trans upgrade 87 Fxr : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

broke87 wants to know Dino or Syn?
trans upgrade 87 Fxr

first off I'm new to the fxr and this site so please be patient with me, I blew my trans and want to go with a 6 speed conversion kit from Ultima. has anybody out there used this kit and what do you think of it, I also wanna put a open primary on it with forward controls. I know I'm gonna have to go with a newer style starter with this idea so will the stock amp output be enough for the new starter? Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if these questions have been asked a hundred times before....Mark
broke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

JayFL459 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't have the talent to answer these for you but am sure you will get some replies soon .. Welcome to the Forum ..
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If you are going to change the primary, then you'll be wanting to switch to the late style splined input shaft. Actually, any time you replace a keyed input shaft you'd be well advised to upgrade to a newer splined shaft. All it adds to the job is the cost of a clutch hub.

You'll also have to check and see what year tranny the belt drive is compatible with. Some of the kits only fit the late style tranny housing.

As to the starter, I'm not sure what you are asking? The late style starter is more efficient and actually requires less battery power to start the scooter. But as you are going to a belt drive, you'll need to check the ratio. A lower ratio primary gear/sprocket set increases the load on the starter.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I want to use a Ultima 6 speed conversion kit with probably a Delkon case, I know the conversion has the splined shaft instead of the keyed sfaft, makes sense on the newer style starter using less amperage to fire her up.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check these guys out. For your starter and belt drive ?'s. http://www.techcycle.com/products.html
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

there right around the corner from me, real nice stuff
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

nobody out there is using the ultima trans? thats not a good sign i guess
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

omgtkk wants to know Dino or Syn?
My '86 FXRD is in the shop as we speak having a Baker DD6 and Baker SP9 clutch installed. I kept the original closed primary and old style starter, but upgraded the gearset and clutch so I could move up to a splined shaft. Yeah, it's a lot pricier than the Ultima gearset, but the quality is there.
The Ultima units are discussed pretty regularly on another Harley Forum I frequent and the word on them is pretty decent. Not up there with Baker, but decent as long as you aren't running them behind a monster motor.
omgtkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Baker stuff is best but pricey. I have a friend with a Ultima 6 speed and he says it's a good tranny, never had a problem. The techcycle stuff is nice, and pricey as well. I'm sure like most thinks you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks for the input guys, i really didn't think this conversion would turn into all of this research
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

convergecult wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've just pulled the trigger on the Ultima setup for my FXR. I'll have it next week and I'll hit you back with some input. After doing alot of research the Ultima 6 speed builder's kits have gotten some pretty decent feedback. This seems like the best option if you can't afford a Baker...
convergecult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

thanks bro I'm interested in how you make out with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement