Fat Boy wheels on FXR - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #46 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Dave_89FXRT wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Your NAZI crap is neither funny nor witty. You lose for thinking of it in those terms.

And we're allowed to dislike the Fatboy wheel mod; the dislike is not pathological. Mine is like I disliked my FXRT in black, compared to its current white color.

joe
It was probably funnier to those around me when I shouted It out loud in my best uhhhh "Evil Nazi" voice...typing it out you don't quite get the same effect...anyhow...I guess I lose. so I'll redeem myself....100% win --> http://pwnazi.ytmnd.com/
Dave_89FXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Man oh man, this thread really went into the crapper fast. The OP asked if there would be any problems putting on a FatBoy wheel and converting it to a chain drive. I'm thinking he was asking about the mechanical aspects of the conversion, not the aesthetic appeal. So, in answer to the original question, Front end conversion shouldn't be a problem but, it could get expensive. Wheel, tire, caliper, rotor, fender, forks, triple tree, brake line and probably something I've forgotten. Can't help you with the chain conversion.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Man oh man, this thread really went into the crapper fast. The OP asked if there would be any problems putting on a FatBoy wheel and converting it to a chain drive. I'm thinking he was asking about the mechanical aspects of the conversion, not the aesthetic appeal. So, in answer to the original question, Front end conversion shouldn't be a problem but, it could get expensive. Wheel, tire, caliper, rotor, fender, forks, triple tree, brake line and probably something I've forgotten. Can't help you with the chain conversion.
Well, I didn't think it went into the crappy that fast. It's up to 47+ posts.

Unlike what someone thinks, and if you read all the posts, my concerns were mostly performance not aesthetics.

I always kinda liked the disc wheel on the rear of the Disc Glide and FXLR.

Putting it on the front involves a lot more.

The OP asked for thoughts on putting Fat Boy wheels on an FXR.
That's exactly what he got...thoughts.

I never said an FXR with Fat Boy wheels wouldn't go down the road, stop, and turn. It just won't do it as good as a stock FXR.

And as far as being the "spokesman for the majority"... that I'm not. So I'm either right or wrong. Does the majority like the Fat Boy wheels on the FXR or not? And not, "It's his bike he can do whatever he wants".

But I do read all the posts and stick by my original contentions. What I said was, "Maybe you can help our readers understand how Fat Boy wheels and a Wide Glide front end improves anything". I never got that answer.

And yes I Know Lucille was refering to the back wheel. When the OP asked about wheels (plural), I thought he meant front and rear. That makes a big difference.

So when you ask for thoughts or opinions, that's what you should expect. Not to come here for validation.

Seems to be to many dogooders trying to protect others feelings. They're all big boys and can fend for themselves. You can't save the world.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #49 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey BigPeet no hurt feelings here. Its all fun. I'm still working on my bike. I'm not the fastest these days. I build my bikes to fit me and my current needs. I went down hard in 2006 its to long of a story for now. But I really got tore up,I have one prosthetic lower left leg. And wear a prosthetic brace on my right leg. I have bad days once in a while. It has taken till just this past spring to get back up on two wheels. I sold my FLHTC with a TLE sidecar in May. Because it became to heavy. So that's when I bought the FXRS. Anyways all you need to put a 16inch wheel on the front of a FXR is a Mid glide front end. I should be done this week. I would not advise the conversion I did to a beginner. Because it wasn't a bolt on and go. Lots of mods had to be done. But I did not change my bike in any way. I can return it to stock form in a days work. By just bolting on the removed parts. Ad I like the look of a fat boy style wheel on the rear of certain bikes. Ken(FatBoy wheel lover)LOL
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Thanks, Ken. Some disagree, But I think, with this forum anyway, it's about as close to shootin' the bull as it is in person. It's just a lot harder to write what you mean than say it. So sometimes it doesn't come out right. Like you, I've got broad shoulders and can take my licks when I deserve them.

Sorry to hear about your accident...but good to hear you're back up on two wheels. I've known a handful of guys in the last 30+ years that have lost a leg in an accident. And I can think of only two that are back in the wind...both on trikes. One guy was involved in a large MC in my area, but after the accident became involved with the amputee support group at the VA. His priorities are much different then they were just a few short years ago. I remember him looking at trike sales brochures before he got out of the hospital! And he rides that trike everywhere!

I'm sure we all have thought about what we would do if we were in your situation, so it's an inspiration to hear you're doing whatever it takes to get rolling again.

Good luck, and hope the FXRS does everything you need it to do.

~Pete

Last edited by BigPeet; 12-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #51 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
8 posts in and the OP seems to have went MIA. And your right, he asked for thoughts and got what he asked for.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Thanks, Ken. Some disagree, But I think, with this forum anyway, it's about as close to shootin' the bull as it is in person. It's just a lot harder to write what you mean than say it. So sometimes it doesn't come out right. Like you, I've got broad shoulders and can take my licks when I deserve them.

Sorry to hear about your accident...but good to hear you're back up on two wheels. I've known a handful of guys in the last 30+ years that have lost a leg in an accident. And I can think of only two that are back in the wind...both on trikes. One guy was involved in a large MC in my area, but after the accident became involved with the amputee support group at the VA. His priorities are much different then they were just a few short years ago. I remember him looking at trike sales brochures before he got out of the hospital! And he rides that trike everywhere!

I'm sure we all have thought about what we would do if we were in your situation, so it's an inspiration to hear you're doing whatever it takes to get rolling again.

Good luck, and hope the FXRS does everything you need it to do.

~Pete
Dudes like Ken are truly an inspiration. Having met him in person was also a treat. Good people.
I also know a cool chick in Louisiana that lost her arm in a bike accident and is back on 2 wheels with an auto clutch. I chuckle every time I hear "I crashed once and my wife made me sell it" , shake my head and walk away.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #53 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

thebreez wants to know Dino or Syn?
would FL forks change the geometry?
I love the way my RP corners, when riding with others and not trying to loose anyone I have to slow down after the curves to let them catch up.
Having gobs of torque don't hurt....
"You sure that's just 80 inches?"
Yes, a deep breathing 80 inches!!!!!

1994 FXRP SE Heads, 42 Mikuni, EV46Cam,
Dyna SF Ignition, Bub 2into1, 10to1 Compression.
Lockhart oilcooler
Love the Torque
thebreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #54 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreez View Post
would FL forks change the geometry?
I love the way my RP corners, when riding with others and not trying to loose anyone I have to slow down after the curves to let them catch up.
Having gobs of torque don't hurt....
"You sure that's just 80 inches?"
Yes, a deep breathing 80 inches!!!!!
In theory, NO.
As long as you're not using "raked" trees, old FX/FL or later Softail parts will be same as stock. Rubber mount FLs have different offset and are completely different.
What will have affect is the length of fork tubes and wheel choice.
Stock FL forks are couple of inches shorter and FXWG/FXST are couple of inches longer. FXWG/FXST forks are 4in longer than FL.

In theory, if you used FXWG/FXST wide forks with 19in wheel, you would have a ride very close to your FXRP. FL forks with 16in wheel would lower the front of your bike by about 3 inches
Advertisement