So I just got this 89 FXRT - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
I installed the air system and pumped it up to 20 lbs. I like the way it handles on the road. Hard to say if the anti dive makes much difference but the general ride feels a bit perkier. As long as it holds air I'm gonna keep it. Certainly nothing negative compared to before
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
FNG :)

DWinTX wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you want self-cancelling signals, check this out:

http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproduct...CSM.htm#ATSIII

I put one on my 82 FXRS and it works great.
DWinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Dave_89FXRT wants to know Dino or Syn?
yogin, glad to hear It's working out for you.

DWinTX, that's great, I had no idea they had those...although I have gotten used to holding the button, It's nice to know I could go with a "Fire and forget" setup...

so now i have something else to add to the wish list. I gotta make a new video of the bike with the new paint...

oh, I hate sitting in traffic...so I was looking at fans, they're too expensive...so since im a nerd and all, and build my own computers...Im all about fans and airflow, so when i find the right fan I'm going to try to make a bracket, for a 120mm PC fan, just have to find the right fan...with the right bearing (many types)...so It can withstand the elements and vibration...alot of PC fans have neat grills too. I'll have to think about where to run power, and get a little on off switch...but...it's alot cheaper than 250-500 bucks...for essentially the same junk...Lenales NEWEST fan deleivers 210 CFM, i found a fan that deleivers 252.8 cfm for 37 bucks...meh. I think I'll try a cheapo fan first as a test subject.
Dave_89FXRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #49 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Are you talking about a fan to keep you cool, or your engine?

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #50 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeet View Post
Are you talking about a fan to keep you cool, or your engine?

~Pete
The engine BigPeet, I don't want to spend 250 bucks, I'm too cheap...

Last edited by Dave_89FXRT; 09-17-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
IronButt

That's where synthetic oil really helps.

And if I recall, didn't you take off your fairing? I could just see, at 80mph, a fan on your handlebars, spinning like the pig's pinwheel on the Geico commercial!

Wee Weeeee Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

~Pete
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
I put a small window unit in the tour pack. Works nice.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #53 (permalink)
Premium member of life

BigPeet, I run Lucas as of right now, it has developed a nice oil leak since I've actually been riding It alot for the first time In its life, overnight It will leave about a 2 inch spot, synthetic would be more prone to leak? And once I go synthetic I have to stick with it right? and I am like that little pig when I ride, but I don't go wee...i go woo. heh and YEAH! cursing to myself in joy... I talk to myself...yell at idiot drivers, stuff like FU@# OUT THE WAY!...

And I do still have my fairing, I love the fairing...I'll never take it off unless I have to do work...I took it off to paint, it looks neat with the cobalt blue/purple/smoked chrome metal flake over BC25 black...I think if I had a bag of mushrooms i would stare at it for hours, should put a unicorn horn on the front fairing and a white horsetail thing on back...and enter It in a bike show, with all those badass bikes covered in IRON CROSSES and SKULLS and all that other tired overused garbage that screams "I'm badass...i swear"...I mean...It Is an FXRT, when you see one it's kinda like seeing a unicorn....hehe could totally pick up all the girls with a unicorn FXRT....they love that stuff ;D I would do something that ridiculous for a one time thing...just to see the looks on peoples faces...

Joe- Small window in the tour pack? what sorcery Is this?

oh..the A.D.D. just kicked in, nice, so I got stock exhaust with hollowed out baffles, sound good...2003 fatboy carb, whatever...they're all very similar from what I understand, it runs well enough where I'm sure it was jetted properly. er...beings It's an 89 I'm almost positive It has the L grind, poor mans EV27, I put a K@N on, it has ACCEL 8.8mm wires. It has a stock coil/ignition system...would It run better with a...Dyna S...or maybe an Ultima 2000i which is apparently a rebadged dyna without the higher price...basically my goal Is to get It running the best It can In a mostly stock form...just wondering If It's worth getting one of those systems. I should be worried about the oil leak...but I'm not worried. let it leak I say! I'll keep an eye on it... I'm going to keep riding...unless there's snow and ice...;D
Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #54 (permalink)
IronButt

Yes, you can always switch back to conventional oil, but why? I think you'll be hard pressed to find a 23yr old bike that doesn't leak a little.

I recalled you saying a while back you took the fairing off, just didn't know it was only to work on it.

Sounds like the bike is coming along good. Let's see some pictures with the new paint!

If you havn't already, take a little extra Ritalin and hit the hay. You'll probably be back to normal in the morning (whatever that is).

~Pete
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
Premium member of life

heheh Ritalin, they tried to feed me that in highschool...I become more un-normal with each passing day, damn rabbit holes and their depth... ;D anyhow here's a crude video shot with my Ipod, I got my girlfriend a kickass camera that takes 720p videos, I'll make a better video when It's nice and sunny out and I have the bags back on, I'm going to order blank aluminum piano hinge off ebay for my bags, the stock hinges are rubbery plastic, warped more than my mind...anyhow here it is...meh this video sucks.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #56 (permalink)
IronButt

Nice paint job! You should get bags to match. Got to have somewhere to put the groceries.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
Nice paint job! You should get bags to match. Got to have somewhere to put the groceries.
You can't just look at the pictures! You have to read the whole post!

~Pete
Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

Sorry, you did mention the bags. I got a metal hinge too. Going to use it for the right side bag that the exhaust warped the plastic hinge on.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #59 (permalink)
IronButt

I just got a pair of stock FXRT shocks from Elvis today. You are gonna smack me but I am starting to like the guy. I paid what seemed like a fair price for the matched set of one air shock and one matched original non air shock. Wasn't really sure about pressures so put 20 lbs in the shock and 20 in the forks. Seems close enough. It rides a little lower than the 13.5" progressive heavy duties that I had been running but feels more balanced or something. Didn't ride it much today. maybe go for a cruise tomorrow and see how it feels.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
Premium member of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
I just got a pair of stock FXRT shocks from Elvis today. You are gonna smack me but I am starting to like the guy. I paid what seemed like a fair price for the matched set of one air shock and one matched original non air shock. Wasn't really sure about pressures so put 20 lbs in the shock and 20 in the forks. Seems close enough. It rides a little lower than the 13.5" progressive heavy duties that I had been running but feels more balanced or something. Didn't ride it much today. maybe go for a cruise tomorrow and see how it feels.
lol how many times did i type out the air pressure specs from the 89 manual...i'm not at home so i can't type them out again...anyhow i wish u would of said something i would of sold you my old ones, i would of even done barter system =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.