Big decision to make...need some advice from the FXR guys - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #46 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

chilsam wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amf

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
wtf does this crap mean?
You live UNDER a ROCK ??? LOL
chilsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #47 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
I think he is talking about AMF era vs newer Shovels ...
sure the qualty improved in the 80s, but I still think Evo takes abuse better and longer than a Shovel.
and STILL goin STRONG!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #48 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilsam View Post
I've outgrown that tho and am LOOKING for some FXRT clamshells and mounts .....ANY out there????
chilsam

You could try keeping an eye out on craigslist. Check the Chicago and quad cities areas, seem to be a few FXRs around the area that pop up for sale, also eBay...and everyone's favorite Elvis.
Another idea is to find a FXRT or FXRP and use it as a donor, then you can always recoup by selling the stripped down bike as a FXR. Don't see a heck of a lot of RT's but they're pretty reasonable when they pop up. Last one I saw was at house of harley in Milwaukee for $3500 about six months ago.

Btw you have a sharp bike there, and I think it's pretty damn cool you're the original owner...just wanted to throw that out there.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #49 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
and STILL goin STRONG!
i'm sure being original owner and taking good care of the bike means a lot. how many miles are on it?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #50 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

GOD only knows after I broke the original cable racn that LTD I just used the tach and seat of the pants for speedometer.I change the oil when I notice more tickn or my GUESS of 2,000 miles and use either straight 50 or 60W VALVOLINE racing oil with STP in the summer.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #51 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm sure there some long in the tooth Shovelheads out there, but I think we all know of many more 100,000 mile EVOs than Shovels. I'm not a motor-builder guy, but can see the obvious advantages just in the way intake manifold and exhaust pipes bolt up. Aluminum cylinders are probably an improvement and I've heard about EVO heads just flowing better ... I don't think MoCo replaced the Shovel without a reason.
I'll never get rid of my Shovel FX, but I'll be the first to admit that my Twinkie Dyna is just a better bike all around. At 90 it feels the way my Shovel does at 70. Some of it is probably a 5speed vs 4, but 25 years make a difference too.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #52 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buy the 94. Seems to be the best deal of the bunch. If you had to buy any one of these 3 bikes not having to compare them to each other, sounds like you would no problem buying any one of them. It just gets a little tougher when you have 3 sitting right in front of you. I like shovels and EVO's for what they are. But you can't go wrong with that 94 FXR.

What do I know? I own a Shovel and a EVO. lol

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #53 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Tough choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch58 View Post
Buy the 94. Seems to be the best deal of the bunch. If you had to buy any one of these 3 bikes not having to compare them to each other, sounds like you would no problem buying any one of them. It just gets a little tougher when you have 3 sitting right in front of you. I like shovels and EVO's for what they are. But you can't go wrong with that 94 FXR.

What do I know? I own a Shovel and a EVO. lol
but a NICE tough choice!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #54 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
I'm sure there some long in the tooth Shovelheads out there, but I think we all know of many more 100,000 mile EVOs than Shovels. I'm not a motor-builder guy, but can see the obvious advantages just in the way intake manifold and exhaust pipes bolt up. Aluminum cylinders are probably an improvement and I've heard about EVO heads just flowing better ... I don't think MoCo replaced the Shovel without a reason.
I'll never get rid of my Shovel FX, but I'll be the first to admit that my Twinkie Dyna is just a better bike all around. At 90 it feels the way my Shovel does at 70. Some of it is probably a 5speed vs 4, but 25 years make a difference too.
GOD I hope there is an improvement in flow the SHOVEL design is 40+ years old.Though it STILL is the same combustion chamber wise as a KNUCKLE & PAN ports are diff.The one thing to remember is it's still a HEMI and they still run that design in TOP FUELERS and they do HAUL AZZ!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #55 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thank-you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
chilsam

You could try keeping an eye out on craigslist. Check the Chicago and quad cities areas, seem to be a few FXRs around the area that pop up for sale, also eBay...and everyone's favorite Elvis.
Another idea is to find a FXRT or FXRP and use it as a donor, then you can always recoup by selling the stripped down bike as a FXR. Don't see a heck of a lot of RT's but they're pretty reasonable when they pop up. Last one I saw was at house of harley in Milwaukee for $3500 about six months ago.

Btw you have a sharp bike there, and I think it's pretty damn cool you're the original owner...just wanted to throw that out there.
I appreciate that!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #56 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Second thought, get that shovel and turn it into this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	192485_452571948112472_528263300_o-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	75019  

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

plugeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
The one thing to remember is it's still a HEMI and they still run that design in TOP FUELERS and they do HAUL AZZ!
what good is that for a street machine?
i wouldnt STEAL a hemi
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
GOD I hope there is an improvement in flow the SHOVEL design is 40+ years old.Though it STILL is the same combustion chamber wise as a KNUCKLE & PAN ports are diff.The one thing to remember is it's still a HEMI and they still run that design in TOP FUELERS and they do HAUL AZZ!
Wow!! We're now comparing a Shovel to a Top Fueler?

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #59 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Still under that ROCK...EH

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
what good is that for a street machine?
i wouldnt STEAL a hemi
You OBVIOUSLY don't KNOW what you are talking about go to youtube and watch HEMI CHALLENGER vs LAMBORGHINI.Also NASCAR outlawed them in the early 70's which is why CHRYSLER said F U and QUIT.Your probably a small block chevy clone!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #60 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Yes i am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Wow!! We're now comparing a Shovel to a Top Fueler?

~Pete
Are U saying that they are NOT BOTH HEMISPHERICAL combustion CHAMBERS? Your probably a small block chevy clone also BUT you BOTH ride evo's so Im NOT surprised!OOO n I'll compare it to a PRATT & WHITNEY TWIN WASP & WRIGHT CYCLONE and connecting rod set up Sporty & Big Twin "MALE FEMALE" to a ROLLS ROYCE MERLIN and Daimler-Benz DB 601 also you do know what these are?..EH

Last edited by chilsam; 11-27-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.