FXR on a big guy...? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Deströyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXR on a big guy...?

Hi,

Just joined in to ask few questions about FXR.

I'm drooling over one '82 Shovel FXR, but it's located a bit far from where I live.

I used to ride a '91 Sportster with wide tank, rear and forks and that seemed a bit too small for me.

So, my question is, how tall/big rider will fit on a FXR?

How's the frame dimensions compared to Sporty?

I know, you should test drive it to be sure, but the distance is the problem. I don't want to drive 200mls just to find out, that I look like a elephant on a small tricycle on this bike...
Deströyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

michaelbarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm 6' 2" tall, 295 lbs.

But I only have a 30" inseam..(I have a very long torso)..but it's very comfortable for me.
michaelbarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
I'm 6'3'', 250 lb, about a 35" inseam. I use forward pegs and shift with my heel. I rode my '82 ironhead the same way. FXRs're a perfect fit for me.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Van_Kerr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi ... I'm 6' 4", 200 Ilbs with wide tanked FXR. I ride it with mid controls and like to throw it around so have fitted Hagon Nitros shocks, inside leg/seam is 34/35" and only after riding 250 - 300 miles will it start to effect me. Tried forward controls but can't get on with them. Bike doesn't feel small and when viewed on it the bike & myself (almost) look in proportion, unless you buy a custom or high level tanked frame/bike and spend double the price you'll be struggling. Someone else wrote on this site that everyone always thinks he's on a Sportster when he rides his FXR.
Van_Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

bmanchee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just for posterity
I'm 6 ft. tall, 230 pounds, with a 32 inch inseam. My FXRT feels just right to me. Mid-mount pegs are no probs - of course I had to get floorboards for the extra comfort factor - LOL. Then again, the bike I had before was a sportster roadster with mid-mounts also - a little more cramped than the FXRT, but doable. Everyone is different - its hard to say what will feel right to you. Good luck with your search.
bmanchee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Deströyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the quick responses!

Couldn't keep my hands off the bike, so i rode to see it yesterday. I'm 6' 3" and 240lbs, and the bike was just perfect with the forward controls.

Too bad it wasn't a shovel, it had a 1340 Evo, but still...

We'll see on friday what happens...
Deströyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

FlyingGasCan wants to know Dino or Syn?
IMO, you big guys all need bigger bikes. At 5'10" and 208lbs I personally think I'm too big for a Dyna frame and for that reason went to a bagger. When I see guys my size on a Sportster I joke about it, and seeing someone with more height & weight on a Dyna looks just like the Sportster with a guy my size on it? Just an honest opinion so please don't take offence but at 240 up, y'all need a bagger.

Let the flaming begin!
FlyingGasCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

michaelbarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGasCan View Post
IMO, you big guys all need bigger bikes. At 5'10" and 208lbs I personally think I'm too big for a Dyna frame and for that reason went to a bagger. When I see guys my size on a Sportster I joke about it, and seeing someone with more height & weight on a Dyna looks just like the Sportster with a guy my size on it? Just an honest opinion so please don't take offence but at 240 up, y'all need a bagger.

Let the flaming begin!
No flaming from me...bikers don't care what they look like..as long as it feels right.
michaelbarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGasCan View Post

Let the flaming begin!
LMAO - no flames here, but I got the best of both worlds. FXRT - a bagger that can actually manuver!

(Okay maybe its a little flame )
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanchee View Post
LMAO - no flames here, but I got the best of both worlds. FXRT - a bagger that can actually manuver!

(Okay maybe its a little flame )

Here we are, geniuses of a feather. That's my ride too.

joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyRide2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	54090  
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Nice lookin' FXRT there Joe!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

gsxrboy96 wants to know where he is and how he got here
I thought my fxr was a bit small for me, im 6'1 and 265lbs, so i sold it and bought a bagger, boy do i miss my fxr...
gsxrboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanchee View Post
Nice lookin' FXRT there Joe!
Thanks man. It takes one to know one. I love 'em.

gsxrboy96, I was surprised to discover that I could stretch out better on my 'small' FXR than on the 'big' FLs. Plus, I prefer sitting 'in' my FXR to sitting 'on' my brother's FLs.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

gsxrboy96 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Thanks man. It takes one to know one. I love 'em.

gsxrboy96, I was surprised to discover that I could stretch out better on my 'small' FXR than on the 'big' FLs. Plus, I prefer sitting 'in' my FXR to sitting 'on' my brother's FLs.

joe
Yea, im just gonna have to buckle down and have one of each! lol, I miss riding my fxr in town, but the fl is the **** on big trips,
gsxrboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

ClassicRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
So, my question is, how tall/big rider will fit on a FXR?

Well I would have answered this question by stating that someone 5' 4" - 5' 11" would be the perfect size for an FXR. BUTTTTTT seeing 3-4 of you guys a lot taller (into the
6' 4") throws that reflection out the window....lol....

I suppose the best way to answer this question now is to say anyone over 6' 0" will find an FXR comfortable to ride based upon individual preference.....

To you guys over 6' and who find the FXR comfortable that's awesome.....

I am 5' 10" with boots and orthodics....and my FXR2 is quite comfortable.....

Regards,

"Classic"
ClassicRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.