1993 FXR Horn Replacement : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Odessachip wants to know Dino or Syn?
1993 FXR Horn Replacement

Can anybody tell me where it is and how do i replace a horn on a 1993 FXR?
Odessachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

hondo2doc wants to know Dino or Syn?
It is located under rear fender right behind battery. I have been told if you take lose rear shocks to lower rear wheel you can access the horn. I do have '93 FXR but I have not replaced the horn myself. There are far more FXR educated folks on here than me that would know much more.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App
hondo2doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

BIGBOPPA wants to know Dino or Syn?
The horn is actually located UNDER the battery box, between the battery and the swingarm. From memory, it requires removal of the battery to replace it, so you can hold both ends of the nut and bolt. It should be able to be reached without removing the wheel, although there is not a lot of room in there. Hope this helps.

PLEASE,DO NOT MAKE ME HAVE TO USE MY UNDERTAKERS VOICE!!!

1986 FXRS
80" EVO

Last edited by BIGBOPPA; 11-08-2012 at 06:53 AM.
BIGBOPPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bike needs to be on a jack. Remove lower shock bolts and let the rear wheel lower. Horn is under battery box like others have said. Remove it from the left side of the bike (primary side). It will have to be squeezed between the frame and the lower part of the fender which is plastic. It's a tight spot but it can be done. I've done it.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Me, I found that I didn't need to remove the shock bolts or use a jack. I went in from the right side.

Remove the right side cover and remove the rear master cylinder resovoir mount screws, but not the hydraulic hose. Just let resovoir droop out of the way.

Remove the battery--there is an access hole in the battery tray for the horn attachment bolt. Remove the bolt with a socket and extension bar. This allows the horn to fall on top of the swingarm, still connected to the wires.

Now that the horn is loose on top of the swingarm, use your fingers, needlenose pliers, whatever to fish the horn over to the right side. Use the opening you created by loose-removing the resovoir. Hold on while you unplug the wires and remove the flat bar horn bracket from the horn body. It won't fit through the opening with the bracket still attached. You have to orient the horn just right but it can be squeezed out. Be patient--it really will fit if you turn it just so. It must be turned upside down with the stud (mounted in the horn) turned down. It will then clear the frame. Leave the flat bar attachment bracket in there, or remember to re-insert it first before the new horn. You'll have to re-assemble the bracket onto the new horn when the horn is in the space under the battery.

Make a note of this orientation and use the same one when inserting the new horn in there. It will require scraping it against the plastic fender extension to the point of flexing that plastic some, but it can be done. Then fish it over to re-connect the wires, re-attach the horn bracket, and re-attach the mounting bolt through the battery box. You'll need something like a magnetic probe to start the nut. Think surgery.

Tip--when you re-attach the horn, use a plastic/nylon or rubber washer between the horn bracket and the mount under the battery box. Without a cushioning washer, if it gets too tight, it won't work, and there's not much leeway between "so loose that it won't stay attached' and 'too tight to allow proper vibration so the horn still works'. I used a nylon washer, tightened the bolt and the horn works fine all the time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by FXR2; 11-08-2012 at 08:59 AM.
FXR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Once you have the horn in your hand, look on the top of it, and you will see a piece of tape. It will be black, and not be very noticeable. It covers a small hole that you can spray WD40 into. Sometimes that lube will revive an ailing horn. Test your horn on the bench. Also if the hanger bolts under the battery are tightened too much, it will change the tone of your horn. I've only seen the lube hole on some OEM horns.
Quirk of the FXR's ...... horn facing backward !
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

juiced03 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Last but not least. If you are using OEM horn do yourself a favor and replace the crap factory bracket with something more stout so it wont snap and drop down against the drive belt like mine did.
juiced03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced03 View Post
Last but not least. If you are using OEM horn do yourself a favor and replace the crap factory bracket with something more stout so it wont snap and drop down against the drive belt like mine did.
Anyone have suggestions for a good loud non OEM horn that will fit into where the stock horn is on an fxr? And if not where the stock horn is, perhaps mounted on another part of the fxr?
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Lakerat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Michael Psycle+1 If they can't hear my pipes, they damn sure ain't gonna hear that sillyass OEM horn mounted in a cave. Just as soon take the time for the evasive maneuver as opposed to looking for that button. Grouchy morning I guess.....

92 FXLR
97 Ultra (RIP)
98 95th Anniversary Ultra
PGR

Last edited by Lakerat; 11-08-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Lakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
Anyone have suggestions for a good loud non OEM horn that will fit into where the stock horn is on an fxr? And if not where the stock horn is, perhaps mounted on another part of the fxr?
I've yet to see a horn on a FXR in a different location that wasn't butt ugly and obtrusive. I guess you could always try one of those reproduction horns off a knuckle up front on the frame just under the neck? I just don't know what they sound like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3600010_A.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	74709  

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I was trying to replace one on a 92. I had it on the jack and I had dropped the shock. I was still having a hard time getting to it. But then I have huge hands and forearms. My neighbor reaches right in and has no issues swapping it out. Thin guy with small hands. Turns out the aftermarket horn is DOA. So I put the scooter back together and order another one. When it comes in I arrange for him to come over and help. I jack it up and he reaches right in without dropping the wheel. So how you do it depends on who how you're built.

Ya and I know I should have checked it before we put it in
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch58 View Post
I've yet to see a horn on a FXR in a different location that wasn't butt ugly and obtrusive. I guess you could always try one of those reproduction horns off a knuckle up front on the frame just under the neck? I just don't know what they sound like.
Butt ugly and obtrusive is the problem. I've seen some small air horns but I've also read where guys have said they don't last long, the motorcycle vibrations kill them.

Anyway, it's been a lot of years since I've had a horn that even I can hear so I'm not expecting to find much. Just hoping.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Now I remember it was the Stebel air horn that was recommended. It's not big and comes in black and I thought it could be attached to the frame in front of the engine. But then I read mixed comments on how long it lasts.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

BIGBOPPA wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a good quality 12 volt truck horn mounted inside my chin fairing. It cant be seen but can sure be heard! I realize most bikes dont have a chin fairing like mine, but, the point I am making is that there are other places to put one if you use a bit of ingenuity.

PLEASE,DO NOT MAKE ME HAVE TO USE MY UNDERTAKERS VOICE!!!

1986 FXRS
80" EVO
BIGBOPPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
Now I remember it was the Stebel air horn that was recommended. It's not big and comes in black and I thought it could be attached to the frame in front of the engine. But then I read mixed comments on how long it lasts.
Mike, I had a car horn for a while, bolted on the front, between the downtubes, where the top of the crashbar would attach. Amazon has several that claim to be the loudest.

I've had a Mini Beast air horn for years. It survived 'The Crash' and still works fine. It's clamped to the left downtube. I wish it had a deeper tone, but that's the price you pay for small. It gets people's attention.

Here's a crappy picture, maybe it'll give you some idea. The housing holds the horn and compressor. It's designed to hang between the cylinders, but I didn't want to move the coil.

joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	74710  
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement