Big decision to make...need some advice from the FXR guys - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
If you can afford it, I'd recommend the 94, then the 87, then the 82. This is mostly based on reading the motor guys' opinions over the years, especially Springer's.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
For the exception of 99 and 2000's as it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
I'd feel stuck with a FXR2/3/4.

Wouldn't feel right to mod, and this bike is going to be for riding and having a good time on, don't know if I'll mod or keep it stock-ish, but either way I don't want to limit my options... same reason I passed on a nice 87 blue frame. I'd feel like a dick if I did anything but restore it.
What? You guys don't want to mess with CVO's?

With FXR's, it's just paint.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
What? You guys don't want to mess with CVO's?

With FXR's, it's just paint.
Just how I feel, don't know about anyone else.

If I can accomplish what I want to do without molesting a CVO, thats the way I'll go...hopefully leave it for someone who will do right by it.

316 Candy Tangerine FXR4's, 664 screaming yellow pearl, 64 blue FXR3'S, 750 blue frame FXRC's etc...

Might just be paint to some, might be a little more than that to others.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

chilsam wants to know Dino or Syn?
Everyone on here is cutting down the 82 Shovel I've had mine for 30 yr's "Bought it new" & NEVER have I had a problem with it unless "I" caused it .MY theory is...HEAR no evo,SEE no evo,RIDE no evo! IMHO!
chilsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

plugeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilsam View Post
Everyone on here is cutting down the 82 Shovel I've had mine for 30 yr's "Bought it new" & NEVER have I had a problem with it unless "I" caused it .MY theory is...HEAR no evo,SEE no evo,RIDE no evo! IMHO!
i dont think anyone has cut down pre-evo FXRs.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
No one is cutting down the shovel. I envy you for having a reliable shovel for the last 30 years. But if you think that's the norm, you're only fooling yourself.

Everything being equal you can throw the opinions out the window. The '94 is a better bike. Having said that, without actually seeing the bikes, and knowing the lowball price on each, it's only a guess on which to buy.

Reading Blackened's posts, it's obvious he is already very knowledgable on the FXR. When there is $1500 difference in the two bikes you should look at all the variables. What are your plans for the bike? Can you ride them for a while without putting any more money in them, etc, etc?

Someone told me a long time ago, when I wasn't sure which bike to buy, he said, "You'll know it when you see it".

Oh yea, as far as cutting down the shovel, I think your theory, HEAR no Evo, SEE no Evo, RIDE no Evo, is kind of like calling the kettle black.

I've read some of your other posts, including a recent one about, "It's an Evo, one of many IMO". Sounds like a little "cutting down" to me!

I think it's only fair to give him the best advice, not a biased opinion. And I think he's been getting great advice.

~Pete

Last edited by BigPeet; 11-25-2012 at 10:01 AM.
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks BigPeet,
I know a little, still have lots to learn (thankfully lol, I love these bikes), got into FXR's with my '91 which I traded for the softie, decision I regret, but I wouldn't change...love my '03...only new one I'll ever own.

I kind of see HD's like women...the 91 was the first love in HS that got away, the softie is the first wife that you thought you wanted BEFORE you really knew what you wanted, and the next one will be the one you stay with till you die...or you end up killing her

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Can you ride them for a while without putting any more money in them, etc, etc?

~Pete
That's a big part of it, closing on my house in 2 days, so a lot of work will have to wait till expenditures die down.

Quote:
Everyone on here is cutting down the 82 Shovel
Chilsam - I don't think anyone is knocking the shovel, and I'm sure I will pick one up, just not this time. You can't argue that evo parts aren't cheaper and more readily available, and while I like the idea of having a shovel, I want this bike to be able to ride right out of the gate, and between the 3, the shovel already needs the most work.

Quote:
And I think he's been getting great advice.

~Pete
I think so too.
I wanted to thank everyone for all the great advice, I think I'm going to go down to the shop after work tomorrow and see how much he'll lean on the '94. If we can come to an agreement a little closer to $6000 I think I'll go for it.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nothing wrong with a Shovelhead. If it wasn't for the Shovel there wouldn't be a EVO. If your going to own a Shovel you need to know how to work on the engine. If you are a one bike person go with one of the Evo powered ones. $1500.00 isn't that much when you think about it. If your worried about paint, buy other tin and save the oem tin. Good Luck. Ken
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
Nothing wrong with a Shovelhead. If it wasn't for the Shovel there wouldn't be a EVO. If your going to own a Shovel you need to know how to work on the engine. If you are a one bike person go with one of the Evo powered ones. $1500.00 isn't that much when you think about it. If your worried about paint, buy other tin and save the oem tin. Good Luck. Ken
Either you haven't read all the posts, or I'm reading something different. $1500 is that much with the holidays coming and closing on the house in 2 days.

And you are right, if wasn't for the Shovel there wouldn't be an Evo. You are contradicting yourself. "There's nothing wrong with a Shovel, but if you own one you need to know how to work on the engine". Huh? Maybe there's a reason the Shovel was replaced with the Evo. ( And yes, I would love to own a Shovel. But I still know the better and more reliable motor ).

"If you are worried about the paint, buy other tin and save the OEM tin". Again, more money. This was a recent topic. Ask Thermodyne about paint sets.

Again, unless I missed something, the CVO wasn't one of the three options. Someone else brought up the CVO. He just said he wouldn't want to molest one of the unusual paint jobs. Not sure paint was was an original concern. I agree and can't imagine trying to duplicate a Candy Tangerine FXR4. Or even thinking about painting or changing the tins.

~Pete
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
If you can afford it, I'd recommend the 94, then the 87, then the 82. This is mostly based on reading the motor guys' opinions over the years, especially Springer's.

joe
Thanks but I own a 83 FXRT Shovel.

My choice would be 82 then 94 ... the 87 is not even an option IMO.

And to those that think Shovels and FXR's don't mix, you must never have ridden one. The reality is the FXR was designed for the Shovel however the EVO came along shortly after.

The Shovel FXR's don't have the same tranny/clutch issues as the mid 80's EVO's do. The big problem with the tappered shaft is the clutch hub cracks. The Shovel doesn't use the same clutch hub.

As for get on and go, the 94 is the better of the choices. My FXRT Shovel has been a "Get on and go" bike for the last 5 years.

The specific 82 mentioned has its drawback based on the description and IMO it is more of a $4000 bike. The 94 at $6500 is probably a reasonable deal IMO.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post

And to those that think Shovels and FXR's don't mix, you must never have ridden one. The reality is the FXR was designed for the Shovel however the EVO came along shortly after.

The Shovel FXR's don't have the same tranny/clutch issues as the mid 80's EVO's do. The big problem with the tappered shaft is the clutch hub cracks. The Shovel doesn't use the same clutch hub.

As for get on and go, the 94 is the better of the choices. My FXRT Shovel has been a "Get on and go" bike for the last 5 years.

The specific 82 mentioned has its drawback based on the description and IMO it is more of a $4000 bike. The 94 at $6500 is probably a reasonable deal IMO.
Aw, what do you know? You ride a shovel.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Either you haven't read all the posts, or I'm reading something different. $1500 is that much with the holidays coming and closing on the house in 2 days.

And you are right, if wasn't for the Shovel there wouldn't be an Evo. You are contradicting yourself. "There's nothing wrong with a Shovel, but if you own one you need to know how to work on the engine". Huh? Maybe there's a reason the Shovel was replaced with the Evo. ( And yes, I would love to own a Shovel. But I still know the better and more reliable motor ).

"If you are worried about the paint, buy other tin and save the OEM tin". Again, more money. This was a recent topic. Ask Thermodyne about paint sets.

Again, unless I missed something, the CVO wasn't one of the three options. Someone else brought up the CVO. He just said he wouldn't want to molest one of the unusual paint jobs. Not sure paint was was an original concern. I agree and can't imagine trying to duplicate a Candy Tangerine FXR4. Or even thinking about painting or changing the tins.

~Pete
Little bit tender there. I'm not rich by no means. But on a bike deal $1500.00 bucks is nothing. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen. I'm new around here it seams most don't do there own work. I can lay down a three stage paint job. I'm not the fastest painter,but I get it done.
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
Little bit tender there. I'm not rich by no means. But on a bike deal $1500.00 bucks is nothing. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen. I'm new around here it seams most don't do there own work. I can lay down a three stage paint job. I'm not the fastest painter,but I get it done.
Maybe it's just me but $1500 is a lot of money when he says he's worrying about the holidays and is closing on a house. It's nice of everyone to tell him it's no big deal.

I also don't know were all this crap about a paint job is coming from. He never said any of the bikes needed paint.

OK, reread your post. Assumming he does need a paint job. You say it seems most don't do their own work. So if he was to buy the $6500 bike, which I think should be in pretty good shape for that price,(and he says it is), and it did need a new paint job, and he had to pay to have a "three stage paint job" done because unlike you he can't do it himself, how much would he have invested in the bike now?

I don't get the logic here. I payed $2500 for my bike. I could put another $4000 in it to make it really look nice.Then I would have a $6500 bike. Why would you pay $6500 for an FXR and then put $4000 (or whatever amount) more into it?

It would be nice to know how much money the forum members have invested in their bikes!

It's always easier to spend other peoples money.

~Pete
Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post

To me, the FXR is more of a "sport" or "sport-touring" bike than my Shovelhead FX, so I would prefer a quieter motor that responds better to performance mods. I've done similar mild cam, carb and pipes upgrades on most of my bikes and in my experience EVO just responded better.
I'm perfectly happy tooling along at 65mph on my Shovel, but seem to demand more out of the EVO or Twinkie motors. My Shovelhead just wouldn't survive the demand of running 600mi at 75-80mph
Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
To me, the FXR is more of a "sport" or "sport-touring" bike than my Shovelhead FX, so I would prefer a quieter motor that responds better to performance mods. I've done similar mild cam, carb and pipes upgrades on most of my bikes and in my experience EVO just responded better.
I'm perfectly happy tooling along at 65mph on my Shovel, but seem to demand more out of the EVO or Twinkie motors. My Shovelhead just wouldn't survive the demand of running 600mi at 75-80mph
Well said. As a Shovel owner you are still using your head instead of your heart. I know from being around Harleys for 40 years that owners of Shovels ( or Pans or Knucks ), think their bikes are the Holy Grail. I believe the statement, "the reality is the FXR was designed for the Shovel" is just plain silly! That was the only engine thay had! If you read any article or road test in "84 they'll tell you how much better the Evo is then the Shovel. It's such a no brainer I don't see why everyone is defending the Shovel!

My buddy redid his Shovel in 1995. He has not had a drip out of it, has done nothing to the engine except oil changes and tune-ups. He also has a '58, a '90 Classic and an '04 Road Glide. And he knows his Shovel is special because it's been so trouble free. But that is not the norm.

Again, it's all about what you want to do with the bike. Are you going to stay in town, ride cross country or what?

Like you, his bike is happy at 65mph. He's had it much faster but you know it's hurting.

Again, if everyone defending the Shovel answered the question, What is the better bike, the '82, '87, or '94... and not " which bike would you rather have?" we might get them to change their answers.

I still say the '94 is the better bike but I would rather have the '82

~Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement