Shocks - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Wildside Custom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Works will make the shock to your specs - so you can find the correct valving and set up.
I have 11.5 Billet Fox shocks on my FXR and it rides great..Im 265 lbs
Wildside Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvague View Post
Interesting. I was interested in trying those too. Did you try adjusting them? I agree short and plush don't go together, but I've always been able to find a balance. Plus, for what Works charges, I'd expect a little more. I run Progressive's 11" 412's on mine and haven't been able to get a good ride out of them.

That's a pretty strong blanket statement, but we're all entitled to our opinion's. Even more so on the internet…

I'm only 5'9" and I like to be flatfooted when I put my feet down, not on my tippy toes…fwiw/jmo
I am only 5'9" and not over weight by anymeans. I lowered mine to be flat footed when I stop. My bike handles very well and I have never scraped the pegs in a corner. Now going over a speed bump in a parking lot is different story.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Wildside Custom wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Works or Fox are good shocks and adjustable- Also they will build to your specs spring rate and ... as far as the Progressive's 412's they are as basic as the factory Harley shock or a 1975 Honda Ha Ha I would just cut my springs with torch before i bought the Progressive shocks-
Im just talking about the shocks not trying to insult you.
If someone made a real shock with shim stacks and valving with remote reservoirs and nitro/charged- for Harleys they would make some CASH!
Wildside Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

lurch1980 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got 10.5" Progressive 412s on mine right now and I bottom out and scrape in corners if I really lean it, but I'm about 220lbs (6'6" too and I like the lowered look )... I think I'm going to change over to Works now since the wife is going to be hopping on the back again I'm pretty sure I'm in the custom rate spring territory.
lurch1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Canyon Carver wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have been backing of the springs more and more to the point where I'm almost showing no threads above the knurled adjustment. I think they are better now, but I'm taking the bike over to Works to have them look at it. Maybe the springs are just too stiff. The fellow I bought the bike from was around 200 lbs. I'm at 170lbs and plan on losing around 20lbs.
Thanks for all the advice except for that bendejo from down under.

Last edited by Canyon Carver; 11-10-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Canyon Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

Visited Works Performance today and had Sandy and Tom, both look it over. It was determined the shocks had way too strong a spring and they would re-spring the shocks and rebuild them for a bit over $200. Very nice guys, both.
Tom only rides FXRs and has a couple I think he said. Same year as mine '93. He showed a picture in his phone, nice.
Only problem is they said if I brought the shocks in to them it would be around 5 weeks turn-around. I don't know if I can be bikeless for that long. I start to get grumpy after a couple weeks of no riding.
The weather is too nice in So-Cal and the road calls constantly!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

lurch1980 wants to know Dino or Syn?
yeah, but from what I've heard having those guys work over your shocks will be worth it. You can deal
lurch1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
Visited Works Performance today and had Sandy and Tom, both look it over. It was determined the shocks had way too strong a spring and they would re-spring the shocks and rebuild them for a bit over $200. Very nice guys, both.
Tom only rides FXRs and has a couple I think he said. Same year as mine '93. He showed a picture in his phone, nice.
Only problem is they said if I brought the shocks in to them it would be around 5 weeks turn-around. I don't know if I can be bikeless for that long. I start to get grumpy after a couple weeks of no riding.
The weather is too nice in So-Cal and the road calls constantly!
Hey, maybe they have loaner shocks?

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
A couple years ago I bought a new set of Works shocks for my FXR4. They sent me a nice set but they were 13"ers and stock on the FXR4 were 12" Fox. I too liked the low look so I sent them back and had them shortened to 12". I now wish I had left them at 13" cuz with the bad roads we have up here in NorCal they can beat me to death. I also drag a lot of stuff in the corners. I was even thinking of extending the front end a couple inches for more clearance but I've decided to just take other measures to get the cornering clearance I want.

Bottom line here Lurch is that I think if you are intent on keeping the short shocks but you're going to Works in the hope that it'll cure your bottoming out I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. The only way I think you could stop the bottoming out with 10 1/2" shocks would be if you had Works make you a set with extra stiff springs and extra stiff dampening. Of course then you'll end up with a near hardtail kinda ride. If that's OK with you then go for it dude. I had a bad little '87 Sportster that was slammed front and rear and dragged sheet all the time, especially with my Ol' Lady on the back. Still I loved the look and put up with the poor clearance and bottoming out just because I loved the bike so much.
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Matt, is your FXR chain or belt drive? I want to do the same thing but not sure if the Bagger shocks will clear the belt pulley
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
Matt, is your FXR chain or belt drive? I want to do the same thing but not sure if the Bagger shocks will clear the belt pulley
Mine is belt. My mech/bud says the 84 FXRT air shocks on it are the same as on his 89 FLH.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Can someone explain this 'offset eye' thing? It makes no sense to me.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

On my FXLR the fender mounting points are wider than the swing arm mount points, so the shocks are offset at the lower eyes to allow clearance so the shock body doesn't bang against the side of the fender, belt guard, etc.

Last edited by Canyon Carver; 12-05-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
On my FXLR the fender mounting points are wider than the swing arm mount points, so the shocks are offset at the lower eyes to allow clearance so the shock body doesn't bang against the side of the fender, belt guard, etc.
Thanks. Are you saying that the eye's at a slight angle to the shock? At first, it sounded to me like the eye was square to the shock, but offset from center.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
The lower eye is not centered on the shock but shifted slightly to the side making the shock sit slightly outboard of the bike for clearance. I didn't realize this when i put my shocks on last year and put the left one in backwards and the eye cracked. Had it welded but the mechanic said he wouldn't trust it. Thinking of going to the air shocks but from what I have seen the air shock won't fit on the left side and the original FXRT left shock was special. shorter tighter spring . Regular shocks are adjustable for load but with RT hard bags you can't get access to adjust, hence the convenience of air shocks. I am thinking of just getting a set from Elvis. he has a few sets for about $200-$250 which isn't that bad considering.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement