Did the '84 FXRT come with a factory Stereo? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

rojoak wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did the '84 FXRT come with a factory Stereo?

I recently got an 84 FXRT, and it came with 2 fairings. One with stereo, one without. The radio and speaker holes in the one with the stereo appear to have been hand cut, so I do not believe it came from the factory that way. I have looked on the internet, and I find pictures of an '84 with stereo, but my HD parts manual for 84-86 FXR does not list any sound system parts until model year 86. Is the stereo in the attached picture the correct one for my 84?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0773.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	74864  
rojoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I believe so. There is a NOS stereo part #77015-83 for $999.00 on ebay right now.

It looks like the one in your attachment.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Got some information from the part number above, but need a bit more info. Were the original speakers for this 10 ohm? 8 ohm? 5.7 ohm? 4 ohm? 2ohm?. Any body know the part number of the speaker its self? I can find info and replacement speakers for 1986 and newer, but 1984 remains a mystery.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unless you are dead set on a " proper restoration" job, I don't think I'd put A grand into that stereo. You could certainly make a lot of other modern stereos, and speakers work for a lot less.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree, I am not going to put a grand in to that stereo. The AM / FM of mine works, as I have it hooked up on the bench with a set of 4 ohm speakers. It almost seems like I get too much volume too quickly, which leads me to believe they should be 5.7 ohm or higher. If I do not find the answer, I will likely get a set of something and hope it works. And if it does not, it will look good quietly, and I will have learned a lesson.(At least, I will know what not to do)
Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Ultra89Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoak View Post
I recently got an 84 FXRT, and it came with 2 fairings. One with stereo, one without. The radio and speaker holes in the one with the stereo appear to have been hand cut, so I do not believe it came from the factory that way. I have looked on the internet, and I find pictures of an '84 with stereo, but my HD parts manual for 84-86 FXR does not list any sound system parts until model year 86. Is the stereo in the attached picture the correct one for my 84?
The 1984 FXRT did not come with the Factory Installed Radio. There was a Dealer Accessory radio, made by Motorola, with the CB, under the Harley name plate. Harley also had a Radio caddy accessory for the Bat Wing models.
The first Factory Installed Radio was standard on the FXRD Grand Touring in 1986 and FXRT in the 1987 model year. The addition of the radio had a new fairing and the gages were moved to the Fairing.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 11-22-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Checked part books to be sure
Ultra89Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider View Post
The 1984 FXRT did not come with the Factory Installed Radio. There was a Dealer Accessory radio, made by Motorola, with the CB, under the Harley name plate. Harley also had a Radio caddy accessory for the Bat Wing models.
The first Factory Installed Radio was standard on the FXRD Grand Touring in 1986 and FXRT in the 1987 model year. The addition of the radio had a new fairing and the gages were moved to the Fairing.
I thought the 2nd generation fairing came out in '85. I bought a 1st generation fairing with a Moco AM/FM/Cassette, no CB.
joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I thought the 2nd generation fairing came out in '85. I bought a 1st generation fairing with a Moco AM/FM/Cassette, no CB.
joe
No, the First Generation Fairing (58200-83, Primed) was used on FXRT 1983 to 1985.
The Second Generation (58200-86A) came out for the FXRT and '86 FXRD in 1986 to house the
First year Factory Radio. The third Generation Fairing (58200-88) came out in 1988 when the
Factory radio changed again. Police bikes used the basic First generation Fairing for all years
produced, but modified to use the Spot Light Pods. I don't have the Police part catalog so I don't
have the part numbers for the Police Fairing.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 11-23-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
No, the First Generation Fairing (58200-83, Primed) was used on FXRT 1983 to 1985.
The Second Generation (58200-86A) came out for the FXRT and '86 FXRD in 1986 to house the
First year Factory Radio. The third Generation Fairing (58200-88) came out in 1988 when the
Factory radio changed again. Police bikes used the basic First generation Fairing for all years
produced, but modified to use the Spot Light Pods. I don't have the Police part catalog so I don't
have the part numbers for the Police Fairing.
I love filling in the corners. What's the difference between the 2nd and 3rd versions, other than the radio? This is the first I've heard there were 3, not 2. Do you have pictures?

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I love filling in the corners. What's the difference between the 2nd and 3rd versions, other than the radio? This is the first I've heard there were 3, not 2. Do you have pictures?

joe
The way the radio mounts. The first fairing used six holes to hold the plate with the two outer radio post holes and rubber weather boot.
The third version had the DIN opening. Speaker covers were changed from the standard round automotive cover to custom fitted Harley covers.
Also the vents and storage boxes with covers were now molded in the fairing. The vents had movable lovers. Lower Fairings were available for purchase.
The gages were moved from the top of the triple tree and now installed in the Fairing.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 11-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Owtlaw wants to know Dino or Syn?
I show 58694-91 for the cop fairing from the 93-94 Parts Manual. Must be some minor changes.
Owtlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
So what is the radio rojoak has...the same one on ebay...part # 77015-83? Last 2 digits, 83, means it was made in 1983. It is a Motorolo with Harley name plate but has no CB.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
So what is the radio rojoak has...the same one on ebay...part # 77015-83? Last 2 digits, 83, means it was made in 1983. It is a Motorola with Harley name plate but has no CB.

~Pete
Both were offered. One with the CB was just an accessory offered
and aimed at the Accessory Fairing Radio Caddy for FLT/FLHT models.
(There was one for the Tour Glide and one for Bat Wing Models)
And a radio kit without CB (77015-83) was specifically offered for the
FXRT using the older type fairing. Both had AM/FM and Cassette.
(MSRP was $409.95 for the kit)
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 11-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

The radio I have is he same as the one on e-bay. One of the pictures on ebay shows the Motorola model # HD7257, and that is the same as mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement