The VOES : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Don't monkey with me

Location: Ca - top of a mountain looking at the great Mojave Desert.
wfojon wants to know Dino or Syn?
The VOES

Hi again,
I've been putting on the miles and having a blast but my 1985 FXR is starting to act funny. It runs fine and has a great idle most of the time but it started to drop way down on idle at times then be fine. Now it is starting to do it more often and after reading the FM I saw mention of the voes controlling the advance and that is what this seems to be. Where is this voes and will the generic ones I see advertised work or is there another solution? This is new to me so I appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Jon
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Malx wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm not sure on the fxr's location but on my 98 softail it/s in between the two tanks. Vacuum tube comes off the top the carb. You can test it with a vacuum gauge. Should be between 3-5 inches of vacuum and should hear it clicking. As for aftermarket units, couldn't tell you. I thought the voes is supposed to retard the spark when under load. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong
Malx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

tussuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes... It mounts t the frame just above the Carbby between both cylinders.

Check the manuals for the right one for your year as there are several different pressure units out there.

They are normally bloody reliable...and have bugger all to do with idle. Check the use to it as well as the compliance fittings for your manifold as they go and can give the symptom you have.

I prefer my engine Blown NOT Stroked!
Sent from my FXR powered iPad
D.L.R.A #1174

Last edited by tussuck; 08-28-2012 at 08:57 AM.
tussuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The VOES is just an on-off vacuum activated switch. It tells the ign unit to retard the timing at a preset low manifold absolute pressure. That would be low manifold vacuum for you old school'rs. Anytime you work the motor hard, like lugging a hill, it retards the timing. When it retards, is preset in the switch, but some replacements can be adjusted. How much it retards is a function of the ign unit. VOES off of Sportys are the most performance oriented. Bagger VOES are the least desirable.

The VOES is mid 70's FoMoCo anti knock technology. They used it in conjunction with the fender mounted ignition units. The EVO scooters had them because by law they had to run on 87 octane fuel. Some will tell you that an EVO run on high test has no need of a VOES. That's not completely true.

In your case it's easy to diagnosis. Just unplug it and see if the issues go away. If it does, then test the switch with a vacuum source and a VOM. The switches are mostly trouble free. The rubber hoses decay with age and the wires are susceptible to chaffing. On your scooter it mounts with the same bolt that mounts the left side of the upper engine locator strut. It hangs behind the coil bracket.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Don't monkey with me

Thanks for the replys my friends. I was thinking it retards the timing for starting too. I know I gotta pull some stuff off now and do some testing, I read the test in the FM so I'll get her done.
I'd rather just ride than wrench is my problem...
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

cat5752 wants to know Dino or Syn?
VOES does not retard timing. It advances it. Have you ever heard the term vacuum retard? No, it's because you hear vacuum advance. Which is all the VOES is. When a VOES fails, there is a spring in it that will cause it to fail in the open position, a failsafe if you will. The one time I have had one go out, the silicon in it basically ran out. This created a huge intake leak, and my bike wouldn't do anything but idle. As was said they can be tested with a vacuum pump and a multimeter. Set it on continuity (Ohms) and beeper if you can. Hook one lead to each wire from VOES (don't matter which). Pump up vacuum pump and let air bleed off. Multimeter will be beeping until the switch separates (because the spring overrides the air vacuum). If it quits beeping at 4.5, then you know the VOES is for a light bike, like a Sportster or FXR. If quits at 7, you know it's for a bagger. Anyways, this is a very easy test to do. I would recommend it before you go buying another switch because they are around 60 bucks.

Read this and it will help you understand it.

http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html
cat5752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Don't monkey with me

Thanks for the link, interesting read and informative.
I should have some time tomorrow to test mine.
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.