seat and exhaust : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

blubyubusa wants to know Dino or Syn?
seat and exhaust

I have a 99 FXR and want to put a good two into one exhaust and a more comfortable seat on it. Does anyone have recommendations? I have done a couple of searches and am finding that FXR stuff tends to be more model specific and somewhat difficult to find. As far a exhaust, chrome and performance are the objectives and with the seat, comfort. This bike still has the original seat and it is not too comfortable. Any advice appreciated, thanks and best to everyone.
blubyubusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Seat, exhaust, and handlebars. Been discussed on here many, many times. Everyone is different. Ask ten different people, you'll get ten different answers.

Do a search on this forum...you'll see what I mean.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you're interested, I have a Mustang seat for sale and it's comfy. Just a bit too tall for me and I'm not looking for comfort necessarily. Pretty good condition. It's on my 85 FXR in my sig pic to the far right. I have more pics. It has the old side-latch set-up still, but can easily be converted to the newer style.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

If price is not any concern, there's a guy I know down in CA who makes a BAD ASS 2 into 1 called the Lighting Header. He hates the look and performance of thunderheaders and he does awesome work. He built my bars for me too. The exhaust ain't cheap, but he build brackets and all of that. $1200 for his set, but it's shorter than thunderheaders. Let me know if that's something you're interested in too.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

romannumal wants to know Dino or Syn?
pipe

Try these guys build nice pipe that is designed to run. i have been looking to replace my thuderheader and this looks like a nice set up.
For the price you can't beat it.

http://holeshotchoppers.com/pipes/photos/
romannumal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
For seats I have a Corbin Gunfighter. Corbin seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" things among riders but I love mine. If you want a two-up, Corbin makes that, too. I've heard that Mustang is also a nice aftermarket seat for FXR's. Hard to find but another good seat is the factory HD seat from a FXR3 or 4. I still have a FXR3 seat for the occasional two-up situation or when I want a flat surface on which to strap luggage behind me.

For exhaust, I have a Supertrapp Supermeg that was intended for a Dyna-Softail but it fits just fine with a self-made simple bracket. Supertrapp still makes a FXR-specific Supermeg but you have to call them and ask, and that particular model doesn't come with heat shields.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FXR22012.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	74728  
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

blubyubusa wants to know Dino or Syn?
seat and exhaust

Thanks for replies and I do like the looks of the holeshot Bub pipe. I will call them. As for the seat, some more pictures would be appreciated. A PM is ok or if alright with you I will send you a PM with my email address. BTW I did try a search and the first ten to fifteen responses for the seat search were about touring bikes. So I thought I would post the question on the FXR specific forum. Additionally, Having a 99 the hinge mount seat will not work and you said that it is easy to convert it, is all you do remove the hinge, and mount the front tab and rear mounting tab for the screw. I believe that would require removing the seat cover, is that right. Best to everyone.
blubyubusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cavemanmikee wants to know Dino or Syn?
HANDS DOWN THUNDERHEADER!!! Thunderheaders are majical for evo's trust me... i've ridden hundreds of evo's as a mechanic. your carb needs to be adressed also, get an S&S or Mikuni, as for the seat, corbin's offer the toughest quality-- get vinyl not leather, the bigger uglier seats will be more comfortable on long trips get 2 seats one for around town looks and one for the long haul put some ohlins shocks on that thing also You only live once
cavemanmikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanmikee View Post
HANDS DOWN THUNDERHEADER!!! Thunderheaders are majical for evo's trust me... i've ridden hundreds of evo's as a mechanic. your carb needs to be adressed also, get an S&S or Mikuni, as for the seat, corbin's offer the toughest quality-- get vinyl not leather, the bigger uglier seats will be more comfortable on long trips get 2 seats one for around town looks and one for the long haul put some ohlins shocks on that thing also You only live once
Trust him. Or the 4 before him. Or the 4 after him. Like I said, it's very subjective...one size does not fit all. It's an Evo...the same engine is on many different Harley's. And everyone has a different opinion on what looks best and sounds best. Performance difference will probably be minimal...looks and sound will probably prevail. Cavemanmikee put Thunderheaders in capitals with 3 explanation points. What do you think his favorite is? The other 3 guys recommend something different. You'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

Same with seats. Look on the "Let's see everyone's FXR". Look at all the different seats. If one seat is superior to all others than why doesn't everyone have the same seat? Probably because some guys like form over function, and some like funtion over form. Everyone's ass is not the same. Mine is the size of a turkey platter, so I want a seat the size of a turkey platter.

You need to find a bike to sit on and one to see and hear before you pick a seat or exhaust. Everything you read on here is just opinions.

~Pete

You can trust cavemanmikee on the seat issue though. The big ugly seats are going to be more comfortable... the swoopy little cool looking seats are for bar-hopping only.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

I am getting a LIghtingheader from Steve's precision Fabrication in California. Check out there website and send them an email. YEs their exhaust is $1200, but it looks, sounds, and performs better than that Asian p[piece of crap Thunder header.

stevesprecisionfab.blogspot.com/ Ask for Eric Hansen. MEAN 2 into 1.

Are you interested in the seat? I will send you a link to my ebay auction where it did not sell. Make me an offer on the seat. Yes the hinge comes right off and you can buy the regular style in a kit for like $10 on Fleabay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251177043949...84.m1562.l2649

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
I am getting a LIghtingheader from Steve's precision Fabrication in California. Check out there website and send them an email. YEs their exhaust is $1200, but it looks, sounds, and performs better than that Asian p[piece of crap Thunder header.

stevesprecisionfab.blogspot.com/ Ask for Eric Hansen. MEAN 2 into 1.

Are you interested in the seat? I will send you a link to my ebay auction where it did not sell. Make me an offer on the seat. Yes the hinge comes right off and you can buy the regular style in a kit for like $10 on Fleabay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251177043949...84.m1562.l2649
Not sure it's an "Asian piece of crap" though. I Think it's Made in the USA.

~Pete
Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
In disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
... the swoopy little cool looking seats are for bar-hopping only.
In most cases I'd agree but it's worth pointing out a couple of things. I'd say that if the seat is super thin, like a HD Badlander for instance, then yes, it's just not going to work for any distance at all. But my Corbin Gunfighter isn't very thick but it's plenty comfortable for hundreds of miles thanks to the construction and shape. I also mentioned having a HD factory FXR3 seat for some occasions. It isn't a thick design either, but I rode one over 2300 miles in a week and was never uncomfortable. When the factory foam in mine finally collapsed, I had it replaced at Mean City Cycles (Google them) with hospital grade memory foam. It looks just the same but is once again comfortable for long rides.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

I was thinking more like the Bare Bones and the like. I think you are only bolstering my point. All these seats work for you. But that doesn't mean they will work for everybody. I've done over 1000 miles in a day and there is no seat that I could seat on that long comfortably. I'm good for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours before I have to stop. Everyone I ride with is about the same. And that's on touring bikes with big comfy seats. If you could ride 2300 miles on a seat and never feel uncomfortable, why did you have it redone with memory foam? If I had a seat that comfortable I'd want to keep it stock!

I'll still say I would never buy a seat or exhaust just by the recomendation of someone on a forum. Like my first post said, ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. The way it's going it won't be long until we get the 10 different answers.

~Pete

Last edited by BigPeet; 11-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
In disguise

Peet--we're saying mostly the same things. To clarify, I did the 2300 miles on a friends' seat that was identical to mine (FXR3 seat). His had not seen the miles that mine had at the time. On mine, the foam just sort of finally collapsed after some years, or so it seemed, so I had it re-stuffed with memory foam and it's all good again. Anything can wear out.

Having a 4.2 gallon tank, I'll be stopping for gas every 3+ hours tops. But frankly, I'm probably going to want to stop more often just to take in the scenery. My point is that when I first got the bike it had a HD Badlander on it. Looks good--feels bad. I quickly found that I couldn't go more than 50 miles on that thing and rest stops didn't help. It was truly only for barhopping.

And I would agree that in the end, seats (like pipes and bars) are a personal preference thing. Not telling anyone else what to buy--just what I've found works for me.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought a leather/gel seat from Jireh Cycle ...... a cheap seat, shipped to Canada with all the import duties, etc. .. $130.-
Looks good, and nice for long trips ...... it looks like a Corbin Gunfighter.
Like FXR2 said ..... 'Corbin, you either love 'em or hate 'em' ....... I would rather sit on a 2x6 than a Corbin. I have a Corbin for sale ......
Greg
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement