Too much oil out of breather : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

tussuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
Too much oil out of breather

Hi,

I have an 86 FXR and have just completed some minor works and when I took the bike out for a shakedown run i noticed that there is a lot of oil coming out of the crankcase breather hose. Compression seems fine at 155 per cylinder. What I did was:
- custom steering damper (this cannot be the cause)
- new rear shocks from a 2010 Dyna Wide Glide (awesome ride)
- I Time Sert fixed 3 threads in the cam timing cover, but did not change anything else.

I have also changed over from a very free flowing set of pythons to a 2 into 2 Supertrapp system running 10 defuser disks and a closed end cap.

I know the exhaust is very very restrictive compared to what has been on the bike for the past 20 years, but could they cause such a change in pressure that oil starts to come out of the breather?

This was not the normal oil flow that happens when the bike sits for a month or so due to leakage down into the cam space; this is ongoing.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
tussuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Derrick wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wouldn't think any exhaust pipe would cause that. There is a small screen under that plug in the top of the cam gear case(check your manual) that you can get to by removing the plug and making sure the screen isn't clogged up. The reason this post caught my eye is my '91 has done this before and I can't say if I fixed it or not, it just stopped doing it on it's own. I did take the breather line out of the air cleaner and put one of those little filters on it.Can you tell if the oil is coming from the breather hose or out of the heads? Later models put breathers in the heads for some reason.
Wish I had a clear answer for you, surely someone on here will know more about this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	66424  
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Cheers,

I run the breather hose almost the same as you - a small filter and tucked in behind the rear cylinder. It certainly seems to be coming from the breather filter, so I'll pop the bolt on the tappet screen tomorrow and have a look (if it will even come off as its been a good 10 year sine I checked it)

I'll also have a good look around the heads as well to make sure its not there.

Its made a bloody mess of my new pipes!..lol sigh.

Here is a snap from after today's ride:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/10013801.jpg/

Gosh i really really love the look of the 2:2 units!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I think I have it!

The damn Indy sold me the wrong Cam Cover gasket. Click the picture below to see what I mean; i even went and checked in the James Catalog and it is so.

At least I got to the bottom of things and even managed to check the tappet oil screen as well as replace the screw with a socket head unit.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam Cover Gasket.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	66445  
Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

PanScott wants to know Dino or Syn?
I learned something here

PanScott
2003 103" Electraglide Std
All Screaming Eagle except for exhaust
115,000 miles and counting

1958 Rigid Panhead "Ape Hanger"
Suicide, 74" SU mechanical brakes.
been mine 30+ years

1986 FXRD O.L.'s ride
mostly stock 80" Evo 5 speed
Pro-Street/Touring

1947 EL Bobber
The perpetual project. I'll get back to it when the Pan is fixed again
PanScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Derrick wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tussuck View Post
I think I have it!

The damn Indy sold me the wrong Cam Cover gasket. Click the picture below to see what I mean; i even went and checked in the James Catalog and it is so.

At least I got to the bottom of things and even managed to check the tappet oil screen as well as replace the screw with a socket head unit.

Cheers
I'd say that would do it, good catch. At least there was nothing seriously wrong with it
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

Ozoneye wants to know Dino or Syn?
WTF I just did a cam on my 88 FXR put on a small breather and have same problem, damn aftermarket sh** gasket doesn't .So cone has to come off again. Do you know if pushrods have to be backed off or is there a sweet spot on cam to rotate motor to?
Ozoneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

LOL...Its not the gaskets fault! Its either you not ordering the correct one or the shop selling you the wrong one for your year bike....chit happens sometimes.

If you remove the ignition module and rotor cup you will see the notch on the end of the cam shaft. turn the engine over by hand until the notch is at 5 o'clock (i think its 5 or it may be 7) at this position the rollers are all on the cam heel so you can then just pull the Cam Cover off real easy.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Malx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Funny you should mention the cam cover gasket. I recently put together an 88" evo. 5,550 miles. It has an ev-27 cam. Bottom breather delkron cases. I have excessive oil output from the breather. Ran the hose to a collection can and breather filter. There are two cam cover gaskets. One pre 92 and 92 on up. If using the wrong gasket do you think that would be the cause of the problem.

What makes me wonder is I also have a 80" evo with the same cam and milled heads. It's a top breather and doesnt put out i/2 the amount of oil.. Any suggestions..
Malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozoneye View Post
WTF I just did a cam on my 88 FXR put on a small breather and have same problem, damn aftermarket sh** gasket doesn't .So cone has to come off again. Do you know if pushrods have to be backed off or is there a sweet spot on cam to rotate motor to?
If the cam gears are sized correctly, the cover will slide right off. Use your thumb to keep a little pressure on the cam to prevent it from pulling out.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tussuck View Post
I think I have it!

Cheers
I've purchased a few tired EVO's that were suffering from just that problem. Change the gasket = instant overhaul. That little casting separates the oil return from the vent.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Malx wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the case is a 93 and newer and the cam cover is pre 92 is there an issue with the gasket seating
Malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement