Fat Boy wheels on FXR - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
This guy did a wideglide fat front wheel conversion, not the disc wheel but gives an idea. I do like the look, just don't know how well it handles. The front wheel to me looks heavier than the fork strength might handle well. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/3439830520.html
It just looks heavy. All Wide Glides are perfectly capable of running that wheel.
This guy used a Shovelhead era FXWG front end. They are 41mm forks vs FXR's 35 or 39mm and the length is equal to FXRS longer tubes. Personally, I prefer narrow forks, but wide glide doesn't handle any worse on its own. IMO, it is the choice of front wheel and tire that makes a difference.
If you run a 19in wheel you should expect it to handle like stock FXR.
If you run a 21 it will handle like stock FXLR.
If you run a 16 thats when things become different. You might expect quicker "turn-in" with smaller diameter tire, but the wider profile will actually slow it down and make it feel more sluggish.
I guess if you're happy with the feel of a Fat Boy, you'll be happy with Fat Boy wheels on a FXR, but if you expect the handling of FXR, you better off leaving it alone.
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Alay .... wouldn't the 16" and the 19" front wheels handle about the same if the diameters of both wheel/tire combinations were close to same?
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Alay .... wouldn't the 16" and the 19" front wheels handle about the same if the diameters of both wheel/tire combinations were close to same?
They would in the straight line. Its the contour and weight of the narrow 19in tire that will make a huge difference in the twisties.

Back in the days of roadracing, I could tell the difference between different brands of tires that were same size. Biggest mistake people make is getting biggest tires that will fit and expect better handling. Infact, the smaller tires make cornering better, accelerate faster and stop faster as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
One point I can add is here in Florida. The way they lay the black top down on the highways. They do it other places as well,the rain grooves. A skinny tired bike tends to follow the grooves and can develop a wobble. A wide tire doesn't do it as bad. It still does. I know I have never been fond of a narrow tired bike. Ken
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet wants to know Dino or Syn?
I live in Florida also and think that's everywhere. You are right about it being a little more pronounced on my FXR then my Road King, but not enough to want to put Fat Boy wheels on the FXR!

By the way, what size tire is that on the FXR under your signature, 1970pelle?

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #36 (permalink)
IronButt

On the front it was the stock 19 inch. And on the rear a new Dunlop 16 inch mounted on a Fat Boy style rear wheel. Which I really like the look. My Shovel has one on its rear. The XL I recently sold had the same rear set up. Rather than list all of my past rides which would be a long list. 99% of the I had change out the wheels. Its what I like. Ken
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
On the front it was the stock 19 inch. And on the rear a new Dunlop 16 inch mounted on a Fat Boy style rear wheel. Which I really like the look. My Shovel has one on its rear. The XL I recently sold had the same rear set up. Rather than list all of my past rides which would be a long list. 99% of the I had change out the wheels. Its what I like. Ken
Sorry Ken, that was just a little of my humor.

In one post you said you were never fond of a narrow tired bike.
But your picture shows a narrow tired bike.

So when you say, "On the front it was a stock 19 inch", does that mean it was or it is?

~Pete

I confuse easily too!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

Well BigPeet that's a deep question. You have scene and read and asked all the right question's. My FXR currently has a 41mm Wide Glide front end mounted on it. And a 16 in wheel and tire. Sir. don't worry about me BigPeet I don't wear my heart on my sleeve,so it doesn't get bumped very often. So carry on. Ken
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

Well Ken , my intentions weren't to hurt your feelings or such, your answers really did confuse me because the picture of your bike clearly shows a 19" wheel.

So when you are talking about not liking narrow tire bikes, saying "on the front was the stock 19 inch", I was left scratching my head.

Maybe I'm prying a little, but a Wide Glide front end with a 16" wheel kinda makes it a different bike. Why don't you have a picture of that bike under your signature?

~Pete
Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Hey guys, anybody know of any problems putting Fatboy wheels on a 86 FXRS? I also want to convert to chain drive, any thoughts out there?
Anything to contribute here BigPeet ...... ?
Please share your years of FXR experience .....
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
build it

Knighty-Knight wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wouldnt wider tires increase the ceiling for traction in a corner to a point while decreasing feel? I'm pretty sure that the responsiveness could be increased by changing more parts, like the trees; at least this was he case with a few sport bikes.

Motorcycle Metal put 16s on a fxr, ground clearance appeared to be less, but I inderstood the move. There are several hipo builds out there that are using tall wheels, like 18 or 19s, and those were the preferred sizes for handling in those applications; could more have been had, maybe, but now everything becomes one off or very expensive..
Knighty-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Anything to contribute here BigPeet ...... ?
Please share your years of FXR experience .....
Your contribution has been great, Lucille. The original OP also participated very little to his own thread.

So it's ironic you put his original question in your last post. I'm sure you knew when he asked if there were any problems putting Fat Boy wheels on a FXRS he meant mechanicaly.

Did you not expect the majority to think putting those wheels on an FXRS was asinine?

And seeing how the vast majority love the performance aspect of their FXR over anything "cosmetic", and seeing you touting your bike as a "hot rod", I expected you to at least partly understand that. Maybe you can help the readers understand how the Wide Glide and Fat Boy wheel improves anything.

And please don't say it's his bike and he can do whatever he wants! We all know that. That's a cop out.

As far as my years of experience with the FXR, take the "s" off of years and that would sum it up. But then again, some of us are fast learners, and some bought their FXR brand new and still know very little about them.

And as far as my experience with the Forum, this is the first and only one I've ever been on. So when I read Ken's post, #34 I think, it kind of threw me. He says he never liked narrow tired bikes but has a picture of one under his signature. Maybe I'm the only one that noticed that? Again I'm new to this but I thought the idea was to put a picture of your FXR on there, but I guess not.

And as far as 16" tires go, I've had a number of bikes in the last 35+ yrs, and they all had 16" tires except my FXR. Do you think maybe there was a reason they didn't put a Wide Glide and 16" wheel on an FXR?

I have been reading this forum long enough to know that by far the vast majority of members think putting a Fat Boy wheel on a FXR is silly, although it was pretty popular in the early '90's during the Fat Boy craze.

So instead of your short one liners, feel free to pick apart my posts, tell me were I'm wrong so I can learn some of your years of FXR wisdom. Remember, we all start at the bottom.

I'm a pretty inquisitive guy, and the only way to learn is from people that know what I don't. Feel free to help me out.

~Pete

Last edited by BigPeet; 12-08-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
The original OP also participated very little to his own thread........
I'm sure you knew when he asked if there were any problems putting Fat Boy wheels on a FXRS he meant mechanically.

****You answered the OP in multiple posts about how you didn't like his choice of wheels. It was about aesthetics to you. ****

Did you not expect the majority to think putting those wheels on an FXRS was asinine?

****I don't know or care what the 'majority' think. It's the OP's FXR, and as you stated he asked a mechanical question. You slammed him with an aesthetic answer....numerous times. You also slammed another member here who posted a pic of his FXR with Fatboy wheels. Any particular reason for your behavior? ****

And seeing how the vast majority love the performance aspect of their FXR over anything "cosmetic", and seeing you touting your bike as a "hot rod", I expected you to at least partly understand that. Maybe you can help the readers understand how the Wide Glide and Fat Boy wheel improves anything.

****My references, if you care to re-read them, were for the back 16" disc wheel. Many FXR owners run them. Standard on the FXLR.
How do you know what the 'vast majority' think about about their motorcycles? ****

And please don't say it's his bike and he can do whatever he wants! We all know that. That's a cop out.

****Your above statement is truly a 'head scratcher' .... care to clarify? ****

Do you think maybe there was a reason they didn't put a Wide Glide and 16" wheel on an FXR?

****You and I don't know how the OP rides his bike. You slammed him and another member for 'their' choice of wheels on 'their' motorcycles. 'Their' choice of wheels just doesn't seem acceptable to you.****

I have been reading this forum long enough to know that by far the vast majority of members think putting a Fat Boy wheel on a FXR is silly........

****You've mentioned 'the majority/vast majority' numerous times in your un-edited post.......Are you the spokesman for the 'vast majority' ..... ? ****

So instead of your short one liners, feel free to pick apart my posts, tell me were I'm wrong so I can learn some of your years of FXR wisdom. Remember, we all start at the bottom.

****Maybe the OP is just starting out also, maybe searching for info about 'his' motorcycle too....... Did he need to get slammed? I hope that the OP contributes again without the critique from folks that should know better. Again, it's his bike ..... ****

I'm a pretty inquisitive guy, and the only way to learn is from people that know what I don't. Feel free to help me out.

~Pete
Done your Christmas shopping yet .......
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Dave_89FXRT wants to know Dino or Syn?
so the FXR Gestapo says NEIN! to the fatboy wheels...you lose! good day sir! =D

wfojons bike looks good to me...as long as no perma-butchering is done it can always be brought back to original if the parts are saved...oh boy imagine that...

chain drive...a local mechanic put a chain drive on his fatboy...then again his job is to hot rod harleys and he owns a dyno...and of course it's around 150ft lbs to the wheel...guess he NEEDS a chain....bet my humble i guess stage 1 evo doesn't...
Dave_89FXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_89FXRT View Post
so the FXR Gestapo says NEIN! to the fatboy wheels...you lose! good day sir! =D

wfojons bike looks good to me...as long as no perma-butchering is done it can always be brought back to original if the parts are saved...oh boy imagine that...

chain drive...a local mechanic put a chain drive on his fatboy...then again his job is to hot rod harleys and he owns a dyno...and of course it's around 150ft lbs to the wheel...guess he NEEDS a chain....bet my humble i guess stage 1 evo doesn't...
Your NAZI crap is neither funny nor witty. You lose for thinking of it in those terms.

And we're allowed to dislike the Fatboy wheel mod; the dislike is not pathological. Mine is like I disliked my FXRT in black, compared to its current white color.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement