84 fxrs starter problem : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

smitty61 wants to know Dino or Syn?
84 fxrs starter problem

i just bought this bike with the bendix broken off from what it looks to be grinding against the fly wheel. i said no problem replace it and have a good deal. replaced it put it back together hit the start button sounds like the motor spins but doesnt engage and then just keeps spinning after i let the button have to disconnect the battery to stop it. after that i replaced the solenoid still the same thing checked the wiring made sure the bendix moves freely while its still attatched to the solenoid. everything i have tried has stumped me any suggestions?
smitty61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Darrylick wants to know Dino or Syn?
84 FXRS Starter Issues...

On the 84's the starter is a Prestolite/ or more likely a Hitachi(shorter) strater motor. First thing is drop voltage test these three components...Starter relaysmall 1 inch plactic block w/ 4 slot holes slide onto the retainer left of main circuit breakers(located in triangle weld side), Solenoid (located to right of starter), then the starter itself. You will need a tester and shop manual or at the least a Clymer will get you on your way. Most starter issue are due to faulty ground to frame issues(negative wire to the frame), loose battery wires or corrosion, improper or grounded switch wires from handlebars to relay. The issue is fairly simple, if you hear a click-solenoid has ramped up the starter and most likely the starter may have issues with the brushes(small metal copper posts soldered to the housing(pos) and the other two metal copper posts soldered to the removable plate. This plate slip onto the rotating shaft with copper panels and if you see broken or chipped and uneven wear, this may cause hard starting problems. Other issues could be the starter wiring to brushes may by frayed due to the through bolts whichtravel the lenth of the starter to the starter housing and screw into place. You will need a retainer to secure the starter to the frame(j and P sells them they look like a C with a hole.
The starter/solenoid is a big design flaw for the FXRS(and was later improved to include both unit s into one component. Best advice is change out both inner and outter primary for a later model one-get the Spyke or All balls high out starter-problem solved. Another issue is the throwout to clutch, inspect the travel of the arm and clutch for worn teeth or broken chipped teeth(removal of primary is necessary to inspect this) on both these-if present-the rotation is not aligned and or maybe an issue with the spring, worn out bearing or main shaft... Good luck
Darrylick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

capnfred wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the motor is spinning freely and you replaced the soleniod then most likely the problem is with the starter relay... try disconnecting the cable from the solenoid to starter, press the starter button... see what the solenoid does, take the primary cover off so you can see what it is doing... when it engages does the gear fully mesh with the ring gear (clutch)...if it does then you may have a bad bendix...(the one way drive that spins the clutch .....once you have the solenoid/bendix working right.. hook the starter back up... one other issue I found on my scoot was the P.O. had the wrong starter housing for the primary... mine is an 84 in VIN only a real frankenstein, does your housing fit onto a large roll pin on the front bolt hole... if so does the housing have a corresponding relief in the hole to fit the roll pin. Mine did not have the relief and the starter was cocked in the mount and would oscillate as it cranked,,,, this ended up in a cracked ear on the housing...anyway keep us infjormed as to your progress.... Also make sure the support bracket on the end of the starter is bolted to the Trans cover, and is securely attached to the starter endplate.... once you do that loctite is your freind.

capn
capnfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Darrylick wants to know Dino or Syn?
forgot to add...on the earlier models, the negative ground to frame battery cable is SUPPOSED to bolt to outside of starter housing..if its on the inside of the housing you have an uneven seat and will spin the starter shaft incorrectly...although this seems like a small thing at high speed revolutions the shaft may not engage the drive smoothly and will eventually lead to wear on the shaft gear. just a thought
Darrylick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.