Removable back rest/sissy bar : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Removable back rest/sissy bar

Anyone have any idea how to rig up a back rest for a '94 FXR that can be easily taken off and on? I've got a stock sissy bar and seat setup and I'd like to run around without the pillion sometimes and not have the sissy bar look like a mini sail. I have one from a later model FXD but, the mounting points are at different points and I haven't seen anything available after market. Thanks for any ideas.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

BIGBOPPA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have a look at the backrests off a deuce and similar aftermarket ones that mount under the seat instead of off the fender struts. IMHO they are much neater and can easily be removed/replaced. Some of the aftermarket ones using the same concept as the deuce one are very nice and well designed. I have a mini backrest off a v-rod on my FXR which is very close to this concept. I custom made an adaptor to mount it to the fender behind the seat and it works very well, all my passengers including my wife love it. it only sits about 2-3 inches above the seat so it doesn't look hideous when there is no passenger, and, for that reason I didn't make it easily removable/replaceable, but it can easily be done if you want it that way. Maybe it's not what you are after but it's just another alternative to consider if you are looking for ideas. I am away on the road at the moment and don't have the direct link, but, if you want to have a look at what i am talking about, you go to my thread about my new seat. it has a link to my photobucket pics of my new seat, but, there are other albums there on my profile which are all publicly accessible, one of which has pics of my backrest and mount. I hope this helps.

PLEASE,DO NOT MAKE ME HAVE TO USE MY UNDERTAKERS VOICE!!!

1986 FXRS
80" EVO
BIGBOPPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
They do sell quick release. Kurakyn (SP) makes one that mounts UNDER the rear of your seat and looks pretty clean.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I looked at the Kuryakin (?) one but, I really don't see how it's a quick release. It looks like it bolts onto the fender at three points. I'll have to look at it again. Thanks for the info Krobar. And Bigboppa, I'm interested in seeing how you rigged up a Duece set up on yours if you don't mind.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

V-STRUM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Three bolts is quick release. It's a lot quicker than taking a traditional sissy bar and side plates off.

I have a similar sissy bar that attaches to the 3 passenger pillion bolts, so no side plates. I did a quick search and can't find it, it may be out of production, or is now made by Kuryakin.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOPPA View Post
Have a look at the backrests off a deuce and similar aftermarket ones that mount under the seat instead of off the fender struts. IMHO they are much neater and can easily be removed/replaced. Some of the aftermarket ones using the same concept as the deuce one are very nice and well designed. I have a mini backrest off a v-rod on my FXR which is very close to this concept. I custom made an adaptor to mount it to the fender behind the seat and it works very well, all my passengers including my wife love it. it only sits about 2-3 inches above the seat so it doesn't look hideous when there is no passenger, and, for that reason I didn't make it easily removable/replaceable, but it can easily be done if you want it that way. Maybe it's not what you are after but it's just another alternative to consider if you are looking for ideas. I am away on the road at the moment and don't have the direct link, but, if you want to have a look at what i am talking about, you go to my thread about my new seat. it has a link to my photobucket pics of my new seat, but, there are other albums there on my profile which are all publicly accessible, one of which has pics of my backrest and mount. I hope this helps.
I wouldn't mind some pictures.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I wouldn't mind some pictures.

joe
Here is the direct link
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...racket%20Pics/

and here is a link to what it looks like in its intended role.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

and here is a link to a very nice after market one that mounts under thew seat
http://www.haulenass.com/sissy_bars_backrests

and last but not least here is a link to some pics of the original Duece backrest here on the forum
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-...tml#post162528

1986 FXRS
80" EVO

Last edited by BIGBOPPA; 11-07-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey BIGBOPPA, that splatter paint job on your rear fender reminds me of those malted milk easter egg candies. Woohoo, I can't wait till Easter!

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Hey BIGBOPPA, that splatter paint job on your rear fender reminds me of those malted milk easter egg candies. Woohoo, I can't wait till Easter!

~Pete
Yeah that paint job was on the bike when I bought it 11yrs ago. I have to say its not the paintjob I would get if I was spending my hard-earned cash, but, having said that, I dont really mind it that much so its staying until I can afford to change it.

1986 FXRS
80" EVO
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Here is the direct link
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...racket%20Pics/

and here is a link to what it looks like in its intended role.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

and here is a link to a very nice after market one that mounts under thew seat
http://www.haulenass.com/sissy_bars_backrests

and last but not least here is a link to some pics of the original Duece backrest here on the forum
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-...tml#post162528
Thank you, sir.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for posting up those links Bigboppa. I'm starting to lean towards the Haulen' A$$ version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post

~Pete
I'm with you on that. Easter is about the time the new riding season starts around here.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Hi monkeyboy
The Haulen A$$ one was going to be my choice until I just happened to see the V-rod one one day and liked it because it was such a low profile that I could leave it on all the time without looking hideous, yet it was still enough to stop my wife sliding off the back if I took off quick! I think the kuryakin one is quick release if thats what your after, which is what you originally mentioned you were looking for. Here is the link to it:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/772...issy-Bar-Mount

Although when you take the backrest out, there are still small side brackets left there all the time, and, I dont know how that would look.

1986 FXRS
80" EVO
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

V-STRUM wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Hi monkeyboy
I think the kuryakin one is quick release if thats what your after, which is what you originally mentioned you were looking for. Here is the link to it:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/772...issy-Bar-Mount

Although when you take the backrest out, there are still small side brackets left there all the time, and, I dont know how that would look.
This is the one I have. The entire assembly is held on with the 3 bolts holding on your passenger seat. I just take off the whole thing and put the seat back on, 5 minute job. You just need the base that fits on the fender and use the sissy bar you already have, so cheaper than the Haulin A$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement