85 fxr fairing : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

vaquerorngr wants to know Dino or Syn?
85 fxr fairing

hey guys, I'm new here, my first post. I got on here a couple of days ago and haven't been able to stop reading.

My question is I have an 85 fxr. I want to put the Harley Davidson quarter fairing on it. I know there is ness and rifle and others, but I want the harley one. It says it will fit the 1988 up fxr's. Why is it, that it won't fit below an 88. What's the difference in the front ends that would keep it from working.

thanks,

Michael
vaquerorngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

plugeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
welcome to the forum
it probably mounts to the fork tubes
your 85 model has 35mm tubes. '87 and up have 39mm tubes
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
I am not sure what you mean by QUARTER fairing. What is the fairing specifically? Do you have a pic?

As far as fitting goes, if it is a fork mounted fairing, 87-up had 39mm forks. Prior to that they came with 35 mm forks. Basically it is a completely different front end, different forks, different tripple trees, different brakes.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is a mini visor and quarter fairing in the Harley parts and acc catalog. The quarter fairing is similar but smaller than the fairing that came on the FXDXT models. Some of the bikes on SOA have them. They have become sort of trendy.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...8#ht_891wt_941
Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

ahhhh ... I know what the FXDXT has. I am sure it could be made to fit the 35 mm front end but will require some custom brackets. It is all a matter of how bad you want it. Personally I would dump the entire 35 mm front end and get a later 39 mm front end and put it on. The handling and braking is a significant improvement over the 35. Then the fairing would bolt right on. The front end swap has its own set of problems but nothing major. And when I say that is what I would do, it is because it is what I did. My 83 FXRT has a 2000 FXDX front end now and WOW what an improvement.

207-621-8089
Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

vaquerorngr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for all the replys

When you all are talking about 35mm and 39mm what exactly are you talking about on the forks. Is that the distance between the forks.

springer,
How much did it cost you to switch over. When I got my bike it already had what looks like an aftermarket front end with dual discs on it. I say it looks aftermarket because I haven't seen an 85 with dual discs (I could be wrong). And the forks look a little wider and the headlight is in a different spot from others I have seen.

Michael
vaquerorngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

It cost me a few hundred, i bought stuff on ebay to do the swap. the 35mm vs 39mm refers to the diameter of the fork tubes.

207-621-8089
Old 03-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

The 35mm to 39mmis a good upgrade. Better brakes, stiffer fork tubes, better suspension. There are several versions of the 39mm narrow glide fork. The early ones had a steel lower tree. The 84-99 models had what I call Evo brakes, the single-piston, self centering caliper. Models were available in single or dual disk. The 2000 and up have what I call the twin cam brakes and came in single or dual disk versions. The best narrow glide made was on the FXDX or FXDXT. It had the cartridge suspension with adjustable rebound and preload along with dual twin cam brakes.

All of these forks will just about bolt on to any FXR frame with a minimum of fuss.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by econnor View Post

All of these forks will just about bolt on to any FXR frame with a minimum of fuss.
Steering stops, fork lock and speedo drive all present issues depending on the front end chosen. Also the FXR frames had some differences in the sterring stops and fork lock depending on year as well.

The biggest issues come in using the FXDX adjustable front end. No speedo drive.

Nothing that can't be overcome.

207-621-8089
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

The no speedo drive is only an issue if you use the newer wheel as the sending unit will not fit.

If the wheel with timken bearings is used the speedo drive unit works just fine. My brother has the cartridge forks on his narrow glide and uses the speedo sending unit.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Dill wants to know Dino or Syn?
The fxdx was my other choice when I found my fxr.
I'm interested in doing the fork upgrade, one question could I run the better brakes on my fxr wheels so I wouldn't have to worry about the speedo?
Also how much are the fxdx forks running, it wasn't a terribly popular bike after all. I'm guessing there must not be too many forks available.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by econnor View Post
The no speedo drive is only an issue if you use the newer wheel as the sending unit will not fit.

If the wheel with timken bearings is used the speedo drive unit works just fine. My brother has the cartridge forks on his narrow glide and uses the speedo sending unit.

You are correct, I changed the entire front end, retaining the late model wheel, brakes, axle, spacing, etc. There are no provisions for the speedo drive.

Until this year I just ran without a speedo but I am going to use a GPS as a speedo this year.

207-621-8089
Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
The fxdx was my other choice when I found my fxr.
I'm interested in doing the fork upgrade, one question could I run the better brakes on my fxr wheels so I wouldn't have to worry about the speedo?
Also how much are the fxdx forks running, it wasn't a terribly popular bike after all. I'm guessing there must not be too many forks available.
I bought 2 of them on eBay. I paid about $200 for each one. Both were complete with calipers, axle, spacers and forks. Neither had tripple trees. If you can still get them new, they are VERY expensive. IIRC the last time I checked it was like $900 new.

207-621-8089
Old 03-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Dill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well the triple trees from the fxr fit the forks right?
Do you still have spare that you'd sell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement