FXR or FXDX : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Blouder wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXR or FXDX

I posted this elsewhere but I think I might have better luck here.

I have ended up with two bikes. I should really only keep one. I need some help figuring out which one.

The FXDX is a 2000 and has custom paint, breather, and pipe. 22k miles. Runs and rides great, but I'm working towards making it handle better and will want it faster soon. Its pretty slow but its a twin cam.

The FXR is a 1986, has a Revtech 100 inch engine, Progressive adjustable rear shocks, after market front end that looks to have air valves on them for adjustment of compression. After market brakes, dual disk up front, after market wheels 19" front 18" rear. It also has a salvage title. I don't really car about the title cause I know why it was salvaged and I'm not building it to sell it. I would build this bike to ride the piss out of it, a canyon carving, pavement pounding monster.

Before the fxr came in the picture, I was considering an after market Chopper guys FXR frame and putting all my FXDX parts on it. The goal was to have twin cam motor, adjustable suspension, with a better frame than the dyna.

So here are some questions,
Is the Revtech 100 inch a better motor than the Twin Cam 88?

Is a 1986 FXR frame better than the FXDX?

Ok, I'm open for thoughts questions and suggestions
Heres the FXDX

Heres the FXR

Last edited by Blouder; 11-28-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Blouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Being an long time owner of one, I'm partial to the fxr. Either is fine. Go with your gut as to which "feels" right to you.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
The FXR is lighter by a lot and handles better than any Dyna, period. Revtechs are good Big Twins with the cases much stronger than Harley Evos. Made in Korea though. Having said all this I don't understand why you can't pick one over the other. You've ridden both right?

Also I can't see tearing apart a perfectly good FXDX to build a Chopper Guys FXR. You'd be better off selling one or both of the other bikes and building your CG bike with new parts. You could probably get $15-$20,000 from those two.
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unca Mike View Post
The FXR is lighter by a lot and handles better than any Dyna, period. Revtechs are good Big Twins with the cases much stronger than Harley Evos. Made in Korea though. Having said all this I don't understand why you can't pick one over the other. You've ridden both right?

Also I can't see tearing apart a perfectly good FXDX to build a Chopper Guys FXR. You'd be better off selling one or both of the other bikes and building your CG bike with new parts. You could probably get $15-$20,000 from those two.
I haven't ridden the FXR yet. It's been sitting for a few years and needs some attention. The motor has been getting fired up regularly though.

I didn't know the Revtech motor was built in Korea. Hmmmm
Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know a guy with two FXR's. One has a fully built Harley 80" Evo and the other has a 100" Revtec. I asked him which he liked the best. He said, "The Revtec. More power and more reliable." You can take that for what it's worth. I've heard mostly good about Revtec but, of course, not all good. My FXR4 is all Harley Screamin' Eagle innards and it's very reliable and fast but not quite as fast as a Revtec 100"er. It's true that there is no substitute for cubic inches.

As far as Korean products go, I personally think their quality in general is close to the same but not quite as good as American these days. Much better than Chinese like most of the Harley accessories. Harley engine parts are still very good quality for the most part and are still made in USA.
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blouder View Post
I posted this elsewhere but I think I might have better luck here.

I have ended up with two bikes. I should really only keep one. I need some help figuring out which one.

The FXDX is a 2000 and has custom paint, breather, and pipe. 22k miles. Runs and rides great, but I'm working towards making it handle better and will want it faster soon. Its pretty slow but its a twin cam.

The FXR is a 1986, has a Revtech 100 inch engine, Progressive adjustable rear shocks, after market front end that looks to have air valves on them for adjustment of compression. After market brakes, dual disk up front, after market wheels 19" front 18" rear. It also has a salvage title. I don't really car about the title cause I know why it was salvaged and I'm not building it to sell it. I would build this bike to ride the piss out of it, a canyon carving, pavement pounding monster.

Before the fxr came in the picture, I was considering an after market Chopper guys FXR frame and putting all my FXDX parts on it. The goal was to have twin cam motor, adjustable suspension, with a better frame than the dyna.

So here are some questions,
Is the Revtech 100 inch a better motor than the Twin Cam 88?

Is a 1986 FXR frame better than the FXDX?

Ok, I'm open for thoughts questions and suggestions

Curious... what's your problem with Evos?

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quite a dilemma. I have a 2000 FXDX that i never want to get rid of. I always wanted an FXR for the frame. My buddy put a TC motor is his 92 FXRT, that to me is the perfect bike. Did I help any?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
I personally would not want a wreck-tec engine. I am partial to FXR's as well. The FXDX has some nice features including the front suspension ... that I why I have a FXDX front suspension on my FXR

If I were to own a Dyna it would be the FXDX however it is not without its own set of problems.

Depending on what is left from the stock 1986 FXR, it has some issues as well. As far as EVO FXR's go, 92-94 and 99-00 are the only ones I would consider.

All that being said, build and ride whatever one you like the most.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to part out the FXR down to the frame and swing arm and use parts from the Fxdx to build a twin cam FXR.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to part out the FXR down to the frame and swing arm and use parts from the Fxdx to build a twin cam FXR.
Now that sounds like a real nice solution!
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

shrewgy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pump the brakes...

Just sell the 2000 FXDX. You need a TC drivetrain (motor, trans, primary) from a bagger to do the TC into an FXR swap. No need to destroy a perfectly good 2000 FXDX, you will get great money selling it.
Oh btw, you posted this in the FXR forum, so expect biased FXR opinions.
Like someone else posted, I too own an FXDXT and will always admire FXRs.
I like the guy that said go with your gut best though, just do some research before you commit.
shrewgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

emwolb wants to know Dino or Syn?
you can find late model 96" twin cam motors pretty easy, now that some guys are getting the 120 r motors to replace them. i've had two dynas, an 02 low rider, and an 07 streetbob, but i now have a 92 fxr with an evo. it's truly a rat bike, but that's okay. it's a neat project, and it'll give me something to do. if you study the triangulation of the frame tubes and the structure, you'll understand why they have been known as the best handling harley ever. there are a lot of die hard fans of the fxr's and i'm one. keep the fxr, you'll dig it. it has the "cool factor" over the sea of twin cam dynas.
emwolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

woodnbow wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well that's one way to go...

Quote:
I'd probably just run the 100 for a while. Lots of guys are running them with zero issues. It's an evo and they're backyard wrench friendly with huge aftermarket support at least compared to twin cams. It's already 100" and it'll spank that 88" in every way until you spend a bunch of money and time building the 88. If you're doing that you could just as well rebuild the 100 balancing and blueprinting along the way and have a motor that's likely stronger and as reliable as any twin cam you could build for the same dollars.

In the end tho' none of your options suck... ;-) It'll be a great build to watch for sure...

It just occurred to me, you could strip both bikes, sell what you don't want and then buy a Screamin' Eagle 110" from the MoCo... they sell em for right at $5000. As long as you're adapting a twin cam anyway that'd give some real bang for your buck. Plus you'd be the first kid on your block with a seriously nasty FXR...

Last edited by woodnbow; 11-28-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Door number III
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well I sold the Fxdx. Time to build the FXR.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well the seller just called and backed out so I still have both. Anybody want a good deal a custom FXDX??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement