Shocks for my FXR : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wax
Seasoned Rider

Wax wants to know Dino or Syn?
Shocks for my FXR

What are the best shocks I can get for a 93 FXR that will keep the responsiveness of the bike but pamper my kidneys from the NYC potholes I ride through everyday.
I like a stiff ride but the jarring is killing me AND my bike.
Wax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

woodnbow wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use progressives, I think they're 418's. Others on the board run Werks and Ohlins with great success, greater price tag though...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also put Progressive shocks on my Low Rider and they are so much better than the stock shocks. If you ride solo a lot get the standard duty springs.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
One more vote for Progressives. They made a HUGE difference for me. Also Progressives in the forks and use heavy duty if you are at all a big guy. Also unless you really need to lower your bike I advise against shorter than stock shocks. More shock travel is better. Stock forks=12.5" shocks. 2" over forks= 13.5" shocks.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another vote for Progressive's...

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels Homesick just installed tassels
You could try air shocks. Lower pressure for your kidneys, higher when appropriate.

joe
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

V-STRUM wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm one of the few people that like the stock shocks, which are 13.5" for my bike, but I've run 12.5" Sportster shocks and was happy. Here's some other shocks I've had:

Progressive 412 - Harsh, kidney killers.

Progressive 418 - Nice, but started going south after 20K miles
and they aren't rebuildable.

Works Performance - Harsh, even after being sent back 2 times (Street Trackers) for tweaking, they just couldn't be dialed in.
Expensive and only adjustable for pre-load.

By the way I'm 180lbs. so if your heavier you may get different results. Ohlins have always been considered the best, Progressive has some new models that look pretty good, and Ikon (formally Koni) look interesting, but I don't know anything about them.
V-STRUM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

HDFXR wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Works Performance shocks on my '91 are not harsh when properly preloaded.
HDFXR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a set of Works Performance shocks on my FXR4. The stock (for an FXR4) length of 12" limits travel some. I wish I had gone for 13". You can't have too much travel. Works shocks are rebuildable and their service is good. One of their main service guys is a fellow FXR fan.

One of my friends runs Progressive 412's on his tricked out FXR. He has a custom shop in San Jose and says the only difference between the various models of the oil dampened Progressives is style (chrome and covers ...etc.). The innards are the same.

As far as harshness goes you have to be careful how you order them. When you buy a set from Works you will talk to a person, preferably their FXR dude. He will ask you what percentage of riding you do solo or two up and with this info he will recommend a certain spring/dampening setup. The problem with this is that it will always be a compromise number. If you almost always ride solo I'd get the lighter springs and just keep the fat chicks off the back of the bike. You'll get a more plush ride when solo and with the bad roads around the country these days that is important. Same goes if you get Progressives. Don't get the Heavy Duty shocks unless you're planning on carrying a a lot of weight most of the time.

From comparing my Works Performance shocks with my bud's Progressives I'd say they perform about the same. The Works are, again, rebuildable. Sometimes you can find good deals on Ebay for Progressives for half the price of a set of either Works or Progressives. The hard part of ordering off Ebay is getting the right spring weight and length to suit your needs.

One other thing... longer shocks give you more clearance in the corners by lifting the rear of the bike. Unless you are wanting a "low rider" look I'd go for 13" shocks.

My two cents worth.

Last edited by Unca Mike; 05-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Unca Mike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

JayFL459 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unca Mike View Post
I have a set of Works Performance shocks on my FXR4. The stock (for an FXR4) length of 12" limits travel some. I wish I had gone for 13". You can't have too much travel. Works shocks are rebuildable and their service is good. One of their main service guys is a fellow FXR fan.

One of my friends runs Progressive 412's on his tricked out FXR. He has a custom shop in San Jose and says the only difference between the various models of the oil dampened Progressives is style (chrome and covers ...etc.). The innards are the same.

As far as harshness goes you have to be careful how you order them. When you buy a set from Works you will talk to a person, preferably their FXR dude. He will ask you what percentage of riding you do solo or two up and with this info he will recommend a certain spring/dampening setup. The problem with this is that it will always be a compromise number. If you almost always ride solo I'd get the lighter springs and just keep the fat chicks off the back of the bike. You'll get a more plush ride when solo and with the bad roads around the country these days that is important. Same goes if you get Progressives. Don't get the Heavy Duty shocks unless you're planning on carrying a a lot of weight most of the time.

From comparing my Works Performance shocks with my bud's Progressives I'd say they perform about the same. The Works are, again, rebuildable. Sometimes you can find good deals on Ebay for Progressives for half the price of a set of either Works or Progressives. The hard part of ordering off Ebay is getting the right spring weight and length to suit your needs.

One other thing... longer shocks give you more clearance in the corners by lifting the rear of the bike. Unless you are wanting a "low rider" look I'd go for 13" shocks.

My two cents worth.
Good post Unca Mike .. Still on the Fence about Shocks but the Stock Shocks on my FXR4 sucked when riding the Twisties up in Carolina which just got back from .. My Right side Muffler Clamp is shot and my Left side foot peg is Half Gone ... Could have went faster through the Dragon on my Ultra was scraping so bad ..
Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

yogin wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had posted that I wanted to sell a pair of shocks but just found out that it was against the rules to post it here. My apologies. Not sure how to delete this

Last edited by yogin; 05-03-2011 at 03:37 PM.
yogin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this? cwilks is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'm sure one of the hair trigger mods will be along shortly
Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogin View Post
I had posted that I wanted to sell a pair of shocks but just found out that it was against the rules to post it here. My apologies. Not sure how to delete this
Just send the member a PM.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

woodreaux wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put some 12" Progressive 412 on my FXR and didn't like them.
Bottomed out and never could get the ride quality I was expecting.

I found a pair of Ohlins 13" shocks for a bagger that a guy didn't like
and am using them on the FXR. Not bad - not great but as stated more travel is better.

From my experience the minimum shock I would put on any FXR is a 13" or 13.5" shock.

Good kuck and post what you end doing.
woodreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFL459 View Post
Good post Unca Mike .. Still on the Fence about Shocks but the Stock Shocks on my FXR4 sucked when riding the Twisties up in Carolina which just got back from .. My Right side Muffler Clamp is shot and my Left side foot peg is Half Gone ... Could have went faster through the Dragon on my Ultra was scraping so bad ..
Yeah Jay, the stock length FXR4 shocks keep the bike way too low if you like to attack the twisties. My friend with the tricked out FXR has his bike a lot higher than my bike and has no problems what so ever in the turns. He terrorizes Ducatis at times. He has a Chopper Guys FXR frame with a Supertrapp "high" 2into1 exhaust. High here doesn't mean way up high just more tucked in and a slight upsweep to the muffler. Everything else is just all tucked in tight, including a custom kickstand. 18" rear Sun alloy wheel and a 19"er on the front. I'll try to attach a pic of his bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0 (22).jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	65041  
Unca Mike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.