Can I Get a Pic of Someone's Mid Controls on Their FXR? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can I Get a Pic of Someone's Mid Controls on Their FXR?

I got a used mid control set off fleabay and am getting them powder coated today.

Anyways, I need a picture of the left side linkage between the shaft that goes through the primary and its little arm thing, and how it connects to the actual tranny shaft that changes gears. I have forwards on it now, so obviously it has a long-ass rod, and the primary shaft/arm isn't utilized.

I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thank you

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Found a pic, where can I find the rod and locking nuts for the mid control set-up?

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

I have a set of forwards for my FXR and am willing to trade for some mids. My friend want's mids too, but his forwards are junk and rusty, my bike's are not.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
Found a pic, where can I find the rod and locking nuts for the mid control set-up?
Harley part #33728-82A. J&P cycle, BKRider, Mid-USA, and I'm sure many others have it.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

1970pelle wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought mine from Jireh Cycle. And its a very nice piece. Chrome finish,nice tight ends. Comes complete with all the hardware. There part # 10-1 and there price is $10.95. Looking at your bikes you would have no issues installing this part on your bike. Ken
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

You guys are awesome. I even talked to a JPcycles rep and he said he didn't know. Thanks gents. Do you guys also know where I can find all the required hardware for a mid-control set up? Mine didn't come with any.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can always find that stuff on ebay. Just search for FXR mid controls. I applaud your choice of switching from forwards to mids. I recently did the same and very glad that I did. With mids you can hug the bike with your knees and use more of your lower body to steer. With forwards you use more handlebar action for steering and it is not as tight and nimble. I would keep forward footpegs though, to stretch your legs out on the highway. At first I tried the opposite with mid pegs and the forward controls but you quickly realize that the time that you want to shift is when your feet are on the mids.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
You can always find that stuff on ebay. Just search for FXR mid controls. I applaud your choice of switching from forwards to mids. I recently did the same and very glad that I did. With mids you can hug the bike with your knees and use more of your lower body to steer. With forwards you use more handlebar action for steering and it is not as tight and nimble. I would keep forward footpegs though, to stretch your legs out on the highway. At first I tried the opposite with mid pegs and the forward controls but you quickly realize that the time that you want to shift is when your feet are on the mids.
I agree with you. Your control and balance are better with mids. I'm too tall and my knees are too bad to do that though.

I have forward pegs. I heel shift and have a home made forward brake. My mids have been moved 3-4 inches forward, and about the same down. I can still only use them for a change-up though.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm too tall and my knees are too bad to do that though.

joe

I don't agree with you. I'm a big guy, my knees are up at the top of the tank with mids. But I still prefer them for control, and drive em with my legs. On a long straight run I can use the highway pegs if I feel the need to stretch out. But I don't really do it that often, no need.

I really have no complaints with mids. With forwards I have several. My main complaint with forwards is those times when you need to get your butt off the seat. Repair cuts, lousy railroad crossing and such. You can't just stand up. All you can do is yank on the bars and lever your fanny off the seat. The second big complaint is slow speed maneuvering and counter balancing. With mids I can put my weight on the pegs and counter balance to scooter with my upper body leaving my arms free to steer. Keeping the scooter balanced is almost as easy as walking. With forwards you lean in and then as much as anything, power that scooter back up. Counter leaning don't work so good at low speed. That why you see the big apes on the precision baggers, so they have some leverage to yank the scooter back over.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

brassman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with mids , it was the first thing I changed out and I am 6'3
brassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
I don't agree with you. I'm a big guy, my knees are up at the top of the tank with mids. But I still prefer them for control, and drive em with my legs. On a long straight run I can use the highway pegs if I feel the need to stretch out. But I don't really do it that often, no need.

I really have no complaints with mids. With forwards I have several. My main complaint with forwards is those times when you need to get your butt off the seat. Repair cuts, lousy railroad crossing and such. You can't just stand up. All you can do is yank on the bars and lever your fanny off the seat. The second big complaint is slow speed maneuvering and counter balancing. With mids I can put my weight on the pegs and counter balance to scooter with my upper body leaving my arms free to steer. Keeping the scooter balanced is almost as easy as walking. With forwards you lean in and then as much as anything, power that scooter back up. Counter leaning don't work so good at low speed. That why you see the big apes on the precision baggers, so they have some leverage to yank the scooter back over.
As I said, I agree, theoretically. The problems with my knees, their inability to be bent very far or for very long is not a theory. I'm feet forward out of necessity; I'm too big a wuss to take the pain.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

I have a highway peg set-up too. Got them powder coated and all of that. I am a short MF'er so mids are a good set-up for me.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
I have a highway peg set-up too. Got them powder coated and all of that. I am a short MF'er so mids are a good set-up for me.
Short? Really? Then I have a custom FXR seat with your name on it.

Last edited by Thermodyne; 11-13-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post

I'm with Joe. I'm just too big to use mids comfortably. I've kept the mid pegs in case I need a change, but it only lasts a short time before I'm uncomfortable.

I can certainly understand your point about potholes and railroad tracks, but haven't had much of a problem with balance. But than again I've never entered a slow race.

I'm not sure what a precision bagger is, but my guess is they have the big apes because they think they look cool, although most will say they have them because they think they're more comfortable.

I've had a dresser for 14 years and never needed more leverage by way of handlebars.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.