FXRT compatible shocks : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXRT compatible shocks

I need new shocks for my FXRS-FXRT conversion and want to go with the air shock to go with the rest of the FXRT parts (fairing, bags). It looks like lots of used bagger air shocks are available on ebay for a good price but if you search for FXR the price jumps. Does anyone know which of these 13 in. air shocks fit on an FXR frame?
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
My bud said the air shocks on my 84 FXRT were the same as on his 89 FLH. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't thinking about length, but don't know. Don't know if this helps any, but it's all I got.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Jbco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Touring air shocks 13" or 13.5" depending on preference set at 45psi will give a real nice ride on that scoot.

Joe
Jbco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbco2 View Post
Touring air shocks 13" or 13.5" depending on preference set at 45psi will give a real nice ride on that scoot.

Joe
Wow! Sounds a little stiff!

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Wow! Sounds a little stiff!

~Pete

The fender decal says 40 PSI max, for the '84 set-up (both shocks are air shocks). I run about 20 lbs.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Jbco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was doing my 2011 on the cheap before getting the parts I REALLY wanted...
The front suspension is ket stock, however I did swap out the fluid Maxima 15W oil went back in. The rear suspension is a 13" setup off of a 2012 Electra glide. It is air/oil and has the schrader valve hidden under the seat for adjustability..... after lots of experimenting in 2psi increments up to 58psi...I have it setup at 45psi and it rides and handles like a champ.
I weight 200lbs.

Joe
Jbco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am a little confused why sometimes the FXRT had 2 air shocks and sometimes only the right one was air. One person suggested that the left air shock interfered with the belt drive. Others say no. Just curious
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbco2 View Post

Joe
I guess it just depends on what year shocks you use. My '98 RK says 35psi max. My buddies '03 RK says 35psi max, but he put HD Low-Profile shocks on...they say 50psi.

Late model, possible '09 and up say 50psi. Go figure.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
I am a little confused why sometimes the FXRT had 2 air shocks and sometimes only the right one was air. One person suggested that the left air shock interfered with the belt drive. Others say no. Just curious
I've wondered that too. Maybe 2 different types cover for each other's weaknesses; kinda like my roscoe has 2 springs, one inside the other.

I have no problems between my belt and the left side air shock.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Dave_89FXRT wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a set of stock shocks for my 89. 1 Air shock one regular shock...

right air shock would be
150lb rider 0-5 psi

for each 25lbs add 5 psi

passenger weight for each 50lbs add 10 psi

luggage weight per 10lbs add 3 psi

MAX PSI 60.

right is the only air shock.

at any rate I would be willing to bet all FXRTs had that set up...I'm not positive though...but It's original for 89. oh they're 13 inch. I have 13 1/2 konis so it sits a tad higher when parked. but when i get on it, It levels out...I love the KONIS. Pretty sure I'm repeating myself with this post anyhow...the original factor is also cool...I don't know any other bike that has 1 air shock and 1 regular shock. hehe but they cost big dollars, not many RTs to being with. let alone stock shocks...big dollars =p
Dave_89FXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

00Buell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also have the same setup as Dave 89fxrt on my 86 fxrd. Bought it new so no modifications yet. Has anyone tried lowering this bike? Also would like to upgrade the brakes. I have been riding a Buell S3 for the last several years and it's handling and braking have me spoiled.
00Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

sliderfxrt wants to know Dino or Syn?
there is only 1 air shock on some fxrt models due to the year and frame design. on the 1986 model it came w 1 air shock and 1 regular . the air shocks back then were much fatter. additionally the introduction of the final belt drive is another consideration. prior to changing the frame to accomadate the thickness of the belt, a regular hydraulic shock was used on the left (or belt side). Hope this helps add to the confusion
sliderfxrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
so, do any of you who switched from conventional to air shocks prefer air?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

hogpipes wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 85 frxt rides like a dream compared to my 03 flhtc. they called it split fork suspenshion. i have a stock set of these with 8k mi's , keeping them for a spare set , probably never use them but if someone needs a set in exc-cond. they can pm me for pic's and will sell for $200- shipped.
hogpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement