Fat Boy wheels on FXR - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
I've owned a Fat Boy Joe....not true.
Ok, thanks. It didn't seem right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Atagnan View Post
The missing "R" as a typo and for some reason I cant change it
Admin can.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like the mag on the back with a spoke up front. Other than that, buy a Fat Boy like Joe said.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Don't monkey with me

Location: Ca - top of a mountain looking at the great Mojave Desert.
wfojon wants to know Dino or Syn?
I really like the handling of the FXR and I like the Fatboy wheels. here is my 85 with a wide front to fit the wheel. Still has great handling and I like the look.

The purists have already been on me..
Jon
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
FNG :)

Cthulhu wants to know Dino or Syn?
nice bike Jon thanks for picture
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

juiced03 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Will you be calling it the FXR Dough Boy?
juiced03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Got my answer thanks to the helpers ! Trolls keep on Trolling
Man you need to chill a little. Take the replies as they come.

A lot of the guys around here shed a tear every time they see an FXR gutted for parts or used to build a custom. There are just so few of them left, we hate to see one die. So they aren't trolling you, it's just their way of asking why you would waste a complete FXR that way. Just answer them. They'll listen, for the most part.

When they start razzing you for real, you'll know it.

Oh, and one more thing. When you come in here with less than one two, perhaps 6 posts and act like an ass, you may find that a lot of people stop responding to your posts. A little click of the mouse and you no longer exist to them.

Last edited by Thermodyne; 12-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Man you need to chill a little. Take the replies as they come.

A lot of the guys around here shed a tear every time they see an FXR gutted for parts or used to build a custom. There are just so few of them left, we hate to see one die. So they aren't trolling you, it's just there way of asking why you would waste a complete FXR that way. Just answer them. They'll listen, for the most part.

When they start razzing you for real, you'll know it.

Oh, and one more thing. When you come in here with less than one two, perhaps 6 posts and act like an ass, you may find that a lot of people stop responding to your posts. A little click of the mouse and you no longer exist to them.
You are so right, Thermodyne.

I always get a kick out of someone responding with the old, " It's your bike, do whatever you want". Or, "I don't care what anyone thinks, I like it, so kiss my *ss".

First off it's a given. It's not illegal to to screw up a perfectly good FXR.

Secondly, everyone that says they don't care what others think of their bike, then why the hell do they put big pictures of it on the forum? Everyone wants people to like their bike!

Most of the guys on this forum are purists or closer to purists then custom FXR fans. I read every post and see the guys get more excited over a clean bone stock FXR then they would ever get over Fat Boy wheels, Wide Glide front ends, or Maltese Cross mirrors.

Try going on the Hayabusa Forum and tell them you are going to put apehangers, saddlebags, and a 3' sissybar on your bike.

Go on the '69 Z28 forum and tell them you are going to pull out your 302 and put in a 305.

Try that and see what kind of response you'd get!

I think you have to know the FXR, and love it to understand.

And I'll be the first to admit, until recently I would have put the FXR close to the bottom of my favorite Harley list. But after getting mine, riding and reading all all could about it, I now consider myself part of the "Cult".

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'll tell you my experience. Two years ago I bought an 85 FXRS that was mildy customized ( apes, lowered, etc). When I started riding it my feeling was that it was a bit of a rickety old Harley and didn't see what the FXR fuss was all about. I decided at first to customize it further to fit my taller body. I put on forward controls, longer forks and shocks, custom Corbin seat that sat me a little more back , windshield etc. Things improved but I still didn't understand all the fuss. Since I started tweaking my bike I just kept going. Found RT fairing and bags. Well that stock FXRT fairing made a huge difference over the bolt on windshield. No more high speed wind buffeting, the faster I went the more solid it felt. I started reading more about the FXRT and at that point I started DEcustomizing my ride. I found mid controls and replaced the forwards with mids and highway pegs. MUCH better control in curves! Replaced the apes with stock bars and the seat geometry was corrected so in went a stock seat. As I brought the bike closer to stock specs the handling REALLY started to improve. Now I feel like all I have to do is think about where to place the bike on the road and its there! Splitting lanes on the highway at 80 mph is a piece of cake. Twisties? No problem. The FXR is an example of intelligent design and I am no expert to improve on that other than minor adjustments for my body shape and small style touches ( I put on laced spoked wheels for the look) etc. Personally I like the look of the fat front tire and I am sure that it is more stable in the case of rough road and feels smooth. That said I personally bow to the expertise of the engineers who designed this bike as a complete system and wouldn't do it. If you do, I would save the stock front end in case you want to put it back or want to later sell the bike to someone who prefers it stock.

Last edited by yogin; 12-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Absolutly. Anytime you modify a bike you are doing it for yourself only. if you ever want to sell it you'll probably lose money. My taste, your taste, and the next guys taste are all different.

My dream bike is a nice FXRP. Unfortunatly at my size, the stock seat, mid controls and pullbacks are not an option. I just couldn't ride comfortably. But living in Florida I have no twisty mountain roads. When I ride my FXR I'm with guys on Ultras and Road Glides. And I have no problem keeping up with them.

As far as the WG frontend, I believe it was said that one of the reasons the FXR was discontinued was the frame wasn't suitable for the WG. But guys swear they handle fine with the change.

~Pete
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Thermodyne. BigPete, and yogin--

I love you guys.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
I always get a kick out of someone responding with the old, " It's your bike, do whatever you want"......

Anytime you modify a bike you are doing it for yourself only........~Pete
The OP asked about disc wheels for 'his bike' ........ Some FXR connoisseurs act like it's 'their bike' ........ again, a curious thread .....
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
is it fair to say that OP asked for opinions and got them?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
This guy did a wideglide fat front wheel conversion, not the disc wheel but gives an idea. I do like the look, just don't know how well it handles. The front wheel to me looks heavier than the fork strength might handle well. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/3439830520.html
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Don't monkey with me

Location: Ca - top of a mountain looking at the great Mojave Desert.
wfojon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks, I am real happy with the bike if you do the change it takes some dinking but not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
nice bike Jon thanks for picture
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
The OP asked about disc wheels for 'his bike' ........ Some FXR connoisseurs act like it's 'their bike' ........ again, a curious thread .....
Really, they sure get their panties in a wad over an old 20 some year old bike that isn't worth much if you try selling. It is all about having something you want to ride and you get out there and ride.
Jon
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfojon View Post
Thanks, I am real happy with the bike if you do the change it takes some dinking but not a problem.

Really, they sure get their panties in a wad over an old 20 some year old bike that isn't worth much if you try selling. It is all about having something you want to ride and you get out there and ride.
Jon
Well Jon, you have one such bike, so of course you'll never understand what the majority think.

You proved my point posing in front of the MGB ( or whatever it is ). You obviously are very proud of both vehicles and want to show them off. And that's perfectly natural.

You also proved my point by getting your panties in a wad when your taste in bikes was questioned.

Again, you won't go to FXR jail for putting Fat Boy wheels on an FXR. You won't be kicked out of the Forum, or made to wear a scarlet letter on your forehead. But it's also not fair to expect everyone to jump up and down with excitement over Fat Boy wheels when it seems the majority thinks they suck.

I'm not sure I get your point about not getting much for some old 20 year old bike either. I'm sure your Fat boy conversion didn't come cheap. Do you think it was a good investment if you were to sell your bike?

~Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement