1983 FXRT kickstand question : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

oldiron47 wants to know Dino or Syn?
1983 FXRT kickstand question

Just recently bought a 1983 FXRT and I am going through it to make it road worthy by fixing some minor problems. One thing I am having a problem with is the kickstand, it hangs loose and wobbles when in the up position. It is not a spring issue, it appears to be worn where the pin moves in frame. Does the motor need to be raised up from the frame to get to the cotter key in order to release the kickstand for a better look? Any information I can get is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone 103.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	74662   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone 101.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	74663  
oldiron47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Release the front motor mount and raise the engine slightly so upper adjusting screw is accessible. Do not loosen front stabilizer link.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Krowbar, I'll loosen the front mount. It doesn't look like I have an adjusting screw but it should give me access to the cotter key. Nice looking bikes!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well I was not able to get the to the cotter key by raising the front of the engine. Looks like I will need to remove the inner primary to access it. I will also either have to put a bushing on the pin or weld the elongated hole where the top of the pin has worn out the metal. Has anyone else ran into this problem?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
What I posted was directly out of the service manual. I haven't had to replace mine, just heat it up and bend it... haha

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Lots of people have run into that. It's a weak point on FXR's.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well I was finally able to remove the cotter pin by loosening the front motor mount, jacking up the engine and using a cotter pin removal tool purchased from Sears. The service manager at my local Harley dealership told me about the cotter pin removal tool; he was around when the 1983 FXRT was new and told me that is what they used. It turns out there were 4 issues with my kick stand, the spring was worn, the tab on the original kick stand that the spring attaches to was bent, the pin was worn and the welded bracket the pin turns in was also worn. So a new spring, a replacement $10.00 swap meet kick stand which had only a slight amount of wear, and a bushing made from some old stainless steel pipe I had lying around I am back in business. When the vendor at the swap meet told me he wanted ten bucks for the kick stand I nearly ripped my pocket pulling my wallet out. After I handed him the money he wanted to know what bike it fit. Once in a while you get lucky. Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good you got it fixed. I know it takes more time, but it's good on these forums if you can take pictures of the process when fixing issues like this for others to possibly learn from.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy that bike of yours.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Pictures

I like pictures too Gretsch58. I am not an artist by any stretch of the word but between the photograph and my sketch hopefully what I said in my previous post will make sense.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	key puller.gif
Views:	68
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	75455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch 003.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	75458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 14 011.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	75459  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiron47 View Post
I like pictures too Gretsch58. I am not an artist by any stretch of the word but between the photograph and my sketch hopefully what I said in my previous post will make sense.
Hey thanks, it's always good to have info here to help others.

Cheers!
Bob

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

creepyben71 wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXR kickstand

HI, I've run into this problem many times at my shop. You have to first remove the outer and inner primary to be able to see whats really going on. With that out of the way ,your kickstand bracket on the frame my be worn out or broken. Now comes the fun part you can sometimes just weld up the worn part and file it down.Or you can just replace the frame bracket.I have gotten one from Paughco before.Its a total pain to properly fix this problem.To replace the bracket the motor has to be removed. Then make sure all of the associated parts are in good shape ,and re assemble. Without a doubt the FXR kickstand sucks at best. It will work ok as long as all of the parts are in good shape (not worn) and assembled correctly.Good luck with it.
creepyben71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Here is my 83 FXRT I bought last fall after a winter tear down and refurbishment.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Pictures

Hate when that happens, I hit send before attaching the pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	83 008.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	85562   Click image for larger version

Name:	83 009.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	85570   Click image for larger version

Name:	83 007.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	85578  
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
gorgeous....nothing better looking than a shovelhead
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

PastorBug wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice FXRT. What a great find. What are your plans for her?

Pastor Bug
1993 FXRS
Christian Crusaders
Motorcycle Ministry
PastorBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.