My new swingarm - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

V-STRUM wants to know Dino or Syn?
I Like! I was thinking of adding a swingarm like this (JCM) I like the looks, the stocker always seemed a little under built to me. Let us know how the bike rides with the new arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
FNG :)

FXRCLC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks pretty cool ! I'm interested in seeing a pic of it on the bike, and hearing about the handling differences, if any...
...very interesting.
FXRCLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Dave_89FXRT wants to know Dino or Syn?
I want that swing arm, I really do...but the Amurrican dollar keeps losing value...swing arm stays the same...=(
Dave_89FXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

fxlr wants to know Dino or Syn?
How about the swingarm made by Trac thet are $995
fxlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

beardo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a Metmachex swingarm on my 96 Ducati 900SS/SP. The stock aluminum swingarms on those Ducs are very prone to cracking. I'm very pleased with mine. Much stronger, especially at the vital points! I'll see if I can't dig up any pictures...

Last edited by beardo; 01-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxlr View Post
How about the swingarm made by Trac thet are $995
That's really is a nice looking swing arm they sell. But the price is sorta out of sight. For that much money they could at least have put some bearings in it.

Last edited by Thermodyne; 01-19-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Yes the TRAC swing arms are over priced but so are all parts for harleys.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Premium member of life

I think since i need tires...(may try the avon roadriders) I may take the swingarm off...get it sandblasted and powdercoated, and try the cce kit....i would LOVE to get a metmachex though...is it worth it...looks tough as nails...looks really nice. expensive.....

got a screamin eagle fork brace...hope the brace doesnt fly up into the fairing if i hit a nasty bump...i pushed down on the forks hard as i could seems like enough room......

anyhow stock swingarm and cce kit should be good....but goddamn...metmachex....so nice...........i really want one but does one need it...probably not? looks great...stronger....meh i want one. =/ hehe
Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Merc63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Whats the weight difference between this and stock?

Is it aluminum?

Price?
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_89FXRT View Post
I think since i need tires...(may try the avon roadriders) I may take the swingarm off...get it sandblasted and powdercoated, and try the cce kit....i would LOVE to get a metmachex though...is it worth it...looks tough as nails...looks really nice. expensive.....

got a screamin eagle fork brace...hope the brace doesnt fly up into the fairing if i hit a nasty bump...i pushed down on the forks hard as i could seems like enough room......

anyhow stock swingarm and cce kit should be good....but goddamn...metmachex....so nice...........i really want one but does one need it...probably not? looks great...stronger....meh i want one. =/ hehe
put a zip tie around the fork tube and slide it all the way down. go for a ride. the lower will push zip tie to the highest point. that should tell you if you have enough room for the brace.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

A zip tie. nice I never thought about that one good idea
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAY191 View Post
put a zip tie around the fork tube and slide it all the way down. go for a ride. the lower will push zip tie to the highest point. that should tell you if you have enough room for the brace.
good idea, I'll try that...I was going by the clean to dirty mark on the forks but the zip tie is more solid. it SHOULD be ok...I know when you go to get a new fork brace it always says "Except FXRT"...I saw CWilks had one on his RT, as well as a few others on the internet...I had a Telefix on my old Airhead, and it helped quite a bit, the screamin eagle is also a telefix.

I'm interested to hear how these swingarms perform...what kind of kits are best used with a 1000+ dollar swingarm geez...by the time you're done you'll have 1500 dollars into a swingarm, my dad got a 82 GS1100G with 3000 miles on it a couple months ago...looks like brand new....3k he paid. handles better than the FXR EVER could and is faster... oh so fast.....has air shocks in the front and japanese "konis" in the back...smooth AND comfortable, good riding position... shaft drive....and here we are...discussing swingarms that cost half as much as he paid for an entire bike that kicks ass and takes names...meh I just want to get rid of that wallow, cce kit is enough money to spend I think for now...maybe one day a nice shiny aluminum swingarm...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

beardo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_89FXRT View Post
I'm interested to hear how these swingarms perform...what kind of kits are best used with a 1000+ dollar swingarm geez...by the time you're done you'll have 1500 dollars into a swingarm, my dad got a 82 GS1100G with 3000 miles on it a couple months ago...looks like brand new....3k he paid. handles better than the FXR EVER could and is faster... oh so fast.....has air shocks in the front and japanese "konis" in the back...smooth AND comfortable, good riding position... shaft drive....and here we are...discussing swingarms that cost half as much as he paid for an entire bike that kicks ass and takes names...meh I just want to get rid of that wallow, cce kit is enough money to spend I think for now...maybe one day a nice shiny aluminum swingarm...
First off, you know darn well, comparing that big GS and an FXR is apples and oranges. Two different ways of accomplishing the same thing.

As for the swingarms, what information are you after?

Pretty much already answered. Lighter, stronger and in the case of my Duc, more durable.

Overkill? Absolutely. But, you denying the qualities they bring to the table...
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Since the fork brace came up...I always see the the description for most fork braces say not for chrome lower legs.

Anyone know the reason?

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

ALAY191 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Since the fork brace came up...I always see the the description for most fork braces say not for chrome lower legs.

Anyone know the reason?

~Pete
My guess would be due to machining tolerances. If the clamping area of the brace is machined for lets say 50mm leg it will not fit as well on a chromed leg that is now 51mm due to heavy plating.

I like these kind of braces better

Advertisement