EARLY 84 swing arm bushings : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

paulz84hd wants to know Dino or Syn?
EARLY 84 swing arm bushings

Hello all really hoping for some help here, I have an early 84 evo fxrt, now more like fxrs.Has the old shovelhead clutch.If anyone could help me with a more clear order of assembly for the old pivot shaft/cleveblock setup.Have what I believe is all new service parts but want to install in correct order,I cant even tell from the factory pict.s which way the cleveblocks are supposed to go in.Also trans is out as is most everything else.I am sorry if the info. is elsewhere on this site but for some reason when I hit the search button all I got was blank page.Thank you for your patience
paulz84hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
from outside in; nut ; washer; rubber mount ( isolator); nylon washer;
clevebloc aambly; tolerance ring; washer; plastic ring Assembly:

1)place new tolerance ring on clevebloc
press in place washer, plastic ring, and clevebloc in one side.

2)Clevebloc should be pressed in so stepped surface is flush with mounting surface

3) repeat other side , note: do not reuse tolarance ring, install new one

If you have any other questions I'll try to help.
FXRS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

swingarm cleveblocks

Thank you 84FXRS you just got my stalled project back on track.The reason I was so messed up with the whole thing was because I had [help] last time it was apart and I questioned some of the things that were put together in the swingarm assy.This time I had the book but it isnt real clear on that particular area.And not all the parts came out that you ae talking about.There was no tolerance ring but now I know what to get to complete that part of the bike.Also had the frame and swingarm painted after removing engine for front cyl. conn. rod knock. so any advise for putting eng.,trans and frame together without scratching,chipping paint?Ride safe and watch out for the caged idiots.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
wrap the frame in foam padding, or towels. get an extra pair of hands to help.
Also have heard a few times about laying motor on its side, then laying the frame on its side over it. bolt in place in that position, then raise assembled unit upright. Have service manual if you run into any questions as you move along, or parts book, not sure which book you have .. good luck. You may want to take some pics as you move along..
Everyone will be interested in how it goes along. And if ya get in a bind youll be all ready with pics to show whats happening.
FXRS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

swingarm cleveblocks

84fxrs, day after tomorrow I should have some capable help and I have cash to go pick up the missing spacers and dust covers for the inboard sides of the cleveblocks against the trans.I have everything else.Going to try a couple of pictures like you said,if these come up here on the site then probably mon. or tues I should be able to post a few pict.s of the whole swingarm assembly as it is being assembled.Maybe it would help some other person struggeling with this part of the m/c.I am going to try to post of the bike before I took it apart also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HARLEY1 001[1].JPG
Views:	36
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	75069   Click image for larger version

Name:	HARLEY1 004[1].JPG
Views:	36
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	75070   Click image for larger version

Name:	HARLEY1 003[1].JPG
Views:	40
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	75071   Click image for larger version

Name:	HARLEY1 002[1].JPG
Views:	40
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	75072   Click image for larger version

Name:	hd latest.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	75073  

Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Paul

The best thing you could do at this point to get everything to go together in the right order with the right parts is get a Harley Parts catalog. It shows blow ups of everything along with parts numbers. A lot of the parts are no longer available but just having the blow up will show you what goes where. It might be hard to find a hard copy of the Parts Catalog for your bike but you can get digital copies from different sources like Ebay. If your local dealer's service dept or parts dept has the catalog but won't let you have it they might let you make copies of the pages you need.

Good Luck
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If you don't have a parts book, try this:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Right on big Peet!
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Much thanks to Big Peet!!!!

Big Peet, you are the man that is the absolute best parts breakdown I have seen anywhere and I am sure I will need it for other misc. parts to reassemble the old girl. I lost my internet connection at the house but still have it here at work but as you see I am here on saturday but will post more pictures as I can. Just completed the top end last night so I owe every one those yet the motor lookin pretty good. But thanks again for the hook up.-----Paul-------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement