Sealed Wheel Bearing Retro-Kits : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Bugger77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sealed Wheel Bearing Retro-Kits

Does anyone know if the Sealed Bearing Kits to replace the tapered bearings in early wheels can be still purchased and from who? They were originally made by FTM.
Bugger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Lakerat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hope someone chimes in here. I have looked for this conversion myself with no results. It may be that there is no source for a kit, but maybe someone has a parts list with the correct way to measure for the necessary spacers.

92 FXLR
97 Ultra (RIP)
98 95th Anniversary Ultra
PGR
Lakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

baroth1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
well

A few years ago I talked to someone from FTM (Mario, I think) and was told that there wasn't enough interest to make another run of bearings. He had some kits left and would sell them, but did not anticipate any new ones being manufactured. I called because I wanted a few spare bearings for myself, all he would sell was the kits. I don't know if he still has anything left, but I would contact FTM and ask them.

http://www.ftmusa.net/
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

JohnC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check out V-Twin part number 44-2995. I just replaced the front and rear timken bearings on my '99 softail (laced wheels) with these kits. The only thing I had to do was go with some custom axle spacers. I don't know why the description indicates "rear" since on my bike the bearings, sleeves, etc. are the same front and rear. So I took a chance and ordered two kits and they installed in my wheels with no issues.

Here's the description from the VT catalog:

Rear Double Row Retro fit wheel bearing kits for models with Timken bearings. Double-row wheel bearings eliminate wheel play, have a longer wear life, require no adjustment. Kits include two bearings, center spacer & spacers. Fit 1984-99 FXST, FLST, 1991-99 FXD, XL. VT No. 44-2995

Last edited by JohnC; 01-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

plugeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
what are you trying to accomplish?
fitting a bigger axle? going from superior weight bearing rollers to ball bearings buys you less maintenance i suppose...
for me, it made more sense to retain the rollers. inspect/ clean/ repack each tire change for peace of mind at least.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement