Sneak peak at my new pipe from Steve's Performance Fabrication (SPF) : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sneak peak at my new pipe from Steve's Performance Fabrication (SPF)

Sorry for the novel here.

Ordered a set of T-bars from this guy through ebay awhile back (actually contacted him to custom build a set for me) and I saw his pipe he was building for a newer, Dyna. He invited me to his blog and somehow ended up being Facebook friends (cute, right?). Anyways, he has only built 2 or 3 of these pipes and only for newer Dynas. He wanted to build me one for my FXR. The design is Phuckin Bytchin'.

I caved in as I really didn't want to get a black chank Thunderheader like every other (not all but many) chumps I see with an "outlaw" bike, no offense. American made. Anyways, he sent me a pic of pretty much the final product today except for powder coating and he hasn't put on the header-to-pipe springs, yet. I am not affiliated with this guy. He lives over 800 miles from me. I know he is interested in making more pipes for FXRs.

I will also be the very first customer he puts his logo on and sent pics of his design (which he asked for in advanced).

I will definitely be back here when I receive the pipe in a week or so, with pics. Also, my "winter" make over will be complete for the most part. That fugly grampa FXR in my sig will finally be taken down. haha

The red FXR in the pic is not mine, just the one he is using to build mine for. As you notice my pipe has a little more bend in it that the second pic of the Dyna doesn't. The benefits of buying custom! I asked for a little more bend and I think it looks bad azz.

Tell me what you think. Check out his blog or facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StevesPrecis...ref=ts&fref=ts). Not "promoting" it, but he has some final product on a few Dynas on there too.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

V-STRUM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey, I like it! It looks great on both bikes, compliments the lines.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Warrior72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I really like the look of that, it's definitly something different. I wonder how loud it is.
Warrior72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
They are both cool, but I think the Dyna has much smoother bends.
Looks like where the rear head pipe attaches under the air cleaner it has to much angle. I've always been partial to the softail Supertrapp on an FXR. It's longer then the FXR SuperTrapp. Not real sure about the shorter pipes.

But I'm coming around!
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

I'll let ya guys know how it sounds once I get it. I have a thunderheader on my 1200 Sporty to compare it to. I did notice the Dyna has smoother bends. Especially in the #2 cylinder's header. We'll see how it looks once all powder coated and such. It's nice to have a unique'ish pipe on bikes. I never liked the look of Supertrapps personally. Never really heard them either.

I forgot to mention he calls these pips, "Lighting Headers" because he despises Thunderheaders and their shitty sound/quality and country of origin... haha

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kimo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like this pipe....I may be customer number 2.....So it will be either one of these or a RB LSR pipe
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like it! Probably have to angle the muffler down to use with bags.

How much will this little gem cost?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
I'll let ya guys know how it sounds once I get it. I have a thunderheader on my 1200 Sporty to compare it to. I did notice the Dyna has smoother bends. Especially in the #2 cylinder's header. We'll see how it looks once all powder coated and such. It's nice to have a unique'ish pipe on bikes. I never liked the look of Supertrapps personally. Never really heard them either.

I forgot to mention he calls these pips, "Lighting Headers" because he despises Thunderheaders and their shitty sound/quality and country of origin... haha
I'm not a Thunderheader fan myself, but unless something changed just recently, I believe they are made in the U.S. of A.

~Pete
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

HighPlainsDrftr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would worry about the long-terrm effects of the hot exhaust pipe right around the electronics in the timing case, it must get awful hot in there.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

brassman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks neat but I prefer a little longer pipe. Been hunting for a white bros e pipe for a while but they are tough to find. Or does he sell just the front header pipes and you can add you own collector
brassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
I like this pipe....I may be customer number 2.....So it will be either one of these or a RB LSR pipe
I looked at those on a post you posted awhile back. I wasn't much of a fan. Looked alright, but not the slash cut design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
I like it! Probably have to angle the muffler down to use with bags.

How much will this little gem cost?
He'll build how you like it for the most part. $1200 for the pipe. Kinda spendy, but it sure is worth it if you're one of the only few on the road. He has a sound clip, and it truly sounded throatier than a thunderheader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
I'm not a Thunderheader fan myself, but unless something changed just recently, I believe they are made in the U.S. of A.

~Pete
I think you're right. You would think if it was American it would have evolved into a better product though i.e. welds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrftr View Post
I would worry about the long-terrm effects of the hot exhaust pipe right around the electronics in the timing case, it must get awful hot in there.
A lot of designs route under the nose cone? Maybe if you ran your ICM in there like some do. I am running the Dyna 2000 though.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassman View Post
Looks neat but I prefer a little longer pipe. Been hunting for a white bros e pipe for a while but they are tough to find. Or does he sell just the front header pipes and you can add you own collector
I def think he could do that for you. He is a one-man-show down there and does lots of fab work for bikes and cars. I'm going to text him and tell him a few of you may be interested. I'm not sure how he'll want to be contacted, but I'll let you guys know.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
1200 ???
does that include 2 Brazilian hookers for the weekend?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
1200 ???
no kidding...that's a ton for a pipe.
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
1200 ???
Are you two short of a threesome again, Al?

~Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.