Carb Transplant on EVO FXR - Working BUT..... : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

tussuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
Carb Transplant on EVO FXR - Working BUT.....

Hi,
I have just finished an upgrade on my 86 FXR where I replaced my very old Mikuni HS40 and Compliance fittings with a 2002 FXDX CV Carby and the newer one piece manifold.

Obviously the CV Unit was setup for an 88CU Engine with a 48 pilot and 195 Main jet (i noted the jet needle but forgot where I wrote it done). It seems to be fairly much stock as the cap over the Idle screw is still in place, so the prior owner could not have tweaked it too much, given that drilling out the cap to adjust the Idle is about the most common Mod i have read about for this Carb. I have repalced the pilot jet with a size 45....and have had to order in a 180/185 Main Jet as NO shops in town have them in stock.

Bugger...I was writing this to ask about a massive stutter/stammer from the engine from about 2500 RPM onwards when I gave it full throttle ONLY to have the penny drop and realise that I had left the main jet sitting on the bench in the shed...LOL

Well other than the crap WOT performance I'm not too keen on the lower RPM perf either, but will wait until i have the Main jet all set up and then road test more.

Cheers
tussuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'll be keeping an eye on the outcome because I scored a free carb of an 88" myself. Please keep us posted as to what changes you are making and the results.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Will do....I'll take a couple of photos of the setup and put notes in them as I had to customise the stock brackets a little to get things to fit. The Manifold still needs work as i have to properly block off the MAP Sensor hole, but i have a plug in it in the meantime while i tune things up.

But all in all its a fairly painless exercise and I wish that I had at least done the Manifold years ago as the air path is way way smoother than then old Compliance fittings.

(having said that the only reason I'm actually upgrading the Carb is that I am fitting an Aerocharger this winter and the kit comes with a new needle, main jet and spring for a CV Carb - hence the project. Can you believe that the new Main jet is a 220; now thats bloody hugh!)

Last edited by tussuck; 04-15-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

tonyrader wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am confused. i have a 1988 FXR-p that has a CV carb on it. It runs great. I noticed that the pics in the manaul are diff but I was not sure if the prior owner swaped it I guess he Did hun? I have been thinking about putting a Makuni on it.. I hear good thinks about them, better than a Cv carb.. Is any of this correct?
'V-CHARGER' High Performance Air Intake
NGK BPR5EIX11 Iridium Spark Plug.
tonyrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

https://www.denniskirk.com/mikuni/hs....prd/H1695.sku

This one is what I will be getting.. still feeling it out.. My Cv works well.. what do you think It is e-bay worth??
Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Hi....Its all a matter of personal taste i suspect. I have heard time and time again that the CV carby is a great match on fairly standard Evo engines; its only when you get into the big HP and big Displacement engines that an S&S or Mikuni come into their own. So if your a normal engine then just get a perf kit for the CV and see where that takes you as its only about $30 so is well worth a try.

My reason for replacing my Mikuni are:
- Its a HS40 model and is basically unheard of nowadays seen as everyone is running HSR42's etc etc. While its running fine and the bike goes like the clappers - see my third bullet point below.
- I wanted to replace the Compliance rubber fittings on the intake tract as they keep leaking and the airflow path is like a 4wd course.
- I have an Aerocharger turbo that i am fitting over our winter and it comes with all the 'bits' for a CV carb.

If it were not for the Aerocharger i would eventually have upgraded to a Mikuni HSR42 unit as i do like them over all. Also that price your looking at seems a little steep as you can pick them up on Ebay for a couple of hundred less.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrader View Post
I am confused. i have a 1988 FXR-p that has a CV carb on it. It runs great. I noticed that the pics in the manaul are diff but I was not sure if the prior owner swaped it
1990 was the first model year for the CV carburetor on Big Twins.
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

borntoraisehogs wants to know Dino or Syn?
http://www.cv-performance.com/

This outfit sells a deluxe tuners kit for the CV . The best 60 bucks I've ever spent on my bikes.
borntoraisehogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

frisco-rigid wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi Tony

Again Dan spotted the year issue (sharp dude)..
The stock carb for your App is the regular butterfly Keihin,, I personally think they are very good carbs for an 80" motor..

But if you're contemplating a Mik,,, you are going to be in for a real treat..
They say this and they say that,, mostly hear-say crap.. First-hand experience is all that should be considered..
The Mik is a great carb for Stock HD motors as Well as Modified.. You will experience More power/perf and about 10% - 15% better mileage than a CV or any of the Butterfly carbs like an S&S..

I have run all the S&S models for over 34 years (as well as almost every other carb too) and once I ran a Mik I never looked back..
ATM,,, we have 4 Mik's in service,, 45 Miks on an 80" and a 93",, and two 48 Miks on a 120" and a 127"..

I personally do not care what carb you run,, just offering something for your consideration..
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

HighPlainsDrftr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Frisco, that's interesting experience. I haven't had a Mikuni on a Big Twin for many years, but when I did what I remember is how expensive it was for jets and needles compared to an jets for an S&S. Also that no one carried Mikuni jets in Harley sizes (if you have a ricegrinder, they've got you covered).

I have an S&S "E" Shorty on my FXR, and it was jetted based on dyno-tuning by the PO (necessary because of mile-high altitude). It runs clean across the board and I routinely get 45 mpg around town, just under 50 on the road.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrftr View Post
Frisco, that's interesting experience. I haven't had a Mikuni on a Big Twin for many years, but when I did what I remember is how expensive it was for jets and needles compared to an jets for an S&S. Also that no one carried Mikuni jets in Harley sizes (if you have a ricegrinder, they've got you covered).
Hasn't changed much.

My local indy has S&S covered, but you have to put some leg work to find parts for my 42. Nobody local carries anything, and sudco has a minimum order amount that is a PITA if you just need one jet.

Love the Mikuni, and (now that I know where to look for stuff) I would definitely stick with them on future bikes, but when I started out if I would have know then what I know now, I would have gone S&S just for the availibility.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC View Post
1990 was the first model year for the CV carburetor on Big Twins.
That is what I have read. I wondered if it was because My bike Is a police bike and has a few differant options stock. Like ported and milled heads? The dealer ran the vin and told me some cool stuff.. He may have been bullshitting me?? I have not ram a comprestion check On it. So I did not know If Harley used a diff carb early on the cop bikes?? any how thanks for the info..
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco-rigid View Post
Hi Tony

Again Dan spotted the year issue (sharp dude)..
The stock carb for your App is the regular butterfly Keihin,, I personally think they are very good carbs for an 80" motor..

But if you're contemplating a Mik,,, you are going to be in for a real treat..
They say this and they say that,, mostly hear-say crap.. First-hand experience is all that should be considered..
The Mik is a great carb for Stock HD motors as Well as Modified.. You will experience More power/perf and about 10% - 15% better mileage than a CV or any of the Butterfly carbs like an S&S..

I have run all the S&S models for over 34 years (as well as almost every other carb too) and once I ran a Mik I never looked back..
ATM,,, we have 4 Mik's in service,, 45 Miks on an 80" and a 93",, and two 48 Miks on a 120" and a 127"..

I personally do not care what carb you run,, just offering something for your consideration..
Yes I am I want to put a thunderheader on it and a Mik. then have it Dyno'd nad tuned, To make sure it is right.. So It is some big money for me.. I am not sure who will Dyno it.. I need to see what the cost is.. AS I AM SAVING CASH NOW,, Ol ladie better get used to that hard ass seat.. LOL
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Ride Update: Well now that I actually have a Main Jet installed (I put back in the 195 that came with the Carb just to see how it went - based on the theory that worst case I run way too rich) and a smaller Pilot Jet of 45 the bike actually accelerates over 3000RPM...LOL - I still cannot believe i forgot to install the Jet; I was so focused on the fabrication to get it fitted i suppose. So thoughts are:

1. Bike runs well through the RPM range and comes on Strong at the top end, which is what i expect with my EV35 cam though. No stuttering like i had prior, but then again i now have a main jet installed.

2. There is a BIG difference in throttle movement needed to go from 0 - 100%. The Mikuni has a small wheel attached to it so it opens up fully by about 200 Degrees of throttle movement whereas with the CV I recon its about 300 degrees. Suxs big-time as I now have to readjust my hand position if I need to open her up wide.

3. She pops and farts a fair bit on Deceleration - never used to do that with the Mik. Can someone point me to the Decel threads? I am assuming that I have no air leaks at this stage but will check once I'm home again. I'm running an old set of rubber seals for the test phase and now that I'm happy I'll replace them all with new units which are sitting on the bench at home just to be on the safe side.

I do like the CV over the Mikuni HS40 and am sure that once I get out and dial it in this weekend it should be a good investment.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoraisehogs View Post
http://www.cv-performance.com/

This outfit sells a deluxe tuners kit for the CV . The best 60 bucks I've ever spent on my bikes.
You have me curious now. Is it a fairly easy install?

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement