How to set-up VOES on FXR : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
How to set-up VOES on FXR

I posted this in the fuel section with no love.

I put a Mikuni HSR-42 on my bike at the same time as the Dyna 2000 ICM and a Twin-Tec !! signle-fire coil. The bike would fire up for about a second (if that) and die no matter how much throttle I give her.

It might be VOES related as it may not be pulling fuel into the carb. The original set-up with the stock (pre-cv) carb was a vacumm line from the Voes, to a T-clamp that branched to the carb and the hypercharger A/C. the VOES nilet on the intake maknifold was blacked off. Should I be using this one now?

Now with a new A/C and carb. how do I need to set this up? I have it running from the VOES to the Carb and the "t" blocked off. Should I be using the intake manifold one now?Lost. Trying to figure out how to get the bike running. It's torn in parts right now, but I'd like to get it ready for when my exhaust gets here.

Thank you!

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Does the Dyna 2K even use VOES? All the VOES does is ground a wire connected to the original ign. unit so as to open or close the timing delay circuit.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Does the Dyna 2K even use VOES? All the VOES does is ground a wire connected to the original ign. unit so as to open or close the timing delay circuit.
The ground wire on my VOES came loose recently and caused problems. At higher rpm's and under load it was misfiring.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Voes is a timing advance, Basically there to give you better performance/mpg based on how you're riding at the time (under high/low vacuum).

With the dyna it's going to switch maps depending if the switch is flipped on or off, but it shouldn't keep you from running. Lot of guys don't even use the voes.

You do have me wondering if you have a vacuum petcock though. That would explain a lot if you don't have a vacuum line hooked up, wouldn't take long to empty the carb bowl, and with the vop cutting off the flow of fuel...

Also, a mikuni can in itself drive you nuts tuning, fwiw I'd put the original carb back on and try that setup first. That way you know whats up if it runs ok, then worry about getting the mikuni straightened out.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special

Last edited by Blackened; 11-20-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Unfortunately I sold my stock carb on Fleabay. Does anyone know how to set up the VOES lines on these bikes? I DO NOT have a vaccuum line on my petcock. Just a line that runs from the VOES sensor to the carb at this point. Any one for certain know if I need to run a line to the manifold too? Or buy a petcock that has a vacuum line?

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

You don't need a vacuum petcock, but having a "T" in the vacuum line makes me think you might have had one in the past.

You only need to run the vacuum from either the manifold or the back of the mikuni to the voes, one line, thats it. if you have a connection on the manifold you can cap it and run to the carb, or vice versa...or run the t and use both, but its unnecessary.

Like I said, its just a ign advance, so either way it should at least start.

hows the mikuni set up? what size jets? how many turns on a/f? Are you sure the right plunger/spring is in the enricher?

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special

Last edited by Blackened; 11-20-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

ON the initial set-up, one line went to the stock carb and the other to the hypercharger. I think one on the hyper charger made the dumbass fake butterfly valve things move. Is there any advantage to putting the hose on the intake over the carb? I want best throttle response and MPGs.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

I got the Mikuni "new" off fleabay, but it has been opened and all of that, just never installed. I don't know the specifics.

The bike will basically just fire up, then die no matter how much throttle or choke you give it. If you give it throttle BEFORE firing it up, it will "start" and run higher inthe rpms and last a nother 1.4 second. I am thinking maybe I'm not getting fuel quick enough to the bowl or something with the IDle settings.

I live in BFE and don't have a good shop to fix this for me. Have all winter to figure it out though.

The way it fires up for a secon (does NOT maintain RPM's) makes me think the ignition and single-fire coild are working properly.. No?

Thank yoU!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

No real difference. Same vac, different place to sample from. If you have a choice, I'd go from the intake. Makes it a little easier to get the carb off if you need to get into it. Personal preference tho, my softie samples from the carb for the vop, just easier to hook up since no nipple on my manifold. No voes on the Twinkie.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Alright, I'll give it a whirl. I have to wait a few weeks for my custom exhaust to come in now though.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what could be wrong with my bike's symptoms?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Get into the carb, check out your jets. You want to be in the neighborhood of:
50 acc pump nozzle
25 pilot
97 needle clip pos 3
160 main
1 to 1 1/2 turns depending on weather. Keep in mind miks are right=rich/left= lean. Bottom the a/f screw to the right and take it out 1 full turn to start. Then go from there.

That should run fairly well. Also if your choke has no noticeable difference when pulled, check your choke plunger and spring. People like to reuse the hd cable from the kehin cv, but try to use the spring/plunger too. Those have to be swapped also, or you'll have a permanent on enricher circuit.

one more thing, make sure the bowl vent cap is removed too, front of carb, facing down...looks like a vac fitting...

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special

Last edited by Blackened; 11-20-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

How do you know the size of the jets and such? Will they be labeled? I used the Mikuni chock assembly because the choke on my Pre-CV carb is way different than a CV's.

Not sure if I'm seeing this bowl vent... Don't see any fitting on anything though. I set up VOES to my intake. I will have to wait when some parts get in to test her out. I have a high flow fuel filter I put in there. One of those ebay ones with the gold looking filter. Not a cloth type but like a big sand grains in the shape of a filter. Are these restrictive at all?

Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Jets will all have numbers stamped into them. Bowl vent is on a/c side. Copper tube on left of venturi, pointing down. Vac fitting is on back of carb on manifold side, should be capped off if not in use. Copper tube also.

Don't know much about that filter, sorry bro

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Hmm, nothing is caped off except for the VOES now. Just ran one line from the VOES module to intake. Bike is doing the same thing again. Just fires "UP" but doesn't even think of maintaining idle or anything. Where would you look next? What keeps the bike idling? Any chance that my fuel flow is slow? Wonder if that fuel filter is restrictive or something.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Oh yeah, the bowl vent. I turned my gas on too and that thing started pissing fuel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement