My FXR - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
Nah, I just wanted you to have the info asap.

Have a good day. I'm all geared up and will get on my fxr in a couple of minutes for a ride down the California coast to Santa Cruz this morning. The temps are in the low 60's, the weather is clear and all is right with the world.
Have a great ride! 25 degrees here with wind…. to ****ing cold for me, even with heated gloves….

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Thanks for the comments and warm welcome....

The intention is to keep it looking like a FXR.....all be it an FXR that works out and has a bit of an attitude. It would be great if it ended up the sort of bike you have to look at hard to spot the changes...time will tell. Bet you can all guess what the colours gonna be
That sounds really nice.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

trickytree wants to know Dino or Syn?
So, time to get working again. First off I tore the gearbox down, there seems nothing amis inside, no metal fragments or owt like that, so thats good but its the first Harley box I've been inside so my well get a second opinion.

With the mainshaft out I could fit the box on the miller so as I could bore out the case for the new swingarm spindle. I used what I had to hand so it was a 18mm drill first followed by a 19mm slot drill......

.....then a 3/4" machine reamer.

So all the wear is gone and the new 2002 up spindle is a nice snug fit....just enough clearance for some anti seize compound.

A local engineering firm tacked the swingarm for me the other day and my hope that the tube that the bearings fit wouldnt distort has proved to be false, I will have to bore them out when its finish welded afterall. In the meantime I turned up some ally bushes to use as temporary bearings/spacers so as I can fit the arm and check it for fit, I'll do that tommorow.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

Got the swingarm fitted today.....had to chop huge chunks out of it to get it to fit, more than I thought I would have to but at least it fits which is a blessed releif.

And the cherry on top of the huge cream pie is that it looks like I will be able to run a 1-1/8" belt. Theres about 16mm between the edge of the belt and the rim and I need about 10mm so its looking good even if I have to move things around a bit more. In fact it looks like clearance in the mudguard will be the limiting factor in fitting anything even wider.

I managed to pick up a TDM rear brake caliper and hanger, It will save some work as I dont need to fab a torque arm and weld a fixing point to the arm, but......I never even thought about where the shock would go....bugger.

Must admit that I prefer the R1 caliper anyway.

I could do with a rear tyre on the rim now so as I can see how much room I have to play with so I can put back some of the ally that Ive chopped away. Might as well get the wheels painted while I'm at it....unfortunately I still haven't made my mind up about colours yet, more than likely going to be black
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

TORN wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am watching this to see what how it turns out. Good luck.
TORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ronn wants to know Dino or Syn?
looks good so far, interested in the finished product also.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff you write about but I like reading about your progress and seeing the pics. Thanks for posting all this.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Going to just weld some shock mounts on, or do you have any special ideas.
Great job, enjoy watching this done.
FXRS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff you write about but I like reading about your progress and seeing the pics. Thanks for posting all this.
I dont understand a lot of the technical stuff myself at times!! I tend to work through problems as I come across them, which is more often than I would like if truth be told

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRS84 View Post
Going to just weld some shock mounts on, or do you have any special ideas.
Great job, enjoy watching this done.
Yeah, sticking with the twin shock set up. Plan is for the bike to still look like an FXR when its done....also I don't want to chop the frame about even though I have no intention of ever selling her.

Not a great deal of progress to report on, just been double checking alignment of the wheels and belt drive etc. Getting ready to send a few bits out.....frame for paint and the swingarm for some welding.
Theres no way I am going to be able to afford to do all the work I would like to, I'm going to have to cut a few corners and leave some bits for another time. I will spend money on a professional paint job for the frame so as I hopefully don't have to tear the bike all the way down again.
I was only planning on a rattle can paint job for the tins anyway but I think I will also have to do the same with the wheels. Need to get a move on now, be nice to do a bit of riding for a change
Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

tonyrader wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
no matter what... It is some damn cool stuff you are doing,,
'V-CHARGER' High Performance Air Intake
NGK BPR5EIX11 Iridium Spark Plug.
tonyrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Got back into the garage after far too many days over eating and over drinking.
Worked out the wiring for the new switchgear and got them mounted on the bars. Switches have small locating pegs that I was going to chop off....good job I didn't as there not a very tight fit on the bars and would probably have just spun around the bars. Ive got a nice throttle as well but its a right angled cable exit and its too tight to disappear down the tank tunnel so I will have to look for another. Bars and clamps are Easton alloy M/X jobbies so are nice and light....seems a good riding possission.....been sat on it today making brooom brooom noises.

Sat the softail tank on the bike and Im quite liking how it looks. Will need to get the motor in the frame just to check it misses the heads. It will need some work to fit but I reckon Im going with it.

I then started modding the seat base.....Wife seems totally disinterested in biking so I will go with a solo seat. A p/o had chopped the seat in two so I set abouut joining it again. I cut the pillion pad down, shaped it a bit and added a couple of offcuts and 'tacked' them together with some araldite. I will pick up a glass fibre kit tomorrow and see what sort of mess I can make with that. I had a go at the foam with the bread knife but its pretty much had it so Ill have to get hold of some more.......I want a bit of a bum stop on it to stop me disappearing of the back when I nail the throttle.

Im hoping it will end up looking like this.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
here is Le Pere thats almost the same as you pictured. $100, but its new

http://www.bigbadpowersports.com/pro...ycle-Seat.html
FXRS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Jbco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
AWESOME! very inspiring for my upcoming fxr build.

Joe
Jbco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ronn wants to know Dino or Syn?
do you have a side view with that tank on it, looking for a longer tank for ours to fill in some of the stretch that was added.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
do you have a side view with that tank on it, looking for a longer tank for ours to fill in some of the stretch that was added.
I can get a side pic if you want one but I can tell you that the Softail tank is actually about an inch shorter than the stock FXR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement