Big decision to make...need some advice from the FXR guys : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Big decision to make...need some advice from the FXR guys

So here's the situation (Sorry in advance for the wall of text):

I've been looking at getting a FXR for awhile, buddy got one in at his shop, and to make a long story short, we cut a deal for $5k, I put down a deposit and we decided to work out payments to ease the burden with the holidays and all.

BTW - Bike is a REALLY clean '87 FXRS-SP, 30k on the odo, shifts smooth, doesn't leak a drop (top end gaskets were just redone as it came into the shop with a rear base gasket leak), clean wiring, all original looking down to the crossover, with the exception of grips and slip-ons...it needs nothing but a new owner.

Well, here's the problem. Buddy calls me up and said he picked up a 82 and a 94 FXR and if I wanted I could switch the deal to one of them if I wanted to (price subject to change of course), because there was another guy that was REALLY interested in the one I snagged.

went to check the bikes out, and now I don't know what to do.

94 is clean as a whistle, no leaks, 27k on the odo, rides great, but he wants $6500

82 is in really good shape for being 30 years old, mostly original actually. Original style tins (paint was re-done, but well), some kind of wacky 2-1 pipe, forward controls, and a mustang seat is about all that was messed with. Numbers match on frame and engine too $5000

The 82 puked some oil at startup, but hopefully just a wet sump, it stopped after a min, small leak out of the rear rocker box gasket, and a little drip from the outer primary, but not a hell of a lot of vibration (no worse than a evo), no scary noises, just a little squeaking from the gear drive while it was cold, and that went away when it warmed up, and a welded repair on the inner primary, (bolt where it mates to the case, but a good job).

-94 Love it, better tranny, clutch, starter, etc.. but is it worth $6500?

-87 looks SOLID, and at $5000 the price is right

-82...needs a little tlc, but its a shovel $5000

So any thoughts?

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Sight unseen, who can say.

Based on what you posted, I'd try for the 94 at $6000. But there are a lot a variables.

The 82, not unless you really want to have a shovel.

87 seems like a fair price for a clean scooter. But to move to a 94 for $1500 more, it's tempting. Lots to really love about 92-94 FXR's.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Go for the 94. You won't regret it in the long run. You are going to wind up putting a lot of bucks into the bike over the years if you keep it. A few hundred now shouldn't make too much of a difference if it is really a good buy. The advice around here seems to be the later the fxr, the better.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like FXRs and Shovelheads ... just not at the same time.
For me, classic Shovelhead has to be in a 4 speed frame.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
87 seems like a fair price for a clean scooter. But to move to a 94 for $1500 more, it's tempting. Lots to really love about 92-94 FXR's.
Agree with everything you say here, I think I'm just beating myself up over the $1500 this close to the holidays.

As for the 82, I like the idea of owning one, just not 100% sure it would be the BEST idea.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
I like FXRs and Shovelheads ... just not at the same time.
For me, classic Shovelhead has to be in a 4 speed frame.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I would opt for the '87. The SP is a great bike and like many have said, you're gonna dump lots of money into the bike. It's not much to do the tranny conversion or throw a 6 speed or something down the road. UNless the 87 is a whack color, then I would personally go for that.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
Go for the 94. You won't regret it in the long run. You are going to wind up putting a lot of bucks into the bike over the years if you keep it. A few hundred now shouldn't make too much of a difference if it is really a good buy. The advice around here seems to be the later the fxr, the better.
For the exception of 99 and 2000's as it seems.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
For the exception of 99 and 2000's as it seems.

I'd feel stuck with a FXR2/3/4.

Wouldn't feel right to mod, and this bike is going to be for riding and having a good time on, don't know if I'll mod or keep it stock-ish, but either way I don't want to limit my options... same reason I passed on a nice 87 blue frame. I'd feel like a dick if I did anything but restore it.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

tussuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not the 82 that's for sure... I would stick with the 87!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
D.L.R.A #1174
tussuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

V-STRUM wants to know Dino or Syn?
As much as I love my '87 FXRS-SP, I think I would lean a little more to the '94. As mentioned in this post, and elsewhere in this forum, the newer the evo the better. I believe the base gasket leak may be a chronic issue, I use to replace mine about every 30K miles before finally doing HD's motor remanufacture thing, now no leaks in 60K miles. The thing I love about the '87 -SP is the dual disc brakes and the taller suspension, both easily added to the '94 if it doesn't have it, but that can be done over time, or not at all.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unless you're wanting a so called collector bike I'd go for the '94. Easier to get parts. The cases and tranny spline are much improved over the earlier bikes. Remember an '87 is 25 years old even though the bike has low miles. In the end the extra $1500 will be a great investment. Shovels are cool but Evos run much better.
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

boss hoss bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Loved my 87 but I'd go for the 94, 7 years younger for a minimal amount makes sense to me!
boss hoss bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unca Mike View Post
The cases and tranny spline are much improved over the earlier bikes.
This is my main concern between the 87 & 94, the 87 still has the old clutch and tapered mainshaft, vs. the newer style diaphragm clutch and splined mainshaft.

Easy enough to replace, but I'm sure I couldn't do it for the $1500 difference I'd save over the 94

...but I believe some 94's had issues with the cases cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-STRUM View Post
... before finally doing HD's motor remanufacture thing
V-Strum, what did that set you back? Price-wise vs opening up the bottom end and replacing the cases, is this a better alternative IF I ever need to go there?

Do you know if they did the reman with INA or Torrington bearings? (caged vs full compliment)

Either bike would be eventually getting updates: suspension, brakes, carb, pipes, ign, bearings/rubber mounts if needed, so I'm not sweating any of that.

Guess I'm just trying to pick my poison at this point.

The 82 is pretty much out. After sleeping on it - shovel is just not where I want to go right now.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special

Last edited by Blackened; 11-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

brassman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would got for the 94 myself. I also prefer the dual disc front end but could be added later.
brassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

V-STRUM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post

V-Strum, what did that set you back? Price-wise vs opening up the bottom end and replacing the cases, is this a better alternative IF I ever need to go there?

Do you know if they did the reman with INA or Torrington bearings? (caged vs full compliment)
I did my motor 11 yrs ago, mainly because I was going to powder coat the motor black. Since I was going to open it up, and the motor had over a 100k on it, I figured for a little more money I'd have it freshened up. I think it was around $2500, now I think it's around $3500. Not sure about the bearings, but it was my understanding that components would be replaced and the motor built to current spec. For example, my motor went in with a crankcase breather and came back with head breathers.

If your planning on upgrading the suspension, brakes, etc. I definitely go for the '94 Evo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement