them? If you look for FXR parts on ebay, 90% are his. So when someone else wants to sell FXR parts they look on ebay to see what parts are going for (Elvis') and price theirs accordingly. So we all pay inflated prices.

I've been lucky. I have bought most of my parts at the swap meet and paid a reasonable price. I've bought 2 sets of FXRS-CON saddlebags. $75 for one set, $25 for the other. 2 Convertible windshields, $25 and $10. That would be about $1500+ in Elvis bucks, $135 in standard earth money. But not everyone can find the deals, or need the item now, so they see Elvis.

I understand he has the right to price his stuff however he likes. I also understand you don't have to buy it if you don't like his prices. What I don't understand is why everytime the Elvis discussion comes up someone feels the need to defend him.

The discussion has come up many times, and I think the majority would probably say they dislike his business practices.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looking at his prices I find it amazing that anyone would ever buy anything from him. But like Peet said, apparently somebody does.

I would guess that Elvis buys much of the reasonably priced FXR parts on ebay just for re-sale at his inflated prices. Eliminate the competition, in a way. Again, I can't imagine anyone paying those prices.

Being the FXR devotees that we are, we're at least partly to blame for Elvis getting the idea that at least one day, FXR guys will be willing to pay his exhorbitant prices for parts. He's betting that the "cult" thing will continue and future owners will pay anything to keep them on the road.

Me, I'm glad I don't need anything (at the moment) that's FXR-specific and (barring disaster) can't really see that happening in the future.

But you know, if Elvis can make this work, more power to him. I'd like to sell $18 (when new) parts for hundreds, myself.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

johnjzjz wants to know Dino or Syn?
typical bate and switch scam on e blows < pocket watches same thing - many other thing as well --

set up a fake site selling at 200% over retail - than set up a site at 100% over retail and now used 40 cents on a dollar buy - becomes a deal at full retail -- cool and e blows lets it happen, it looks as if he is selling stuff they dont check who buys from you BUY NOW they only check who bids on your stuff - so you cant jack a price but this guy has it figured out < i could be wrong but i dont think so -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

HighPlainsDrftr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
typical bate and switch scam on e blows < pocket watches same thing - many other thing as well --

set up a fake site selling at 200% over retail - than set up a site at 100% over retail and now used 40 cents on a dollar buy - becomes a deal at full retail -- cool and e blows lets it happen, it looks as if he is selling stuff they dont check who buys from you BUY NOW they only check who bids on your stuff - so you cant jack a price but this guy has it figured out < i could be wrong but i dont think so -- jz
I think you're right. Lots of antique car parts places do it too, eBay provides the venue for advertising what you've got, and your auction can link to a storefront off eBay or have a business phone number. I'm guessing if you call Elvis or walk into his shop you get a much better price, and he has lost only the listing fee for his ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

JamesButler wants to know Dino or Syn?
Before I give my ElvisPlace experience, I realize that as an FXR owner and picker, when it comes to finding that un-findable-obsolete-OEM part, there comes with it a great feeling -almost euphoric- because "now my bike is one step closer, one more obstacle cleared, to being that much closer to perfect". As I came to realize, the problem is the bike will never become a finished product, thus the pursuit for the perfect bike never ends because my definition of the perfect bike is constantly changing. So, I realize that I'm like a Junkie looking for a fix. Hell, if I spent as half as much time working on my mind and body as I do hunting for FXR parts, then I'd be.... "better off", for lack of a better term. Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who can relate.

Several years ago, while fresh on the FXR scene after a long hiatus, I made the mistake of overpaying (by @ 300%) for a used part from ElvisPlace. Looking back, I have no one to blame but myself, as both my inexperience in the FXR-used-parts-world and my impatience to wait and to "have the part, asap" got the best of me. "Chalked it up to experience" ... "Fool me once....", etc, etc.

While I'll probably never buy anything from ElvisPlace again, I realize he has the American capitalistic right to set a price of his item and let the free-market determine its fate. "God bless America..."

However, in this so-called FXR "cult" of ours as many describe it, there seems to be an unwritten rule or ethical code of comradery which we all try to follow, and it basically implies that we stick together, look out for each other and help our fellow FXR brethren. We look at it as a like "karma" thing. So, we get offended when we see guys like "Elvis" who price-gouge us in a supposedly "friendly" market, albeit of limited supply of which he has a relatively large share. Nothing we can do about it except bitch and moan to sympathetic listeners and not buy his part and be patient until we find it cheaper elsewhere. "To each his own...", "Live and let live...", etc.

But what struck me as really odd and creepy about the whole ElvisPlace experience was that Mr. Eric Barton, aka, "E" or "Elvis" included with the item I overpaid for several years back, an autographed black-and-white photo of himself. When I opened the package, which btw was even overpriced as far as shipping costs go, the photo kind of tumbled out. WTF?! I mean most of us FXR owners are either middle-aged or nearing-senior-aged men. What the hell do we want with an autographed photo of the male-middle-aged-used-parts-hustler, who just price-gouged us? Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth to go with the bad feeling in my ass, so to speak. I quickly deposited the photo in the shredder, but remember thinking, "Oh well, at least now I can put a face to the pompous pr%ck who just fu@ked me." Then felt the need to shower.

Last edited by JamesButler; 01-24-2013 at 04:05 PM.
JamesButler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesButler View Post
But what struck me as really odd and creepy was that Mr. Eric Barton, aka, "E" or "Elvis" included with the item I overpaid for several years back, an autographed black-and-white photo of himself. WTF?!
Odd and creepy doesn't describe it!

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Odd and creepy doesn't describe it!

~Pete
'Pompous Prick' is getting closer. Along with 'whining', 'self-serving', and 'self-righteous'.

It may have been before your time; but he posted here some, trying to sweet-talk and justify his BS.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesButler View Post
Before I give my ElvisPlace experience, I realize that as an FXR owner and picker, when it comes to finding that un-findable-obsolete-OEM part, there comes with it a great feeling -almost euphoric- because "now my bike is one step closer, one more obstacle cleared, to being that much closer to perfect. As I came to realize, the problem is the bike will never become a finished product, thus the pursuit for the perfect bike never ends because my definition of the perfect bike is constantly changing. So, I realize that I'm like a Junkie looking for a fix. Hell, if I spent as half as much time working on my mind and body as I do hunting for FXR parts, then I'd be.... "better off", for lack of a better term. Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who can relate.

Several years ago, while fresh on the FXR scene after a long hiatus, I made the mistake of overpaying (by @ 300%) for a used part from ElvisPlace. Looking back, I have no one to blame but myself, as both my inexperience in the FXR-used-parts-world and my impatience to wait and to "have the part, asap" got the best of me. "Chalked it up to experience" ... "Fool me once....", etc, etc.

While I'll probably never buy anything from ElvisPlace again, I realize he has the American capitalistic right to set a price of his item and let the free-market determine its fate. "God bless America..."

However, in this so-called FXR "cult" of ours as many describe it, there seems to be an unwritten rule or ethical code of comradery which we all try to follow, and it basically implies that we stick together, look out for each other and help our fellow FXR brethren. We look at it as a like "karma" thing. So, we get offended when we see guys like "Elvis" who price-gouge us in a supposedly "friendly" market, albeit of limited supply of which he has a relatively large share. Nothing we can do about it except bitch and moan to sympathetic listeners and not buy his part and be patient until we find it cheaper elsewhere. "To each his own...", "Live and let live...", etc.

But what struck me as really odd and creepy about the whole ElvisPlace experience was that Mr. Eric Barton, aka, "E" or "Elvis" included with the item I overpaid for several years back, an autographed black-and-white photo of himself. When I opened the package, which was even overpriced as far as shipping costs go, the photo kind of tumbled out. WTF?! I mean most of us FXR owners are either middle-aged or nearing-senior-aged men. What the hell do we want with an autographed photo of the male-middle-aged-used-parts-hustler, who just price-gouged us? Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth to go with the bad feeling in my ass, so to speak. I quickly deposited the photo in the shredder, but remember thinking, "Oh well, at least now I can put a face to the pompous pr%ck who just fu@ked me." Then felt the need to shower.
Nice post.

Too bad you didn't keep that picture. We could've started a thread with it, and taken turns throwing virtual darts at it. Maybe drawing mustaches and devil horns on it.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

JamesButler wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
'Pompous Prick' is getting closer. Along with 'whining', 'self-serving', and 'self-righteous'.

It may have been before your time; but he posted here some, trying to sweet-talk and justify his BS.

joe

Yes, must have been before my time on this site. We've all seen his antics in some form or another and have grown tired of them. Unfortunately, he's not going away anytime soon.
JamesButler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
here's my solution....I don't worry about my FXR being "period correct"...if a part fits (or even if it doesn't) it goes on...FXR correct or not.

ur welcome
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

beardo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
here's my solution....I don't worry about my FXR being "period correct"...if a part fits (or even if it doesn't) it goes on...FXR correct or not.

ur welcome
Or the short hand version...HTFU

Last edited by beardo; 01-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.