Questions About Lowering My FXR.... Yeah Yeah - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,697
BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Krowbars scooter has the same rear shocks as my 84 FXRS. But his forks are way long for an FXRS. In 84 FXRS's were also Low Riders. But just exactly what constituted a low Rider seemed to change from year to year.

According to the books I have all 84-86 FXRS scooters had the shorter 54502-84 shocks and 85-86 FXRP and T's had the long 54492-85 shocks. The 84 T's having air shocks. So any pictures of 84's with long spring shocks are to be examined with a grain of salt.


Maybe you're just confused...we aren't talking about an '84...His bike is an '85.

Both of my pictures were of a 1985 FXRS's. And I do understand the 1984 FXRS is lower.

~Pete

Last edited by BigPeet; 11-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
IronButt
 
ALAY191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NOMAD
Posts: 580
ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
I'm sure having a hard time convincing you! Instead of picking apart the posts, why don't you look at the pictures?

I'll try it again.

1. Do you think Krowbar's shocks are 1985 OEM?
2. Do you think my picture of the shocks on the red bike don't look like the the same length that is on the bike in the magazine article?
(Please don't tell me you need a ruler to measure them.)
3. So because your shocks on your '84 look like Krowbars you think yours are stock also?

Let me quote from the article I cited: " In 1984 the FXRS was reborn as the Low Glide. It lost a disc up front, and was shortened at both ends to haul the Tall Glide's saddle down to a profitable altitude. Fork tubes were cut two inches with no loss in front axle movement, and a pair of Showa shocks with shorter bodies were fitted to the swing arm". That's your 1984!

Now here is a quote in the same Sept '84 article. "The '85 Low Glide is an elegant fusion of old and new pieces: Now the 'pogo stick' bike comes with large-rotor triple discs and the long-travel suspension of the '82 Super Glide II mated to its Evolution engine, wet clutch and belt final drive.

I'd sure like your answer on the 3 questions before commenting on the rest of the post.

By the way the heading on the article is: "HARLEY-DAVIDSON LOW GLIDE FXRS".

~Pete
They are definitely not OEM

I really don't understand why this has to be so difficult ...
You have a motorcycle that is too tall and doesn't sit parallel to the ground.
12 in shocks to high? get 11.
forks too long? take them apart measure them. call Forking by Frank, tell him that you have a late model 35mm narrow glide and you want to buy a set of tubes that are X number of inches shorter. Re-assemble and go ride. Easy-peasy
__________________
AL
ALAY191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,697
BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You're right, at least partly. Krowbar is new to the FXR, and this being a place to learn, I think it's only fair for us to help him. You are right, 12" shocks too high? Put shorter ones on. That's what someone did before he bought the bike. So he thought his forks and shocks were factory. Is that fair to let him think that regardless of what mods he plans for his bike? That is how this got to were it is now.

I read this forum to learn. If you can't tell fact from opinion what good is that?

So if Thermodyne is telling him his shocks are OEM, should I accept that when I know different?

I got on this thread asking questions. I thought there would be someone that knew the answers. No one responded so I did the leg work to find the answers. And than I get shot down because my answers were thought to be wrong. I challange Thermodyne to show me a stock 1985 FXRS with shocks like Krowbars. My picture was from a 1984 magazine article about a brand new 1985 FXRS. Do you really think they would put longer shocks on a brand new bike for a road test?

The way I read the posts, how would krowbar know what size tubes too buy if he didn't know what was stock? Does Krowbar know about Forking by Frank?

I think we have too many members assuming the OP knows more about his bike than he does.

You are right again. It should be easy-peasy.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,697
BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Now that I think about it Al, Krowbars shocks are closer to the shocks on your bedliner bike than they are to a stock '85 FXRS. (upright, of course).

Please don't tell me your shocks are stock!

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt
 
ALAY191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NOMAD
Posts: 580
ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Now that I think about it Al, Krowbars shocks are closer to the shocks on your bedliner bike than they are to a stock '85 FXRS. (upright, of course).

Please don't tell me your shocks are stock!

~Pete
LOL
those shocks are far from stock, but they are very close to the dumpster ! I got my hands on a set 13.25in Works shocks.
Frank has been advertising his services in mc mags for 40 years, so I ASSumed everyone knew about his services ... my bad ...

I'm not a FXR guru, but I always thought that FXRS-SP . FXRT, FXRP anything with dual disc, had 2in longer forks and 13.5 in shocks vs 12.5 on FXR, FXRC, FXLR, etc
__________________
AL
ALAY191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 256
Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am over the issue with the front forks. They were about 27 1/4" and I wanted the SP look that came with the 25 1/4" forks. It dropped the bike considerably. The rear shocks look like many OEM Shocks I have seen, and from many resources 12.5" COULD have been the stock length.

Regardless I went with some cheap, 11.5" HEAVY DUTY (hoping less sag) progressive 412's.
__________________


1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.

Last edited by Krowbar; 11-15-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
IronButt
 
ALAY191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NOMAD
Posts: 580
ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
I haven't had an issue with the front forks. They were about 27 1/4" and I wanted the SP look that came with the 25 1/4" forks. It dropped the bike considerably. The rear shocks look like many OEM Shocks I have seen, and from many resources 12.5" COULD have been the stock length.

Regardless I went with some cheap, 11.5" HEAVY DUTY (hoping less sag) progressive 412's.
You claim to be fairly short, so I assume you're not very heavy either. Why would you go with heavy duty stiff springs instead of something correct for your height and weight? Softer spring might (static) sag a bit more , but would give you full travel and would be more comfy that than stiff springs and reduced travel .
Would you put semi truck springs on a Jeep?
__________________
AL
ALAY191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 256
Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
You claim to be fairly short, so I assume you're not very heavy either. Why would you go with heavy duty stiff springs instead of something correct for your height and weight? Softer spring might (static) sag a bit more , but would give you full travel and would be more comfy that than stiff springs and reduced travel .
Would you put semi truck springs on a Jeep?
Honestly I was torn between the heavy duty and standard. I like a stiff bike though, and I do ride hard. Yes I am a midget (not legally) and only weigh 145 or so. I don't want the bike to sag too much if at all and the HD ones made more sense to me. I put an extra half ounce of fork fluid in the front because I like stiff forks. I do like wheelies! haha
__________________


1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt
 
yogin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: california
Posts: 215
yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your forks are still too long. Stock should be 23 inch forks and 12.5" shocks. If you want to lower the shocks farther than that then you really should lower the forks first. Your feet will reach the ground, the bike will be level and it will handle better.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,697
BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
Your forks are still too long. Stock should be 23 inch forks and 12.5" shocks. If you want to lower the shocks farther than that then you really should lower the forks first. Your feet will reach the ground, the bike will be level and it will handle better.
They aren't if he wants stock 1985 FXRS fork length.
They are if he had a basic FXR.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt
 
ALAY191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NOMAD
Posts: 580
ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
Honestly I was torn between the heavy duty and standard. I like a stiff bike though, and I do ride hard. Yes I am a midget (not legally) and only weigh 145 or so. I don't want the bike to sag too much if at all and the HD ones made more sense to me. I put an extra half ounce of fork fluid in the front because I like stiff forks. I do like wheelies! haha
IMO, you went about it all wrong. Many harley riders assume that stiff shocks and springs equal "good ride". 1/2 oz of oil doesn't make much of a difference if it is flowing thru stock h-d dampers. What you created is a borderline rigid.

If you or anyone else want a truly good handling motorcycle you need to call experts.
I've always got great responses from tech guys at RaceTech and Works Performance, but a lot of folks swear by Traction Dynamics and Thermosman Suspensions.
Just my 2 shekels worth ...
__________________
AL
ALAY191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #42 (permalink)
Motorhead
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 5,158
Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
[/B][/SIZE]

Maybe you're just confused...we aren't talking about an '84...His bike is an '85.

Both of my pictures were of a 1985 FXRS's. And I do understand the 1984 FXRS is lower.

~Pete
Confusion is a way of life for me. Works well, most of the time.

But still if it came with 13 inch shocks, it was a T, or a P. There were only two PN's of shocks for 84. Short and air. Two PN's for 85-86 short and long. The in 87 there were two new part numbers. 54506-87 which is the very long shock most often see om the -c scooters and 54502-87 which was the shorter shock, lengthened a little to use the forward mount. So early short shocks were 11.5 and late short shocks were 11. Same deal with the long shocks 13 and 13.5 or an extra 2 inches just like the forks.

Now I realize that a lot of you are thinking "what about the 10 or 10.5 shocks on your scooter". They are aftermarket or Sportster shocks. Now just to confuse things, dealers often modified scooters back then. And the factory often made undocumented changes to production.

I have seen tall FXR's that the alleged original owners swore came without bags. So who knows. IMHO the tall scooters are the scooter to have if you like pushing your luck in the turns. But they will always look funky sitting still. Sort of butt sprung.
__________________

Last edited by Thermodyne; 11-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,697
BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Confusion is a way of life for me. Works well, most of the time.

But still if it came with 13 inch shocks, it was a T, or a P. There were only two PN's of shocks for 84. Short and air. Two PN's for 85-86 short and long. The in 87 there were two new part numbers. 54506-87 which is the very long shock most often see om the -c scooters and 54502-87 which was the shorter shock, lengthened a little to use the forward mount. So early short shocks were 11.5 and late short shocks were 11. Same deal with the long shocks 13 and 13.5 or an extra 2 inches just like the forks.

Now I realize that a lot of you are thinking "what about the 10 or 10.5 shocks on your scooter". They are aftermarket or Sportster shocks. Now just to confuse things, dealers often modified scooters back then. And the factory often made undocumented changes to production.

I have seen tall FXR's that the alleged original owners swore came without bags. So who knows. IMHO the tall scooters are the scooter to have if you like pushing your luck in the turns. But they will always look funky sitting still. Sort of butt sprung.
You still have not answered the questions. Let me make this as simple as I can. I posted a picture of a red 1985 FXRS. You said the shocks were too tall, you could almost see the tread.

I posted another picture from a magazine article. You made no comment on it. My question is this: Does the bike in the magazine article look as tall with the same size shocks as the red bike?

And yes I believe there are tall bikes that came without bags!

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
Motorhead
 
Thermodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 5,158
Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
You still have not answered the questions. Let me make this as simple as I can. I posted a picture of a red 1985 FXRS. You said the shocks were too tall, you could almost see the tread.

I posted another picture from a magazine article. You made no comment on it. My question is this: Does the bike in the magazine article look as tall with the same size shocks as the red bike?

And yes I believe there are tall bikes that came without bags!

~Pete
The red scooter looks a little taller. But without a ruler or directly comparable pictures, I can't say for sure. To me, it looks like I could see daylight looking through right under the turn signal on the red one. If that is the case, then it has the wrong shocks.

Another way of checking them is that the back of the fender should be 1/2 way up the shock. The red one looks higher, but then it could just be an illusion from the angle of the shot. Basically, the red scooter is showing a lot of inner fender, even from a high angle shot. Were I standing there looking at it, I would be wanting to put the tape measure on it. We're only talking about 1/2 an inch.

As for your mag article, it looks good for an 85. Primary does appear to be 85. The tire meets the fender a couple of inches behind the turn signal and the fender drops to the center of the shock in the rear. Not sure about the article, they seem to be talking about an 84 at first. They mention the new engine?
__________________
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 256
Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
Your forks are still too long. Stock should be 23 inch forks and 12.5" shocks. If you want to lower the shocks farther than that then you really should lower the forks first. Your feet will reach the ground, the bike will be level and it will handle better.
You're wrong. Both 23" and 25" front forks are OEM on FXRs. A lot of people said the 25" forks handled better, but people were into the "low" look so that's why they put 23" fork tubes on certain models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
IMO, you went about it all wrong. Many harley riders assume that stiff shocks and springs equal "good ride". 1/2 oz of oil doesn't make much of a difference if it is flowing thru stock h-d dampers. What you created is a borderline rigid.

If you or anyone else want a truly good handling motorcycle you need to call experts.
I've always got great responses from tech guys at RaceTech and Works Performance, but a lot of folks swear by Traction Dynamics and Thermosman Suspensions.
Just my 2 shekels worth ...
I think I went about it all right. Have you ever rode on HD shocks? I have and it's not as 'rigid" as you think. it makes the bike feel more grounded in my opinion. I'm young and have a strong back. I sold a GSXR-750 to get into Harleys. If I was bent on handling, I would buy another one of those. I am cruising and am going for looks honestly with the occasional show-off wheelie! haha

1/2 of fork oil really did make a difference. Rode it both way. i really determined what I like by braking hard on the front. Too much dive with only 7 OZs.

My shocks on my bike measure 12" with no load. The look identical to progressives chrome 412's without the progressive sticker.

My bike didn't drag anything on either side with the 27" front forks and 12" rear shocks. The kickstand has been heated and bent though. I leaned the bike further than i thought was safe too. I used to be pretty damn good on a Gixxer so I understand how to lean a bike over in the corners. I have owered the bike about a half inch now. So we will see what drags when I get the bike running. haha
__________________


1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum