Big decision to make...need some advice from the FXR guys - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

chilsam wants to know Dino or Syn?
It is black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
No one is cutting down the shovel. I envy you for having a reliable shovel for the last 30 years. But if you think that's the norm, you're only fooling yourself.

Everything being equal you can throw the opinions out the window. The '94 is a better bike. Having said that, without actually seeing the bikes, and knowing the lowball price on each, it's only a guess on which to buy.

Reading Blackened's posts, it's obvious he is already very knowledgable on the FXR. When there is $1500 difference in the two bikes you should look at all the variables. What are your plans for the bike? Can you ride them for a while without putting any more money in them, etc, etc?

Someone told me a long time ago, when I wasn't sure which bike to buy, he said, "You'll know it when you see it".

Oh yea, as far as cutting down the shovel, I think your theory, HEAR no Evo, SEE no Evo, RIDE no Evo, is kind of like calling the kettle black.

I've read some of your other posts, including a recent one about, "It's an Evo, one of many IMO". Sounds like a little "cutting down" to me!

I think it's only fair to give him the best advice, not a biased opinion. And I think he's been getting great advice.

~Pete
I'm returning in kind but more direct is all.Your statement MAY hold water on the ADIOS M*
THR *UKER bikes but when HARLEY became HARLEY again their VALUES changed and the NEWER SHOVELS are just as RELIABLE as the Evo's.IMHO
chilsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilsam View Post
I'm returning in kind but more direct is all.Your statement MAY hold water on the ADIOS M*
THR *UKER bikes but when HARLEY became HARLEY again their VALUES changed and the NEWER SHOVELS are just as RELIABLE as the Evo's.IMHO
Pretty bold statement. I don't know what the ADIOS M* THR *UKER bikes are, but I can only say bulls**t.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

Rereading the posts, it looks like 10 are for the Evo, mostly the '94, and 2 ( Springer & Chilsam ) seem to be for the Shovel.

Like I asked before, are you answering with your heart or your head?

~Pete
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

plugeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilsam View Post
wtf does this crap mean?
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
wtf does this crap mean?
For us sheltered guys I looked it up.

It means AMF. I never heard that in my neck of the woods.

~Pete
Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think he is talking about AMF era vs newer Shovels ...
sure the qualty improved in the 80s, but I still think Evo takes abuse better and longer than a Shovel.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ha! Timing is everything ...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

Yep, you had more words to type than me!

~Pete
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I don't know what the ADIOS M* THR *UKER bikes are, but I can only say bulls**t.

~Pete
I almost spit out my drink when I read that. Haven't heard anyone say that since my Old Man in like '78.

Well, here's the update. Went over to the shop after work and picked on the 94 a little (honestly, wasn't easy...bike is pretty sharp) and threw a $6000 offer. He didn't sneeze at it, just said let him think.

My guess is he knew I was just grasping at straws, but he might bend just cause he want's some extra cash coming in for Christmas.

Anyway, I should know something soon.

Thanks again everyone!

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

I also don't know were all this crap about a paint job is coming from. He never said any of the bikes needed paint.

OK, reread your post. Assumming he does need a paint job. You say it seems most don't do their own work. So if he was to buy the $6500 bike, which I think should be in pretty good shape for that price,(and he says it is), and it did need a new paint job, and he had to pay to have a "three stage paint job" done because unlike you he can't do it himself, how much would he have invested in the bike now?

Well, just to settle this, none of them really need paint...don't know where that came from anyway.

Even if they did, I can lay down paint too. Spent 4 years spraying custom cabinets, and 3 years detailing and doing auto paint, so don't worry about me there. If I wanted to get all crazy with metal flake or airbrush I might farm out, but a straight paint job is easy enough.

That being said, if I was going to pick up a bike that was that bad off I damn sure wouldn't pay $6k for it UNLESS it was REALLY something special.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but $1500 is a lot of money when he says he's worrying about the holidays and is closing on a house. It's nice of everyone to tell him it's no big deal.

I don't get the logic here. I payed $2500 for my bike. I could put another $4000 in it to make it really look nice.Then I would have a $6500 bike. Why would you pay $6500 for an FXR and then put $4000 (or whatever amount) more into it?
You're right $1500 is a lot of money, especially for me right now...it is what it is. But I can see both sides of the argument. My solution, lowball the guy, and see where it goes.

My thing is I don't want to have to put cash into fixing surprises that could go to things that need replacing anyway. That $1500 could be going to cartridge emulators, springs, and a set of racetech piggybacks...not that I'm necessarily going that way, but you get my drift.

(BTW not pickin at you Pete, just using your post)

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special

Last edited by Blackened; 11-26-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #41 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
I believe I was suggesting that I (me) perfer the Shovel. And yes, the Shovel was the only motor available when the FXR was designed thus supporting my comment that the FXR was designed for the Shovel and the EVO came along later.

I ride with a friend that has a Buell XB12X, I run mine up over 90 regularly. To lose me he has to hold over 105 or I am right behind him when he stops. Sure it is not fast or quick but suggesting they can't take more than 65 ...

1983 FXRT bone stock original engine thats never been apart with a solid 60lbs tq and 47hp, does wheelies EVERYTIME I ride.

And the 94 would likely be a better purchase for the OP, IMO.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

[QUOTE=springer-;2200060]I believe I was suggesting that I (me) perfer the Shovel. And yes, the Shovel was the only motor available when the FXR was designed thus supporting my comment that the FXR was designed for the Shovel and the EVO came along later.

I ride with a friend that has a Buell XB12X, I run mine up over 90 regularly. To lose me he has to hold over 105 or I am right behind him when he stops. Sure it is not fast or quick but suggesting they can't take more than 65 ...

1983 FXRT bone stock original engine thats never been apart with a solid 60lbs tq and 47hp, does wheelies EVERYTIME I ride.

And the 94 would likely be a better purchase for the OP, IMO.[/QUOTE]

There you go. And I'm definintly not Anti-Shovel. I think the '94 is the better purchase, but with all things being equal, and two other bikes in the garage, I'd probably take the Shovel myself.

And Blackened, I wish you luck whichever way you go. It's your money, your vision, and would always have been your choice whether you talked to us or not.

~Pete

Last edited by BigPeet; 11-27-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #43 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I say i said

Quote:
Pretty bold statement. I don't know what the ADIOS M* THR *UKER bikes are, but I can only say bulls**t.

~Pete
Read ALL of my post's I'm NOT making ANY of this up.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #44 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ran a LTD 1000 to boulder col

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
I believe I was suggesting that I (me) perfer the Shovel. And yes, the Shovel was the only motor available when the FXR was designed thus supporting my comment that the FXR was designed for the Shovel and the EVO came along later.

And the 94 would likely be a better purchase for the OP, IMO.
back in 85 broke my speedo "85mph" looked over at his said 120 to 125 mph.I havent been able to get the cable to not BIND at the speedo because of gas tank on mine BUUT I do KNOW my feet want to come off the forward control pegs and front end gets light before I say F it and STILL have about a 1/4 to 1/3 of throttle left OOO and stripped down Road Kings are NO problem.I've outgrown that tho and am LOOKING for some FXRT clamshells and mounts .....ANY out there????
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Maybe

Quote:
Rereading the posts, it looks like 10 are for the Evo, mostly the '94, and 2 ( Springer & Chilsam ) seem to be for the Shovel.

Like I asked before, are you answering with your heart or your head?

~Pete
Pete but I bought this bike back in 82 when NOBODY or very few wanted a HARLEY "Kaw 900 n 1000's" I've been to S.D Cal and back 2wc and Den Col 1nc from Cent IL and rode the H*LL out of it around here and the lower end has NEVER been apart top end yes "OVER REVVED BENT VALVES".Gotta remember I bought this when I was 21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.